• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Aspiring firearm store owner problems

RPLHVAC

NES Member
Hey guys so I recently decided I want to go for my FFL, I found a mill type place in new Bedford about 10min away from my house. Reach out and was elated to hear they are zoned for light manufacturing! So the property manager asks what kind of business I'm looking at opening. I send a very professional email and spell it out and even include wanting to sell to police departments to try and make it sound less scary. Well I'm sure you can guess the answer I got "we have decided to stay away from these types of businesses thank you for considering us". So I'm feeling rather defeated and feel like I'm fighting a losing battle. Is there anywhere besides the Littleton mill (an hour and 15min away from me) that would rent to a firearms store? I realize this is Massachusetts and they hate guns here but do they hate money too? Any advice or suggestions or anyone want to rent a space to me?!

Hey guys so I recently decided I want to go for my FFL, I found a mill type place in new Bedford about 10min away from my house. Reach out and was elated to hear they are zoned for light manufacturing! So the property manager asks what kind of business I'm looking at opening. I send a very professional email and spell it out and even include wanting to sell to police departments to try and make it sound less scary. Well I'm sure you can guess the answer I got "we have decided to stay away from these types of businesses thank you for considering us". So I'm feeling rather defeated and feel like I'm fighting a losing battle. Is there anywhere besides the Littleton mill (an hour and 15min away from me) that would rent to a firearms store? I realize this is Massachusetts and they hate guns here but do they hate money too? Any advice or suggestions or anyone want to rent a space to me?!
New Bedford is a complete unadulterated shithole that hates small business. They did you a favor.

There’s a series of FFLs in a Bridgewater office building; South Shore Guns, etc.

do you want to open a full 9-5 gun shop business? it's very hard to do that and be successful and make money. i was doing it in the 90's and it's so completive...and no real internet shopping then. you could be a hobby ffl and probably do ok, but there are dozens and dozens of them now. just saying, be careful what you wish for.

OP, is it required that you tell them what the business will be?

Like what if you told them you wanted to open a pet store, and end up opening a clothing store or an FFL.

Can they cancel the lease saying you lied to them?

Don't mess with the 01FFL. Get the 07. You will have the 01 privileges and as a manufacturer you will fit in the industrial/commercial zones. You can also call Boston ATF. They are always looking for work (licensing/interviews) and may know of operations similar to the Mill in your area. Jack.

OP, is it required that you tell them what the business will be?

Like what if you told them you wanted to open a pet store, and end up opening a clothing store or an FFL.

Can they cancel the lease saying you lied to them?
You can't play games with leases. The lease and even simple rental agreements will lnclude the type of activity. Jack.

Pretty sure another "mill type" building exists in MA.
I bought a custom holster from one just can't remember where as I had it shipped but it was not Littleton
smaller of course

So many people start a business focusing on the easy stuff. Getting a commercial location. Creating a website and getting a cool domain. Getting a phone number that ends in a couple zeroes and is easy to remember.

In the case of a gun shop they'll need a safe or two for storage. Cases for display. Perhaps a POS system. Get a tax id and make sure they have a way to pay sales taxes.

And let's not forget about that pesky accounting that needs to be done. And taxes too. Creating accounts with distributors and more.

And none of that will help you sell a single thing. The hardest part about opening a business like this is getting customers who are willing to part with their hard earned cash for the goods and services you want to offer. There's sales efforts that fall apart because the customer can buy the gun for $20 less at another dealership. There's the marketing required to create awareness. Everything you do is a time sink. Lots of effort required before you sell gun #1.

As someone else pointed out there's a lot of competition. I walk into The Mill and there's door after door of FFL's. There's a bunch in Bridgewater as well.

What sets you apart? How can you operate profitably? And stay current on all the ATF rules and regs plus Massachusetts laws and such.

Just think about what I say here...

Rich

Don't mess with the 01FFL. Get the 07. You will have the 01 privileges and as a manufacturer you will fit in the industrial/commercial zones. You can also call Boston ATF. They are always looking for work (licensing/interviews) and may know of operations similar to the Mill in your area. Jack.
That was my intention 07 FFL with sot. I'm not looking for this to replace my primary income, just as a side hustle and build customers and eventually when I retire from being a union HVAC guy I can go full time.

do you want to open a full 9-5 gun shop business? it's very hard to do that and be successful and make money. i was doing it in the 90's and it's so completive...and no real internet shopping then. you could be a hobby ffl and probably do ok, but there are dozens and dozens of them now. just saying, be careful what you wish for.
I know what I'm getting Into, have quite a few friends operating FFL and regular 9-5 gun stores, this isn't a primary income for me and may never be. I have my reasons for wanting into the business and have a primary income to back it up

I know what I'm getting Into, have quite a few friends operating FFL and regular 9-5 gun stores, this isn't a primary income for me and may never be. I have my reasons for wanting into the business and have a primary income to back it up
the best to you in your endeavor!

Last edited:
I bought a custom holster from one just can't remember where as I had it shipped but it was not Littleton
smaller of course
I think you must be referring to MK-TeK in Rockland, MA. They operate out of an old mill building and several FFLs have popped up around them in recent years.

Todd and his wife own and operate the holster company. He's a former Army Ranger and a really good guy with whom to do business. I'm sure he would be happy to talk with anyone wanting to explore becoming a tenant at the mill building. The link below shows his contact information:

Good luck!

So many people start a business focusing on the easy stuff. Getting a commercial location. Creating a website and getting a cool domain. Getting a phone number that ends in a couple zeroes and is easy to remember.

In the case of a gun shop they'll need a safe or two for storage. Cases for display. Perhaps a POS system. Get a tax id and make sure they have a way to pay sales taxes.

And let's not forget about that pesky accounting that needs to be done. And taxes too. Creating accounts with distributors and more.

And none of that will help you sell a single thing. The hardest part about opening a business like this is getting customers who are willing to part with their hard earned cash for the goods and services you want to offer. There's sales efforts that fall apart because the customer can buy the gun for $20 less at another dealership. There's the marketing required to create awareness. Everything you do is a time sink. Lots of effort required before you sell gun #1.

As someone else pointed out there's a lot of competition. I walk into The Mill and there's door after door of FFL's. There's a bunch in Bridgewater as well.

What sets you apart? How can you operate profitably? And stay current on all the ATF rules and regs plus Massachusetts laws and such.

Just think about what I say here...

Rich

If he's not at full retail storefront (with its associated heavy rent encumbrances) he can kill a lot of costs up front that way at least.

The armpit region, on the other hand, chews up and spits out retail FFLs on a rotating basis, so there's that. However expansions of the market over the last 2+ years tells me theres still more demand and room for new dealers. Especially "down there".

smaller of course
In Worcester,

Larocca gun shop is here:

There are a lot of different shops here:

Massachusetts in general hate all business no matter what. This is the most openly hostile to business state I believe of the 50. I was almost ready to blow milk out of every orifice in my body when Charlie Baker last week exclaimed that if companies want to support abortions they can move the business to Massachusetts. It's not guns, it's anything unless it's a whole foods, birkenstocks, weed store or upscale alcohol store for the left leaning weenies after a hard day of negotiating down an insurance claim from some little old ladys leaky roof in Podunk, Arkansas.

I appreciate all the Input! I'm wondering if I should just bite the bullet (no pun intended) and see if I can get into the Littleton mill just to start out and then can work on relocating closer to my home. I'm still checking around and haven't given up on a place closer just yet. I reached out to mk tek as you suggested @aeromarine , I also am looking into the Bridgewater space mentioned

2-1/2 hours of driving for every day you open the shop? Might want to rethink that.

I've had a couple kickass businesses that started out as part-time hobbies. We really do need a South Shore Mill. No offense to Littleton.
The driving just makes it cost prohibitive or else I’d already be set up at the mill

Back
Top Bottom