• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Another Unfortunate Gun Bonded Warehouse (Tombstone Trading Post)

Again: the PD should be outed, since they turned the guns over to Tombstone instead of following the law.

And also again: ask your LGS to participate in this service, and cut out the bonded warehouse corruption racket.

Not going to happen for a reason that is separate of the actual firearms themselves.

3 FFL partners.
5 clients served.
501(c)(3)

Their business model is to support individuals who want to serve a gun surrender order upon themselves.
It's brand new. It's voluntary. It relies on donations.

They don't have a "business model"; they have a mission to help people safely store their guns in times of crisis.

I had occasion to be inside the "vault" at a shop that had formerly been in the b-w business (they stopped year ago, so I an not going to retroactively criticize them now, besides I do not know how they treated 'customers'. It was no longer in that business when I visited, but they still had some stuff they took in before they exited.

Their ad for vault services included a photo or high quality artistic rendering of a bank vault sized door and advertised "vault services". The actual "vault" was a locked room, including a locked door directly to the exterior of the building. The interred guns were sitting on shelves, not in safes or vaults. Nice setup for someone to pull a job, plus locking the door would probably qualify as "non-negligent" care under bailment law.
There are NO requirements to be a "bonded warehouse" other than having an FFL and a secure storage area (not defined). There is no bond, no special insurance requirements, etc. There is no need for safes or vaults, just whatever satisfies your local police chief as "security measures".

It's brand new. It's voluntary. It relies on donations.

They don't have a "business model"; they have a mission to help people safely store their guns in times of crisis.
Problem is that the PD gets to choose who they use, not the actual gun owner. And they frequently (and with impunity) ignore requests by the owner to transfer the guns to the owner's choice of FFL (or LTC holding friend for non 209A seizures).

There are NO requirements to be a "bonded warehouse" other than having an FFL and a secure storage area (not defined). There is no bond, no special insurance requirements, etc. There is no need for safes or vaults, just whatever satisfies your local police chief as "security measures".
Exactly. My point was (a) deceptive advertising on the part of security measures and (b) under the concept of "negligence" liability only, "locked room" is the level of security a victim on a bonded warehouse can expect with guns being stored at their risk.

Problem is that the PD gets to choose who they use, not the actual gun owner. And they frequently (and with impunity) ignore requests by the owner to transfer the guns to the owner's choice of FFL (or LTC holding friend for non 209A seizures).
I know of one case where the PD actually called a warehouse with "hurry up, the owner's attorney called and said he is bringing someone over to pick up the guns", and another in which the PD holding the gun was very cooperative and professional in transferring a gun seized from someone facing criminal charges to a LTC holder.

I am at low risk for seizure since I live what many would call a boring life. But, no one is zero risk. So, I have a letter in my safe authorizing transfer to specific dealers and licensed individuals that would be provided at the time of any mandated disarming. It's important to go "on the record" with your demand to have the guns transferred to your designee. PDs don't like the hassle of being sued and this may (emphasis may) increase the chances of avoiding a bonded warehouse. Then, have your designee show up promptly (preferably with your attorney) to get the guns.

Consider your guns POWs - one rule when captured is escape before you can be moved to a more secure facility (or so I have been told as someone with no .mil background)

In the "old days" (up until 80's or 90's), the police would stick them in a closet or storeroom. Not sure when or why this changed. Things were a bit simpler then. Only downside was they were not very well looked after.

In the "old days" (up until 80's or 90's), the police would stick them in a closet or storeroom. Not sure when or why this changed. Things were a bit simpler then. Only downside was they were not very well looked after.
Decades of pile up of unclaimed property and evidence will do that.

Back
Top Bottom