• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Alert - Public Hearing Thursday Morning at State House - All 2A related legislation

Adding to this. The Chairman asked Rep. David T. Vierra to start an oversight committee to look into local authorities and their implementation of suitability requirements. This could be a stall tactic, it could be genuine. But follow up with him about the issue.

Covering their asses, maybe?

Could be that they realize that by allowing over zealous CLEO's to adopt unnecessary and onerous suitability requirements, that given time,
the whole MA licensing scheme could be open to a court challenge if things got too out of hand.

A number of years ago, even the MCOPA advised it's members to tread lightly WRT suitability issues and additional requirements out of concern
that their shenanigans could end up backfiring on them.

Nice write up Mike. Lets hope you get some traction on a couple things. Thank you to GOAL for proposing the new legislation and for continuing to fight for our rights. Ditto for everyone else who was able to attend. Great job!

THIS is exactly why we need to support GOAL and Comm2A in a big way. They work hard on our behalf publicly and behind the scenes.

With regard to suppressors, gun restrictionists use the noise from gun ranges against gun ranges. If, in a perfect world, no appreciable noise came from a gun range and all rounds were guaranteed to be contained, upon what basis would gun prohibitionists lobby to get that range closed? Since the goal of disarmament enthusiasts is actually to end firearms ownership altogether, they're not going to want to give up the leverage they have against gun ranges.

I for one think a short hearing is a good thing. Last time we were there until after 6pm. I am sure they don't want a repeat. And since the anti side failed to show up it would seem to me that there is not the support from that side to push this crap.

That's fine by me. I just wanted to see it go down so I could get a lay of the land for next time.

With regard to suppressors, gun restrictionists use the noise from gun ranges against gun ranges. If, in a perfect world, no appreciable noise came from a gun range and all rounds were guaranteed to be contained, upon what basis would gun prohibitionists lobby to get that range closed? Since the goal of disarmament enthusiasts is actually to end firearms ownership altogether, they're not going to want to give up the leverage they have against gun ranges.

They tried shutting down Danvers Fish & Game in Middleton, MA some years ago based on the noise. The people/residents filing the petition lost because the club was there before their new houses were built, and were told that if they didn't like the noise, they should move. The one thing that came out of this was no shooting can start on any outdoor ranges prior to 9am unless it is approved by the Middleton CoP. To date as far as I know, he has never stopped any matches from starting at 8am whenever it is requested by the club.

They tried shutting down Danvers Fish & Game in Middleton, MA some years ago based on the noise. The people/residents filing the petition lost because the club was there before their new houses were built, and were told that if they didn't like the noise, they should move. The one thing that came out of this was no shooting can start on any outdoor ranges prior to 9am unless it is approved by the Middleton CoP. To date as far as I know, he has never stopped any matches from starting at 8am whenever it is requested by the club.
Now they tried to close it by claiming they had a 40 cal bullet flew a mile out of the range and hit some condos. The club is now gonna install those no-blue-sky bullshit.

Thanks to all that made it.
No way to get me covered today.
Sounds like one of the best ones yet.
No Linskey ? No Rosenthal? No bussed in anti's? That's amazing.
I sure hope the committee to call the over the tops chiefs out on the carpet happens.
It sounds like at least a couple of the members might have some hard questions for them.

no need, GOAL is already working on it :)

Mike, you have the wrong Jim, Ben is referring to Jim Timilty not Jim Wallace.

Never hurts to hear from multiple people, besides maybe I can get him to spring for drinks and appetizers again.

Yup, I'm always up for a spirited conversation with him.

So why it, that when they finally pass a Bill it cannot be rescinded, but they can try and try until they get one to pass? We go through the same crap year after year here in RI.

Because unless a court invalidates a law somehow, you have to file another piece of legislation to destroy the crappy legislation. There's also a built in reluctance in legislative circles to get rid of laws....

Usually most of the trash grade gun bills never pass. The time you get worried is when there are powerful people with lots of influence backing them, like what happened last time with the Sandy Hook BS, there was a push from "above" that "something" had to pass.

-Mike

Remember not to let up. Only half the committee was in attendance (I'm sure the other HALF had very important things to attend to... this blows my mind), so share what you learned, share relevant info, AND contact your local reps WRT various bills. Anyone else in Chris Walsh's district, when I first got in touch with him he said the suppressor bill seemed logical. Hope is not lost, but we need to keep up the game.

Mike

I actually had a positive feel about the hearing. Hope it wasn't wasted...

Remember not to let up. Only half the committee was in attendance (I'm sure the other HALF had very important things to attend to... this blows my mind), so share what you learned, share relevant info, AND contact your local reps WRT various bills. Anyone else in Chris Walsh's district, when I first got in touch with him he said the suppressor bill seemed logical. Hope is not lost, but we need to keep up the game.

Mike

Definitely follow up with your legislators and the committee members. I would guess that the committee members not in attendance were at the big "fair wage" thing today, I saw quite a bit about it on social media.

Also they pushed back the hearing on the no-fly list as the sponsoring rep couldn't be there. If you can make the hearing for that, it would be great, but I'm sure GOAL will be there to cover the due process issue.

That said, with issues like that I think it is best to point out the "A" for effort they get at the same time... IE "we don't want to see guns in the hands of dangerous people any more than you do, but as the no-fly list currently works, here is the problem it presents..."

Mike

I would LOVE to also see the adjustable stock revision passed. What a royal PITA for no good reason.
metioned this at the regional hearings last year. 3 friggin inches--WTF??? i can have it on my pump shotty, but not on an ar. comment fell on deaf ears.

Are all these bills just dead and buried, only to be resurrected as something else in July/August?

H2188 and H3914 will spring up from hibernation to be forced through without more than 24 hours notice, just like the committee meeting.

We all know the other side has this all planned out. Our side needs to:
A) Be ready to respond. We need an infrastructure/network, in place and ready to spring (remember "It's Time"?).
B) Be more pro-active, instead of ractive. We need to use the same (and better) tactics.

I know the there was not much notice given for this hearing but I still find it very odd that only 1 person from the other side showed up. Call me crazy but I think there is more to it. I am gonna put on my tin foil hat and say that was a well calculated move on their part. Send almost know one and give us pro 2a people the impression that they won't show in the future so alot of us will say "i don't need to show up to support 2a cause the anti's won't even be there and then BOOM. They come out in large #'s and we have a very low turnout on a day that actually counts.

Am I over thinking this?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

I know the there was not much notice given for this hearing but I still find it very odd that only 1 person from the other side showed up. Call me crazy but I think there is more to it. I am gonna put on my tin foil hat and say that was a well calculated move on their part. Send almost know one and give us pro 2a people the impression that they won't show in the future so alot of us will say "i don't need to show up to support 2a cause the anti's won't even be there and then BOOM. They come out in large #'s and we have a very low turnout on a day that actually counts.

Am I over thinking this?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

I was thinking the same thing. The Moms have a clueless front woman but well paid strategists behind her.

Back
Top Bottom