• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Amica Insurance Is Anti Gun

A friend of mine was applying for car and homeowner's insurance. All was going fine and the policy was ready to be issued when the lady asked if he had any guns. Being an honest person he answered yes I have guns. I am licensed to own firearms. She asked if he carried. He said he did. She said "that is going to be a problem". He asked why exercising his 2nd amendment right is a problem. She told him the company will not cover any homes with guns in them.

He was pissed.

She told him the company will not cover any homes with guns in them.

Your friend is lying to you, or he misunderstood the agent.

According to the most recent Gallup poll, 38% of American homes contain firearms. I find it hard to believe that Amica Insurance will not underwrite, under any circumstances, homes with firearms.

Furthermore, here is a link to the page where they clearly state that they will indeed create a personal schedule policy for firearms which, due to high value, is how most people insure their guns. It's certainly how mine are covered, as an adjunct to my homeowners policy. When I was a renter, it was the same way.

The world is anti enough, let's not increase the paranoia.

http://www.amica.com/claim_center/personalProperty.html

Last edited:
So what if you already have Amica Insurance for many years and you are a Gun Owner with a Class A. Are they going to, deny your policy renewal or increase your premium? Was this just because he carries or just because he is Licensed? This would be a F-up way of denying your 2nd amendment right. I am not sure if your friend told you the whole story. I would check Amica's website before jumping into conclusions. Amica is a top insurance company.

Last edited:
That's curious. I went onto their web site and searched on "guns" and came up with a number of hits explaining that there was a dollar limit on gun coverage (and also on things like jewelry and art, etc.), pretty much the same as all the other homeowner's policies that I'm aware of.

I have been an amica home insurance customer for about 5 years. They never asked me once if I had firearms in the house. I also just switched my auto insurance over to amica and they never asked at that time either.

Horribly prejudiced of amica to do this if it's true.

I had also heard from an Amica agent/employee that they "don't like to insure anyone with firearms". This was quite a few years ago.

I suspect that the attitude of Amica in MA may well be different from their attitude in Alabama or Texas, for example. It probably reflects local prejudice by local employees/managers.

I do know that their customer service is nowhere near as good today as it was back before they started the "carpet bomb advertising campaign" they now run.

Been with AMICA for over 16 Yrs. Have no complaints. They have processed all my requests and claims very fast with no issues. It would be a shame if they changed their dance.

All I know is what he told me. The agent specifically asked if he owned firearms and if he carried. He answered he that did and they would not give him a policy.

Is the agent an Amica employee or is your friend going through a separate insurance agency? Could be the agency that is anti, not Amica.

I WISH I would run into people like that. Actually I never have, even in Mass. A doctor asking about guns in the house? Oh PLEASE let that happen to me. Nothing like a good vent of righteous rage to make my day. Insurance company said that I'd ask to see her boss and explain that me and the rest of my friends would not only never do business with them, but they could expect an organized boycott through SAF and GOA and JFPO within days. The look on their face would be priceless.

Verbally stomping these idiots into the dirt and threatening to hurt them economically works. Failure to do so only encourages the anti zealots.

I have amica home, car, and personal liability. I was asked if I owned firearms when I was getting my umbrella policy. Said yes, it was a non issue.

I have amica home, car, and personal liability. I was asked if I owned firearms when I was getting my umbrella policy. Said yes, it was a non issue.

I've had the same with Amica for years. When we bought our current house I don't recall if I was asked or not. Overall I've been pretty happy with Amica. That is to say as happy as someone can be with an insurance company.

Amica knows I own firearms (I asked them point-blank about it) and had no problem insuring me. You should have asked for a supervisor - that statement is flagrantly untrue.

I worked for Amica for 11 years. When I was there the VP in charge of homeowner claims was a big time shooter with a large collection. Amica uses agents to write their high risk auto business but for HO you can only go direct to the company.

I've been insured with them for home, auto, boat and umbrella for 20 years. The platinum HO policy has increased limits for firearms. If some young underwriter is giving you flak about guns, ask for a supervisor. I am quite sure Amica has no policy concerning guns other than asking if you have them just like would ask about jewelry, or art work, etc.

Another possibility is the person giving you the BS worked for some other douche insurance co and has carried "guns are bad" over from their old job.

-Mike

Amica sent me a letter around this time last year to inform me that they will not renew my auto insurance policy.

Their reasoning were as followed:

1. My brother's driving record (He does NOT live with me or is listed as an operator to any of my vehicles).

2. My wife received a parking ticket in 2009 (NON-moving violation).

I guess they don't need my business...

Yes but they are employed directly by Amica. They aren't 3rd parties.

They aren't called agents, they are called underwriters. As you note, they work directly for Amica. I've been insured with them for over 30 years and no one has ever asked me about firearms.

Back
Top Bottom