• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Another Unfortunate Gun Bonded Warehouse (Tombstone Trading Post)

dis_gon_be_good.gif

So they're saying they're collecting it as a tax? I wonder if they're actually remitting that $ to the state...
Not likely. The way MA sales tax is paid is that DOR asks "gross sales (that are taxable)" and then "submit 6.25% x gross sales", so because he didn't collect the "value" of the gun, he has no mechanism to pay that as collected sales tax. I was a MA business with a MA sales tax number/returns for >30 years, so I know how it works.
This I have seen them do and frankly that’s none of their business either.

I’m wondering this too, but I’ll wait for the picture to see what they charged for a fee in addition to the transfer fee.
This is an illegally disguised rip-off pretending to be a sales tax. MA DOR, if reported, would investigate them for sales tax fraud . . . at least that's what DOR told me when I had 2 merchants (one is a gun dealer) charge me sales tax on non-taxable sales.
I wonder if the Mass DOR has records showing those collected taxes ($18.75) being paid to the Commonwealth...?
Karma is... funny. 🤡
View attachment 538252

ODD: 2015 and using paper form that can be crumbled into a tiny ball after you left the store...

Of course they only take CASH... [rofl]
Perfect evidence if the person wants to have DOR investigate them for tax fraud. It seems that they richly deserve that.

This is why GUN SHOPS should never dip their toes in the BONDED WAREHOUSE cesspool...

You can't scrub hard enough to remove that taint...

Bonded Warehousemen are grave robbers who say they are providing a valuable service to the Public and the Police Departments, but...

They're Creeps...

1635816625141.png

So I posted the exact message from the original post right on his front page and he deleted it. I went ahead and dropped it in the comments to make sure people who see his plea for positivity see it. Edit: I misspoke it was just not where I thought it would be.

Double edit: he deleted ALL responses (even those that weren’t entirely negative) if they spoke mildly against him and then blocked us.

Last edited:
He thinks I'd stoop so low as to make multiple accounts. That's not my style. This isn't malice, this is out of love for our community.

Just as important, if not more, as outing businesses acting against your interest is supporting White Knights. I can't buy anything in MA to support you. But I hope that just as many people on here do, and also protect your online reputation when the predictable blowback comes.

$35 for a transfer is bad enough
No, it's not. I realize the shade tree ffl in basement standard is like $20 or something but that's not realistic when most have bills to pay. Plus the compliance burden. I would not be shocked if most retail storefront FFLs move to $40-50 when things start drying up. Otherwise it's barely worth the time cost. Especially with internet inbounds where they never drop a dime in your store otherwise.

There's likely a lot of reasons this shop sucks, such as what @Whiskeywon outlined but that's not one of them. Especially not if it was known up front. Ethically this shop should have just allowed @Whiskeywon to inbound the guns and take them off their hands if they were so skeered of them. It's less than a minute of work to log a gun out. That's the despicable part of this.

I'm in a wishing mood...

"I wish" a Not-For-Profit would open a "Storage" facility for the Safe Holding of Firearms while the Gun Owner (victim) makes his way through the Legal Process to regain his Rights
and his Property. If the Courts find he should not regain those Rights, and Property, they should be transferred to a Person (or persons) that he designates and who has legal licensing to own them. Or, if not possible to do so; sold at Fair Market Value and funds would be returned to the Owner of that Property.

Only the minimum fee for storage during that time. Those monies would be used to keep the operation up and running...

Almost seems that GOAL and the NRA should be in on this...

Last edited:
OP, sometimes it's tough to be the one to "out" a place. Some customers are loyal and you could potentially face a shit storm of falsely accusing someone. Especially if you are another FFL and some could see you as business "taking out the competition".
Good on you for bringing this up. I had a couple good purchases at Tombstone over the years. I also took their class for me to get my LTC. I have also recommended them 100s of times, as they were semi local to me and always considered them to be a good go to FFL. I'm glad shit like this comes to light. Burn em down! I remember a few years ago, the owner made the switch from FFL01 to FFL07 and he posted videos of post ban MGs on FB. It's a shame that they feel their rights are more important than other people in the state.

Tissue to block and protect the innocent. LOL.

But here's the proof. Granted it been a few years but it's labeled as 'tax value'. Almost extra 20 bucks on the 35 dollar fee.

Not sure if they still do this but buyer beware.

View attachment 538221
WTF?!?!?! Who determined the $300 value?!??!!
What do they charge if I'm giving a gun away and not a personal sale.

Imagine the thread Tombstone would have got if they handed over the legal guns and then said "sorry about the cops being involved... no charges or fees."

Folks would be flocking there to show their support...

You well be treated; the way you treat others.
They are literally in the PD backyard. There is no secret that he gives handjobs to the local PD.

This little adventure that Tombstone created is going to cost him more than he can ever imagine.....

I've bought from him at the Wilmington show before. Never again.

I hope it was worth it Tombstone....
I've bought at Marlboro. Not bad but my experience was quick gun show experience.

I firmly stand behind whiskeywon
He had always been great and a real 2a supporter.

OP, sometimes it's tough to be the one to "out" a place. Some customers are loyal and you could potentially face a shit storm of falsely accusing someone. Especially if you are another FFL and some could see you as business "taking out the competition".
Good on you for bringing this up. I had a couple good purchases at Tombstone over the years. I also took their class for me to get my LTC. I have also recommended them 100s of times, as they were semi local to me and always considered them to be a good go to FFL. I'm glad shit like this comes to light. Burn em down! I remember a few years ago, the owner made the switch from FFL01 to FFL07 and he posted videos of post ban MGs on FB. It's a shame that they feel their rights are more important than other people in the state.

They are literally in the PD backyard. There is no secret that he gives handjobs to the local PD.
On the other hand, the next time I'm at the Mill (which is too often), I'll be sure to go to Pathfinder Armament and throw down a hew shekels on a new purchase

Another thought which I think is relevant to the original story.... You are legally allowed to direct where your guns go if they are seized... When years ago I was at serious risk of being falsely accused of a serious felony, a prominent firearms attorney drafted a letter to my city's police chief, directing him to place my guns with a particular FFL should they be seized. The letter clearly cited the MA law justifying my instructions. The letter was, and remains, posted on, and in my safe. Documented with photos.

Thankfully, I've never had to use it.

I'm in a wishing mood...

"I wish" a Not-For-Profit would open a "Storage" facility for the Safe Holding of Firearms while the Gun Owner (victim) makes his way through the Legal Process to regain his Rights
and his Property. If the Courts find he should not regain those Rights, and Property, they should be transferred to a Person (or persons) that he designates and who has legal licensing to own them.

Only the minimum fee for storage during that time. Those monies would be used to keep the operation up and running...

It's already being done. Spread the word to your local LGS; I have.

Hey Nick you and I talked once right before you gave up your license. Hope SC is treating you well and the beard has grown back all the way!
That's the interesting thing, I'll be the first person to admit this: As far as being an FFL? I'm part-time. While I move decent stock I'm a f***ing nobody in this game and my three meals do not come from the money made from this. Our business models and locations basically have zero intersection apart from my personal interest in military surplus. And for that I used to recommend them. Now for that I'll only recommend Bron's Classic Firearms, Brophy's Fine Firearms and the Gun Rack if you have any surplus interests. I'll recommend people to other shops all day long over me because I'd rather see a gun shop who relies on this money get that sale. I promise anybody who ever buys a gun from me that the money you spend with me is going to ammunition, guns or some bullshit interest of mine.

It's already being done. Spread the word to your local LGS; I have.

Makes me smile that our local one is KC Small Arms. The Graham brothers are awesome and the first several dozen lowers I sold were ALL Yankee hill Machine.

I'm in a whishing mood...

and his Property. If the Courts find he should not regain those Rights, and Property, they should be transferred to a Person (or persons) that he designates and who has legal licensing to own them.

We've discussed this before awhile ago.

That business model will never work because they (ethically sound entities, lets say) are not going to get into the business pay the grease/vigs/kickbacks to the shit PD's to get preferred pick up. BW/Extortion warehouses revolve around rape. Just simply having a BW is not enough.

Another caveat is.... that legal process can literally take years. Unless you have a giant, cheap vault/storage, this gets nonviable pretty fast. Think property, security systems, alarm fees etc. It'd have to be subsidized by donors to make it ecomically viable for those running it.

We've discussed this before awhile ago.
We did? [rofl]

That business model will never work because they (ethically sound entities, lets say) are not going to get into the business pay the grease/vigs/kickbacks to the shit PD's to get preferred pick up. BW/Extortion warehouses revolve around rape. Just simply having a BW is not enough.

And this is why any Gun Shop that wants Our Business, should not touch Bonded Warehouse work with a ten-foot pole...

The PD screwed up just as badly as Tombstone.

Go ahead and out them.
Nothing good will come out of that and nothing will change unless somebody can prove that they're taking bribes/kickbacks from tombstone. Hell one PD was more or less caught doing that (with village vault, VV was giving them free guns and shit to the PD in question) and absolutely nothing happened to them. MA is 110% clown world in this regard. Openly corrupt behavior is ignored especially when it concerns gun owners.

Back
Top Bottom