Amica Insurance Is Anti Gun

My understanding that if there is a claim against your policy (for any reason) and they find out you own firearms, they can cancel your policy and leave you hanging.
That sounds legal. Because I know a piece of property, THEY don't like. f*** that

Lost our Cape House coverae after a loss last January Called Amica, but they won't insure a second house unless you insure your primary with them. PITA. Thy want to do an inspection of every room, basement, furnace, attic, and take pictures. F*ck that noise. Then they asked if I had firearms. I replied affirmatively. Then they asked how many.

I said 'rifles, shotguns, or handguns?'.

She said in total.

I said I had a collection, including old military firearms.

She again asked how many.

I said 'dozens'.

Silence.

Declined.

Please post the declination letter or let us know the specific reason they gave on the declination, if they decline coverage they have to provide it in writing. From the sounds of it there were other underwriting reasons at play here that had zero to do with yiur gun collection. If you had a loss the year before most companies won’t write a new policy for you and if they do, they’ll want to verify the damage has been repaired, depending on the nature of the loss. Companies generally won’t wrire seasonal homes, particularly those considered coastal exposures, without insuring the primary home. No one wants to insure the seasonal/coastal stuff, they do it as an accommodation for their existing clients. Either that or you can go to a specialty lines carrier who will give you very basic coverage and charge you a fortune. I could get into all the reasons why but there are legitimate underwriting reasons and potential cross coverage issues when insuring multiple personal properties w different carriers.

Last edited:
My understanding that if there is a claim against your policy (for any reason) and they find out you own firearms, they can cancel your policy and leave you hanging.

They can cancel your policy if you made a Material misrepresentation to them. Ie if they asked you if you had guns and you lied to them.

You’re entering into a contract with the carrier. Among other things they promise to defend you if you get sued for negligence. Your part in this is to pay a premium for that service. They need to be able to know what you might get sued for in order to calculate what that premium should be, so by lying to them about not having guns you’re defrauding them and they can choose to non-renew the relationship when the current term expires (think of it as breaking up with a gf who lied to you about not having a kid), OR, in the event someone gets sued for injuries caused by an ND, they can deny coverage for that as the lie about not having firearms has material bearing on the claim at hand. Even then they have to jump through a ton of legal hoops to make a denial like that stick.

Bottom line is they have a legitimate business reason reason to ask. It’s to always about anti’s.

Bob,

The person I spoke with seemed concerned about the number of guns I had. It would seem ten or a hundred guns provides the same risk to them. Is this logic correct? I understand they may not see it that way...

They were of course very interested in our dogs. Not so much about the bird, although the bird can bite with the best of them.

Finally, she mentioned something named CLUE where they check on prior claims history. That's not something I knew about. Kinda like a credit check for your insurance history. I learned you're eligible to get one report per year for free from LexisNexis. I ordered one online. Here's the link:

LexisNexis Personal Reports

Any idea what shows up on that report?

Thanks

Rich

They can cancel your policy if you made a Material misrepresentation to them. Ie if they asked you if you had guns and you lied to them.

You’re entering into a contract with the carrier. Among other things they promise to defend you if you get sued for negligence. Your part in this is to pay a premium for that service. They need to be able to know what you might get sued for in order to calculate what that premium should be, so by lying to them about not having guns you’re defrauding them and they can choose to non-renew the relationship when the current term expires (think of it as breaking up with a gf who lied to you about not having a kid), OR, in the event someone gets sued for injuries caused by an ND, they can deny coverage for that as the lie about not having firearms has material bearing on the claim at hand. Even then they have to jump through a ton of legal hoops to make a denial like that stick.

Bottom line is they have a legitimate business reason reason to ask. It’s to always about anti’s.

Bob,

The person I spoke with seemed concerned about the number of guns I had. It would seem ten or a hundred guns provides the same risk to them. Is this logic correct? I understand they may not see it that way...

They were of course very interested in our dogs. Not so much about the bird, although the bird can bite with the best of them.

Finally, she mentioned something named CLUE where they check on prior claims history. That's not something I knew about. Kinda like a credit check for your insurance history. I learned you're eligible to get one report per year for free from LexisNexis. I ordered one online. Here's the link:

LexisNexis Personal Reports

Any idea what shows up on that report?

Thanks

Rich

It pulls from iso which is an insurance reporting service. It will say what claims you filed, what they were for and how much was paid.

I suspect the question around how many guns is to get a handle on how much high value property you have. The 2500 limit is for theft only. If you had a fire or another kind of loss they would be covered in full

We were approved by Amica. I did explain that all firearms are stored according to MA law in gun safes. I have a fair sized collection and that did not impact their decision for home, umbrella and auto.

They did explain that firearms are limited to $2500, which I expected.

Personally I would avoid Hanover Insurance. I had a very bad claims experience with them.

Look up your insurance company here:

Auto insurers ratings: pcr study

Home insurer ratings: pcr study

You'll see why I wanted Amica...

I'm not buying those ratings. I spent a number of years auditing auto insurance in MA (underwriting and claims, personal and commercial) and, well, let's just say I had Commerce/MAPFRE when I started the job and now I have Liberty. Amica is not a bad choice.

Back
Top Bottom