• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Any 6.5 Grendel shooters around? Optic thoughts needed.

Golddiggie

NES Member
I'm working to get my 6.5 Grendel upper fully operational (18" barrel). At this point all I have left is to select an optic. I've pretty much narrowed it down to two different ones. Magnification range on both is 'close enough' in that one is 3-18x44 and the other is 4-20x50. Both are FFP scopes with 34mm tubes. I'm going that high due to 'old eyes' and I'd rather have the higher magnification than not. Right now I won't be stretching the range all that much (100 yards for the near term at least). I do plan to get into longer range shooting later though (club goes out to 600 yards max currently).

My main question has to due with the max elevation adjustments for the scopes. The 4-20x goes up to 90 MOA (yes, I'm going MOA, deal with it :p) where the 3-18 goes to 154 MOA. From what I've looked up, 6.5 Grendel drops over 100 MOA at the top end of it's range (~800 yards). With the both scopes having 36 MOA in the reticle (down from center), would the higher MOA be of any real use/advantage? I have 100 and 110 grain ammo on hand (it was what I could get when it popped up) if that matters.

Depending on how whichever scope performs, I could be looking to get another of that line for my AR10 rifle upper (also 18" barrel).

I'm not looking to skin flint on this here. Well, not too much. I'm not looking to drop over a grand on the setup (it's going to be close enough to that amount as it stands). The optics are within about $100 of each other, plus whatever mount I go with.

Thoughts? I'm probably some weeks (at least) away from making the purchase. Hopefully the prices don't go through the roof before I do.

Take a look at these for extra scope cant:

(They’re about $120-130 on sale for 34mm)
I put Burris XTR scopes on both my Grendel AR's, nice scopes for about a grand, I'll never run out of adjustment at the ranges I shoot either. For the bolt gun I just got put a Leupold MK3HD 4-12x40 but again my max range is 300, elevation adjustment won't be an issue. My opinion better to have the extra adjustment and not need it then need it and not have it, especially if you have the opportunity to stretch out.

20 degree cant for the mount and you will be GTG. I'd probably go with a one piece mount rather than something with inserts, but that's mostly a knee jerk reaction on my part.

20 degree cant for the mount and you will be GTG. I'd probably go with a one piece mount rather than something with inserts, but that's mostly a knee jerk reaction on my part.
I was already planning on using one of the single piece mounts that are available (with the height needed to clear the AR upper).

If you mean the 20 MOA mount, then that makes some sense. I'm not going to put the scope into a gansta lean. Also not going to put an offset dot mount on the scope/upper. This is for longer distance shooting. Anything close will use one of my several other builds.

I was already planning on using one of the single piece mounts that are available (with the height needed to clear the AR upper).

If you mean the 20 MOA mount, then that makes some sense. I'm not going to put the scope into a gansta lean. Also not going to put an offset dot mount on the scope/upper. This is for longer distance shooting. Anything close will use one of my several other builds.
Yes, 20 MOA mount.

Back
Top Bottom