Any MA. Police Officers Here?

Just looking to ask a few questions about buying here in MA. from police officers who know their stuff....I would prefer to speak with someone who has bought a handgun from out of state please.
Thankx.

Just looking to ask a few questions about buying here in MA. from police officers who know their stuff....I would prefer to speak with someone who has bought a handgun from out of state please.
Thankx.

Well Thug, it would seem that you've already gotten the attention of a couple of people on this forum that know more about gun laws then any police officer. You should ask your question and feel confident in the answer you get from those guys.

I would prefer to speak with someone who has bought a handgun from out of state please.

I'm not a LEO nor am I a lawyer, but based on this...if you are buying from a FFL out of state...have them ship it to a MA FFL. If you are trying to buy it from a person, have them bring it to a FFL in their state then have that FFL ship it to your FFL in MA.

If it is a C&R you should be able to buy it F2F if you have a C&R, but don't forget your FA10 within 7 days.

Well let me start off by saying I didn't mean to offend or disrespect anybody here and your knowledge of "out of state" purchases. The funny part of this whole post is from GREG who said most police don't even know the laws because they don't apply to them....with that said, YOUR RIGHT !!! WHY ??? I'M A COP !!! [laugh][laugh][laugh]
OK with that said, I had asked for a cop because I didn't want to tip my hand and expose my true identity so I was going to PM him my questions....but now that we are all open and friends here I will ask you. I'm interested in purchasing a handgun that is NOT approved here in MA. I was told by another cop ([rofl]) that because I was in Law Enforcement I could purchase a weapon from out of state and have it sent to a dealer here (MA) who then could write up the proper paper work to allow me the purchase....is this true? I realize I will have to proove my employment with proper ID etc. but does this sound legit ? Just to serve for curiousity I'm interested in purchasing a Springfield Model.
Thanks for your help I do appreciate it.
By the way....SCRIVENER, do you think my username is too much ?

Well let me start off by saying I didn't mean to offend or disrespect anybody here and your knowledge of "out of state" purchases. The funny part of this whole post is from GREG who said most police don't even know the laws because they don't apply to them....with that said, YOUR [sic] If it is not on the EOPS list, a MA dealer cannot convey it to a MA resident - cop or otherwise.RIGHT !!! WHY ??? I'M A COP !!! [laugh][laugh][laugh]
OK with that said, I had asked for a cop because I didn't want to tip my hand and expose my true identity so I was going to PM him my questions....but now that we are all open and friends here I will ask you. I'm interested in purchasing a handgun that is NOT approved here in MA. I was told by another cop ([rofl]) that because I was in Law Enforcement I could purchase a weapon from out of state and have it sent to a dealer here (MA) who then could write up the proper paper work to allow me the purchase....is this true? I realize I will have to proove [sic] my employment with proper ID etc. but does this sound legit ? Just to serve for curiousity I'm interested in purchasing a Springfield Model.
Thanks for your help I do appreciate it.

If it is not on the EOPS list, a MA dealer cannot convey it to a MA resident - cop or otherwise. The LEO exemption is only from the AG's regs.

All of which has been discussed on this forum numerous times and would have likely been found by anyone who actually bothered to look.

If you are trying to buy it from a person, have them bring it to a FFL in their state then have that FFL ship it to your FFL in MA.

Why the double FFL? I was under the impression that the out-of-state owner can ship directly to your in-state FFL, who can then do the transfer for you (assuming they're legally able to).

Why the double FFL? I was under the impression that the out-of-state owner can ship directly to your in-state FFL, who can then do the transfer for you (assuming they're legally able to).

Federal rules on interstate handgun sales/transfers, if I recall right.

This is the ATF FAQ answer that led me to believe otherwise:

--------------------

To whom may an unlicensed person transfer firearms under the GCA?

A person may sell a firearm to an unlicensed resident of his or her State, if the buyer is not prohibited by law from receiving or possessing a firearm, or to a licensee in any State. A firearm other than a curio or relic may not be transferred interstate to a licensed collector.
[18 U.S.C 922(a)(3) and (5), 922(b)(3), 27 CFR 178.29]

I'm a big boy I can take a kick in the nuts once in a while [crying]...Scrivener, your first sentence is appreciated the second isn't. Obviously being new here I don't know your demeanor like the others apparently do but it won't scare me away. If you know your stuff I will ask again.

If it is not on the EOPS list, a MA dealer cannot convey it to a MA resident - cop or otherwise. The LEO exemption is only from the AG's regs.

All of which has been discussed on this forum numerous times and would have likely been found by anyone who actually bothered to look.

Hey Scrivener,
As a Newbie I'd like to say, lighten-up! It's often difficult to find information on a specific topic on this forum without digging for hours. If you're bothered by people asking questions that you've already answered then don't respond. Take your attitude and use it on some "Gun Grabbers", not to us! We should be supporting gun owners with questions, not pissing them off! Mil-Dot

Well because I'm a gambling man I'll dip back in with another question. For those who understand the different federal laws and interstate regulations against us in MA. could you tell me if any of the following brand makers are available to law enforcement personal ? I'm not sure where to look for these regulations, and would appreciate your help in making my choice that much quicker. Thanks again.
1. Ed Brown
2. Les Baer
3. Springfield
4. Dan Wesson
5. Colt
6. Kimber

Well because I'm a gambling man I'll dip back in with another question. For those who understand the different federal laws and interstate regulations against us in MA. could you tell me if any of the following brand makers are available to law enforcement personal ? I'm not sure where to look for these regulations, and would appreciate your help in making my choice that much quicker. Thanks again.
1. Ed Brown
2. Les Baer
3. Springfield
4. Dan Wesson
5. Colt
6. Kimber

AW Geez, why can't you be content with the Glock .40?
Spruce it up a bit with night sights. Did you want this potential purchase for personal protection or sport and target? [grin]
And because I live in Boston, and I see Boston attached to your name, I'll be flip and suggest you talk to Detective Sgt. Raymond Mosher who is still attached in some capacity to the Boston Licensing unit. He's a sweetheart and I'm sure he'll be glad to point you in the right direction. [smile]
Good Luck.

1. Ed Brown
2. Les Baer
3. Springfield
4. Dan Wesson
5. Colt
6. Kimber
Welcome to the forum. Here's the list of approved firearms: http://www.mass.gov/Eeops/docs/chsb/firearms/approved_firearms_roster_10_2007.pdf

1. Ed Brown
2. Les Baer
3. Springfield
4. Dan Wesson
5. Colt
6. Kimber

The EOPS list is linked at the top of this forum. You can read that and quickly find out if any of them are on that list. I don't believe that most of them are. I know that Springfield, Les Baer, and Kimber definitely aren't. If it's not on there, you can't buy it.

If you want a 1911, you have 3 significant choices on the list:

1. SVI - first 1911 on the AFR; first (and only) guns on the Target Roster. Single and double-stacks for those with a Brown/Baer budget

2. Para-Ordnance. The classic double-stack 1911, plus the LDA models used by N. Attleboro and Norfolk;

3. S&W - a latecomer that makes a nice single-stack for the money; and

4. SIG.

Again, actually going to the rosters answers a lot of unnecessarily-asked questions. Hence the links.

Last edited:
You can buy just about anything you can get your hands on -- if you get it in a private sale. Just be aware of the high capacity magazine ban in MA (wouldn't apply to you, since you're a LEO). The EOPS roster only applies to dealer sales/transfers. Unfortunately, buying "off-list" in a private sale means you'll pay through the nose for it. Such is life here.

Well I'm not rich but if I can get it then I'll try and get it. I realize the limited list that is available to me now, which would probably mean I choose Smith+Wesson but I thought I would investigate and figure out if I can actually get one of the others with the proper connections.
Thanks again.

Since I'm in MA also- my selection of 1911s is limited as well. I've been very pleased with S&W and they are less than half the cost of some of the others. If you want you can get a performance center 1911 for a few more bucks.

No, more like "anal dealers that won't take shipments from
individuals" being the only real barrier. An FFL in MA could
take in a gun from an individual, without any trouble... wouldn't
surprise me though, if there are MA FFLs who refuse to do so and
only will get guns sent by another FFL.

-Mike

Scriv-

The GSR that was tested and approved probably isn't even made
by SigSauer/Sigarms anymore (the first version was mostly a
disaster, anyways) and the company never bothered
getting it past the AG's crap and attempting to sell it here.
I'm not sure how different a gun is allowed to be before it
becomes "not eops compliant" anymore, but I'm pretty sure the
new GSR 1911s are "different" at least cosmetically.

-Mike

Ok lets go in another direction...can anyone recommend an FFL dealer here in MA. that would be able and willing to allow me the purchase without getting nervous about it? Obviously there are hundreds of gun dealers from other states where I could purchase one of my choices but will someone here in MA. accept the transfer?
Thanks

Back
Top Bottom