Any Re-enactors??

Just wondering if there are any fellow re-enactors out there. My husband and I are part of the 35th VA dismounted Cav in the War of Northern Aggression. :D If anyone's interested, there's a one day living history event in E. Bridgewater this coming Saturday (April 8th - I think...what day is this??) that we'll be at if you live near there and have nothing to do. It's at Sachem Rock Farm on Plymouth St. from 10AM to 4PM. I'm Cpl. Lyndon and he's Trooper Doob. He's married to my, ah, sister. [lol] I use a neat Enfield muskatoon that's been cut down (before my owning it) for cavalry use...and, it's original. I love my musket...then again, I love all my guns! :D If you're in the neighborhood - stop by and say Hi!

I don't but my sister and her whole family belong to, I think the 3rd ME regmnt. Her husband the Rgmnt leader I think not sure what rank he's given. her and their kids get into the whole re-enactment thing as well. travel to G.berg each year for the fun there and a few lg events in VA too I think.

As an FYI for the Living History even this Saturday in E. Bridgewater....due to the impending flood, it will probably be postponed. My unit has cancelled out of it....course, the Yankees may still show up. :D

Is this rescheduled for Saturday, April 9th?

If so, what time are Ed and you on and "off duty"?

Not sure that Deena and I can make it, as I have a date with a vampire (American Red Cross) at 9:15 and need to be up in Framingham area by ~4PM. Too bad our day is crowded or we could have taken you shooting to either Ames R&P or Braintree R&P (lots of smokepole'rs there . . . including my favorite relics, Don Kusser and Rod Lundin).

LenS said:
Is this rescheduled for Saturday, April 9th?

If so, what time are Ed and you on and "off duty"?

Not sure that Deena and I can make it, as I have a date with a vampire (American Red Cross) at 9:15 and need to be up in Framingham area by ~4PM. Too bad our day is crowded or we could have taken you shooting to either Ames R&P or Braintree R&P (lots of smokepole'rs there . . . including my favorite relics, Don Kusser and Rod Lundin).

Nope - it was then or never, last I heard anyway. Ed will be drilling with the Subury Militia on Saturday for Patriot's Day. he won't be taking part in the fighting (which is the weekend before the Monday holiday) but he will be an interpreter (sp?).

I'll have to look at our list and post the ones that are scheduled in this area (or close to this area :D ). I'll post it when I get a chance for those that are interested.

For those of you who may be in Ben Salem, PA the weekend of April 30th and May 1st... We have a reenactment at the Nasheminy State Park that weekend. It's cool place to hold a war. [lol] Last year there was a herd of deer that we surprised during one of the tacticals. A few of the guys were wishing they had a couple of live rounds. [lol] Not that I expect it, but if anyone is interested in it, email me off topic and as soon as I get the directions, I'll forward them to you.

For anyone that's interested...

There's a civil war re-enactment this weekend in Templeton, MA. Sat and Sun - I think it opens to the public at 10AM until 5ish. If you're inclined to go, email me and I'll send you directions.

Next couple of Civil War events are:

The first weekend after the 4th of July (8 and 9 or 9 and 10 - I forget) in Belchertown, MA.

The end of July - Groton, MA (that should be a good one)

Again, if anyone's interested - email me for info and directions.

Cpl. Lyndon, 35thVA, Co. B
(aka Lynne :D )

Civil War Reenactment this weekend in Belchertown, MA.

It's being held at the Stone House Museum, 20 Maple Street (Rte. 202) on Sat (9AM to 5PM) and Sun (11AM to 4PM). There will be a skirmish both days, along with a number of other demonstrations.

For more info - check www.stonehousemuseum.org

(BTW - this isn't going to be a HUGE one - most of the guys in this area are heading down to VA for the weekend, so it's more of a living history event)

I was involved during the Centennial. Check me out at the Battle of Nashville a couple of (40?) years ago.

nash.jpg

I just sold the drum last week on ebay. I'm divesting myself of some Civil War stuff.

That's my late father with the stripes.

dvl said:
I was involved during the Centennial. Check me out at the Battle of Nashville a couple of (40?) years ago.

http://www.acksite.com/mzpost/nash.jpg[img]

I just sold the drum last week on ebay. I'm divesting myself of some Civil War stuff.

That's my late father with the stripes.[/quote]

That's pretty cool. :D

That is pretty cool. And I thought that the CAS folks looked pretty good.

The closest that I got to something like this is that my Grandfather still has the Musket that his grandfather carried during the civil war. He was one of those damn Southerners.

This coming weekend (7/30 & 8/1) there's an event in Groton, MA. From what I understand, there's nearly 400 folks that are signed up to attend, so this will be the biggest event in New England this year.

The link for info and directions is:
http://www.grotonturns350.com/civilwar.htm

If any of you decide to go, ask for the 35th Virginia (in the rebel camp) and find me. I'm aka Cpl. Lyndon. :D

We did a Living History at Old Sturbridge Villiage a few weeks back. I just got this photo from one of the guys. We stormed the bank. [lol]

BankRobbery.jpg

Actually, we weren't doing any battles (to speak of anyway). It's mostly a drilling exhibit and "life in camp" thing for the visitors. My memory fails me on the northern most battle at the moment....

Nickle said:
The Confederate Raid on the Bank in St Albans, Vermont. Now you know why I figured it was that.

Duh! <slap forehead> Now that you typed it.... Infact one of the guys asked if we were in VT when they were taking the pictures. [lol] No, we weren't reenacting that specifically - we just thought the spectators would get a kick out of us rushing in with pistols drawn, announcing we were commondeering the treasury. They loved it. :D

Skald said:
I have had a question about re-enacting and finally found a group that may be able to help.

How do you actually get into it? I mean, who do you speak to etc.

First you decide which side you want to be on. :D Actually, go to an event and watch the different groups as they take the field. Go to both sides and talk to folks in the group. (Warning - some groups are more "straight laced" than others.) Find some folks in the same unit that you're comfortable talking to and basically, once you do that, you've found your group. I started out as a Reb nearly 7 years ago because to me it was a political statement, but I quickly came to love and bond with the group I joined. (35th VA, Co. B, Dismounted Cav) We have a ball! :D

You can do a goole search for the Civil War (The War for Southern Independence) and find sites. Most of them will have schedules for upcoming events. I don't remember where you are located hun, but the next New England event is in Uxbridge, MA (down near the RI border). It's the first weekend in Oct.

It's good to go to an event first, then you can see what type of musket to get, clothing, etc. Dismounted Cav is a little more leanient than the infantry is and we use shorter muskets (it was difficult to load a 3 bander on horseback). All of this, btw, is given that you want to do CW re-enacting. If you want to get in to WWII or Rev war, then you'd basically do the same beginning thing - search for a group on Google. :D

Thanks Lynn,

I think I would do CW because just loved the idea's of huge tent city's and the like. Also, when I was in the Middle School I ALWAYS read 'Civil War Journal' during reading time in class.

As far as sides, probably reb. I hung out to much with them there 'Yoopers', or as I call them 'Rednecks with snowmobiles.'

Iffn' yer interested in becoming a proud member of the Southern Independence team, Skald, then I'll let you know when Uxbridge is taking place with directions and y'all can come and look us up in Oct. I'll probably post the info here in the Re-enactors section.

Hey C-pher - you know someone by the name of Ed Brusslins? He's into the action shooting. Also - a guy by the name of Gary Rathmill. They're both buds of mine.

Back
Top Bottom