Amica Insurance Is Anti Gun

I don't have Amica, but my homeowner's policy has some low (couple grand? I forget) limit for loss by theft of firearms. They never asked if I had firearms or how many. When I inquired about raising the limit my agent didn't understand why I needed to raise it (not sure if they are anti - probably just have no clue what these things are worth). I ended up buying a separate policy from Historic Firearms / Eastern Insurance.

I would say if your homeowner's insurance company / agency is asking about this stuff it's time to find a new company.

This has been said before but the agent/company is only trying to make sure you are adequately covered. There are limits for coverage on certain items. Cash, jewelry, firearms, golf equipment, cameras etc.

If your agent ISNT asking these questions, that would be the time to start looking elsewhere.

I don't have Amica, but my homeowner's policy has some low (couple grand? I forget) limit for loss by theft of firearms. They never asked if I had firearms or how many. When I inquired about raising the limit my agent didn't understand why I needed to raise it (not sure if they are anti - probably just have no clue what these things are worth). I ended up buying a separate policy from Historic Firearms / Eastern Insurance.

I would say if your homeowner's insurance company / agency is asking about this stuff it's time to find a new company.

This has been said before but the agent/company is only trying to make sure you are adequately covered. There are limits for coverage on certain items. Cash, jewelry, firearms, golf equipment, cameras etc.

If your agent ISNT asking these questions, that would be the time to start looking elsewhere.

If YOU aren't asking for additional coverage (you have a separate policy) and you are aware of the policy limitations, giving a list to your insurance company is giving more info than they need! I can only imagine that it goes into a massive database and perhaps shared with "insurance sharing databases" (I'm thinking something like the Medical Information Bureau). Do they ask for make/model/S/N of every HD TV, stereo equipment, etc. that you own?

I know that AMICA used to be very picky about who they took and refused many they deemed a "risk", so I'd be very suspicious of lots of questions about guns.

I've had a separate policy for my guns for many years and none of them wanted S/Ns and only one wanted a list of make/model . . . all the others are happy to just be given an aggregate $$ figure (as long as none are worth >$5K each).

I have an Amica policy with a schedule policy for my guns. Customer service was especially helpful and professional when I set it up.

Amica is A+ in my book. Don't know what your friend is smoking.

The low limit is standard on Firearms, Jewelry and cash. It's for loss by theft - because they're a popular item to steal.

If YOU aren't asking for additional coverage (you have a separate policy) and you are aware of the policy limitations, giving a list to your insurance company is giving more info than they need! I can only imagine that it goes into a massive database and perhaps shared with "insurance sharing databases" (I'm thinking something like the Medical Information Bureau). Do they ask for make/model/S/N of every HD TV, stereo equipment, etc. that you own?

I know that AMICA used to be very picky about who they took and refused many they deemed a "risk", so I'd be very suspicious of lots of questions about guns.

I've had a separate policy for my guns for many years and none of them wanted S/Ns and only one wanted a list of make/model . . . all the others are happy to just be given an aggregate $$ figure (as long as none are worth >$5K each).

No that isn't true at all - in fact it's illegal. There is information shared about claims filed but that's public information. Info on an application is NOT public and there is no such thing as a shared database.

Oh well, screw Amica if its true. There are better carriers out there anyways....

As stated it's not true. Amica is top notch for customer service. I know someone who worked in insurance for a number of years (not Amica) and he admits they can't be beat for customer service/satisfaction. I've had them for auto & homeowners for a number of years. I haven't had many reasons to call them, but it is important to have a company that responds if there is ever a problem.

The fact is we all hope there is never a reason to need insurance, but if my house burns to the ground I sure as hell want someone to respond when I call.

Jesus H Christ as far as I know none of the major carriers are 'anti gun'. Some will and some won't write extended limits on firearms but AFAIK NONE of them will deny you because you own guns.

ALL Home Owners insurance applications are long. As was pointed out above it's to get info to the actuaries so they can accurately price the risk.

Bob,

Sorry but I do NOT trust anyone who collects "data" on people/things to keep it "private".

Credit reporting agencies have a ton of info on all of us.

MIB has a ton of medical claims/conditions info on damn near everybody.

Back in the 1970s, MA DOR GAVE our SSNs to the RMV, a direct violation of State Law! [Info was told to my by a Senior Atty for HEW back then.]

Info is shared between companies/agencies/etc. I have NO reason to trust insurance companies not to report demographic info on applicants to a central repository (like MIB, credit reporting agencies, etc.)!

[I am not now nor have I ever worked in the insurance industry.]

Just an FYI, some liability policies will actually cover you for any liability sustained from shooting & killing someone in your home in an act of self defense. And I highly recommend scheduling any firearms you may have on your homeowners policies.

Historic Firearms will give you blanket coverage up to whatever limit you choose, and you don't have to schedule anything unless it's worth $10000 or more. I dunno about you, but my collection changes too frequently to be scheduling things.

Their minimum policy is $35k worth of coverage at $125/yr premium. If you need to cover more than that you can start getting an NRA discount. Also I want to be your friend [laugh]

Yikes! lots of "information" posted here. Some good, some bad. Research and make your decisions.

I do not deal with property and casualty insurance, however I do deal with life insurance and other financial services.
Please feel free to contact me with any questions. I am always happy to help fellow shooters.

BTW I have heard nothing but good things about the firms mentioned above that specifically cover firearms.

Last edited:
Bob,

Sorry but I do NOT trust anyone who collects "data" on people/things to keep it "private".

Credit reporting agencies have a ton of info on all of us.

MIB has a ton of medical claims/conditions info on damn near everybody.

Back in the 1970s, MA DOR GAVE our SSNs to the RMV, a direct violation of State Law! [Info was told to my by a Senior Atty for HEW back then.]

Info is shared between companies/agencies/etc. I have NO reason to trust insurance companies not to report demographic info on applicants to a central repository (like MIB, credit reporting agencies, etc.)!

[I am not now nor have I ever worked in the insurance industry.]

Well Len, I do and have since 1985 and can say with confidence as someone who knows all aspects of the P&C industry that they do NOT share demo data, that it is ILLEGAL for them to do so - but believe whatever you like. You're the expert.

I would like to reiterate that I don't know one way or the other if Amica is anti. If I knew for a fact they were, I would not give them my business.

That being said, for those of you saying they ask so they can cover loss, take a look at the other items on the questionnaire I posted. Should I assume they simply want to properly cover my trampolines, buried propane tanks and vicious dogs for loss as well, or is it a safer bet they consider me a greater risk because I exercise my right to keep and bear arms?

Well Len, I do and have since 1985 and can say with confidence as someone who knows all aspects of the P&C industry that they do NOT share demo data, that it is ILLEGAL for them to do so - but believe whatever you like. You're the expert.

Bob, I can appreciate your opinion on an area where you have expertise and I respect all that you have done to shine light on the GOAL/TOM issues, but taking swipes at people or sarcasm isn't necessary to make your point nor is it appreciated.

I stated that I did NOT trust the companies to follow the rules/laws. That is my opinion, not an expert opinion (I admitted to never having worked in the industry, no expertise here), just a suspicious mind at work. I have witnessed an insurance company paying an acknowledged (by them) fraudulent BI claim (I turned them over to the AG's Insurance Division, who DID investigate and reported back to me), I have witnessed many HIPAA violations by doctors and hospitals with my own eyes, I've witnessed a licensed RE Broker co-mingle personal funds with "earnest money" deposited on a P&S agreement, I've witnessed water-leak evidence and cracked foundations in homes I was looking at (in 2 states) while the licensed RE Broker denied that these conditions ever existed. I also get solicitation calls on both landline and cell phone even though I've been on the state and fed DNC since it started. These are all violations of law too, but it is done all the time. My "distrust" is based on personal experiences in various areas (NOT on things I've been told by others).

Let's just respectfully agree to disagree, OK?

I am not going to Lie, I probably only read about 1/2 of the posts so not sure if my reply will be a dup.

Anyway I have been a customer of theirs for roughly 5 yrs. Every new purchase I get I place on my homeowners, and I have spoken to several reps regarding firearms. The only policy of theirs which comes to mind is they do not cover your firearm if it is stored in the same container as ammo... so do as you want with this.

Bob, I can appreciate your opinion on an area where you have expertise and I respect all that you have done to shine light on the GOAL/TOM issues, but taking swipes at people or sarcasm isn't necessary to make your point nor is it appreciated.

I stated that I did NOT trust the companies to follow the rules/laws. That is my opinion, not an expert opinion (I admitted to never having worked in the industry, no expertise here), just a suspicious mind at work. I have witnessed an insurance company paying an acknowledged (by them) fraudulent BI claim (I turned them over to the AG's Insurance Division, who DID investigate and reported back to me), I have witnessed many HIPAA violations by doctors and hospitals with my own eyes, I've witnessed a licensed RE Broker co-mingle personal funds with "earnest money" deposited on a P&S agreement, I've witnessed water-leak evidence and cracked foundations in homes I was looking at (in 2 states) while the licensed RE Broker denied that these conditions ever existed. I also get solicitation calls on both landline and cell phone even though I've been on the state and fed DNC since it started. These are all violations of law too, but it is done all the time. My "distrust" is based on personal experiences in various areas (NOT on things I've been told by others).

Let's just respectfully agree to disagree, OK?

Disagree on what? That insurance is an organized conspiricy to collect personal data in some centralized location? Who runs it, the Illuminati?

Disagree on what? That insurance is an organized conspiricy to collect personal data in some centralized location? Who runs it, the Illuminati?

They have their interests . . .

There are people who make a "living" out of defrauding insurance companies (bogus claims). I'm sure that the industry shares info to try to minimize them jumping from one company to another, defrauding each along the way. [I have heard of this, don't recall who/where I heard it, so it's rumor, but very plausible and understandable.]

Hmmmm, the agent must have been an anti-gun (nut). I've been with Amica for several years and get great service. When I told them I was a gun owner their only concern was that they properly stored (locked in safe) Your friend should talk to another agent or a supervisor. Amica is a great insurance company.

There are people who make a "living" out of defrauding insurance companies (bogus claims). I'm sure that the industry shares info to try to minimize them jumping from one company to another, defrauding each along the way. [I have heard of this, don't recall who/where I heard it, so it's rumor, but very plausible and understandable.]

Nope. No such 'list' exists. There is a reporting service called ISO that keeps track of claims but only info in public record. But again, I'm sure your rumor is more accurate than my information. I've only spent the last 27 years of my life doing this, 13 of them in senior level positions.

Wow, I'm glad I stopped by for tonight's entertainment !

[rofl] [rofl]

My Mom is in her late 80's. Her doctor is a good friend of mine. The guy is a great doc with many years of experience. He's also a brilliant man, Princeton grad who never really had to study much. Yeah, one of those guys.

Mom goes to bingo a lot and gets tons of medical advice from the girls at bingo. Just lay your symptoms out and they'll have an answer. Some of them did work in hospitals, actually. Often in admin positions or in the cafeteria. But Mom lives and dies, so to speak, by their advice, often changing her meds or dosages at their suggestion.

Yup, my Mom ignores the advice and counsel of a brilliant doctor and instead listens to a bunch of elderly busy bodies with no training and in some cases no high school degree.

LenS, in your argument with Bob you remind me of my Mom. Bob P is a really, really smart guy with decades of relevant experience in the insurance world. He knows his stuff cold. He's handled cases worth millions of dollars on behalf of these insurance companies. He's a senior level guy. Yet you choose to argue a vague recollection without reference against the word of professional in the field and a respected member of this forum.

LenS, I hope this gives you pause. In my own way I hope it makes you think about why you are arguing so hard with a guy who is so much more knowledgeable about this subject. What drives you to be so combative about this subject when you're dealing with a honest, honorable forum member? Why not pick his brain for the value he can bring about the insurance world, rather than try to shout him down without valid arguments.

Last week you posted something that was blatantly negative about two members of the GOAL staff, calling them out by name in a public forum... not cool. Now we see this bizarre bickering.

LenS, what's going on, dude? Why the spite? Why the know it all attitude? Why the anger? This just is not the LenS I met when first joining NES.

Respectfully,

Rich

Rich,

I don't know Bob P from anyone else and if I walked by him tomorrow I wouldn't have a clue who he was. I know nothing about his work, expertise, etc. (same goes for you). I was not arguing with him. I merely pointed out that just because something is illegal does not mean that SOME people/companies don't do it. Bob can be the nicest, most intelligent guy in the world with 100% integrity . . . but just like there are some bad cops (many here love cop-bashing), not everyone in every industry is fastidious about other people's private info (I've personally witnessed too many privacy breaches to believe otherwise). That is all that I was pointing out. [And the ISO that Bob mentioned may well be the vague recollection that I had of being told about that.]

What I posted last week was grossly mis-interpreted. It was a management issue and whoever was in charge (might have been the BOD or officers for all I know) failed to designate someone to handle an event. There is more to it, but it involved a conversation with a couple of GOAL BOD members and nobody here is interested in that, nor do I think it my place to post what I was told.

My suggestion to Bob P and yourself is to go into your settings and set my username to "ignore". I'm sure that you'll be happier that way and so will I.

end of discussion!

I've had Amica for a long time myself. We just recently had to make some changes to our home owner's policy and during the phone call, they asked if we own guns. They further asked how many, for what purpose are they used and if there are children in the house. I answered the questions honestly. I went on to ask why they asked these questions and the response was that it's not about being against guns and that it won't have a financial impact on the policy. The underwriter also mentioned that they ask about pools and dogs as well.

We'll see where this goes.

I've had Amica for a long time myself. We just recently had to make some changes to our home owner's policy and during the phone call, they asked if we own guns. They further asked how many, for what purpose are they used and if there are children in the house. I answered the questions honestly. I went on to ask why they asked these questions and the response was that it's not about being against guns and that it won't have a financial impact on the policy. The underwriter also mentioned that they ask about pools and dogs as well.

We'll see where this goes.

I wonder what they would say if you said "We have them in case of zombies." [rofl]

-Mike

If they're not anti gun and it doesn't have an effect on the financials of the policy, then why ask at all?

the same reason they ask about "pools and dogs" [laugh] The answers you get on the phone have no weight until you get that in writing. When your premiums go up, just try that "but the guy on the phone said ..." approach.

I am wandering why Amica has been really heavy on ads lately pushing the "good" image. My experience with them was pretty shitty and I see the a-hole DNA in them just like in the BOA. Sooner or later, it won't end well.

Back
Top Bottom