• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Alert - Public Hearing Thursday Morning at State House - All 2A related legislation

Any chance a group from NE shooters will be getting together to attend? I might be able to make it. It is extremely rare that I get a day off during the week but might have Thursday off

At first glance there seems to be a lot of good stuff in there, not a snowballs chance in hell of most of it, if any passing. And of course the usual BS bills by the same BS people.

This one's ugly

SECTION 1. Section 131 of Chapter 140 of the General Laws, as appearing in the 2012 Official Edition, is hereby amended by adding the following new paragraph after paragraph three:—

No license to carry shall be issued pursuant to this section unless and until the applicant for the license or for the renewal of an existing license presents to the licensing authority a complete list of every handgun owned by the applicant along with a certificate of insurance verifying that the applicant has a valid insurance policy insuring against any harm or damage that might arise out of the use of each weapon on said list. The applicant shall swear under the penalties of perjury that said list is a complete list of all handguns owned by the applicant. The insurance policy shall be in an amount of at least $250,000 and shall list the specific weapons covered by the policy. The list presented to the licensing authority shall match the list on the insurance policy or the license or renewal shall not issue. In the event that a holder of a license to carry acquires a new handgun after the issuance of the license or the renewal of an existing license, the holder shall register the weapon as required by law and shall forward to the licensing authority a true copy of a certificate of insurance verifying the existence of insurance, as required herein, for said new weapon or weapons within thirty days of acquisition. Such a policy of insurance shall be available to satisfy any judgment for personal injuries or property damages arising out of the unintentional, accidental or unlawful use of an insured weapon, provided that, in the event of multiple judgments, judgments for medical bills shall have a priority in the order that said judgments are satisfied and, provided further, that medical bills paid for by or owed to the Commonwealth and any municipal or regional governmental entity shall have a super priority and shall be satisfied first out of all such judgments for medical bills. In the event that a judgment issues against the license holder for personal injuries or property damage that cannot be satisfied by the required insurance policy due to the holder’s failure to maintain said policy, the license holder may be punished by imprisonment by not more than five years.

SECTION 2: Section 131 ½ of Chapter 140 of the General Laws, as so appearing, is hereby amended by striking out the second sentence and inserting in place thereof the following sentence:-

The board shall consist of nine individuals, one of whom shall be a member of the gun owners action league, one of whom shall be a member of stop handgun violence, one of whom shall be a police chief selected from a list of four selected by the police chiefs association, one of whom shall be a district attorney selected from a list of three selected by the district attorney’s association, and one of whom shall be the director of the firearms records bureau within the criminal history systems board.

SECTION 3: Section 129C of Chapter 140 of the General Laws, as so appearing, is hereby amended by striking out in line 16 the words “shall be made” and inserting in that line after the word “gun,” the following:- “a seller or owner shall make”.

SECTION 4: Section 131 subsection (d) of Chapter 140 of the General Laws, as so appearing, is hereby amended by inserting thereafter the following sentence;-

(viii) has not successfully completed a firearms safety course of at least twenty hours, including a minimum of four hours of practical shooting instruction at a firing range that has been approved by the secretary of public safety or his designee.

SECTION 5: Section 123 of Chapter 140 of the General Laws, as so appearing, is hereby amended by striking out, in line 64 the word “and”, and by inserting after the word “thirty-one” the following words:- “;and that no more than one firearm shall be sold to any person in the Commonwealth who has purchased a firearm within the past 30 days.”

SECTION 6: Section 131K of Chapter 140 of the General Laws, as so appearing, is hereby amended by striking out the first sentence and inserting in place thereof the following sentence:-

“All weapons as defined in section 121 including, but not limited to, firearms, large capacity weapons, rifles and shotguns sold within the commonwealth without a safety device designed to prevent the discharge of such weapon by unauthorized users and approved by the colonel of the state police including, but no limited to, mechanical locks or devices designed to recognize and authorize, or otherwise allow the firearm to be discharged by its owner or authorized user, by solenoid use-limitation devices, key activated or combination trigger or handle locks, radio frequency tags, automated fingerprint identification systems or voice recognition, provided, that such device is commercially available, shall be defective and the sale of such weapons shall constitute a breach of warranty under section 2-314 of chapter 106 and an unfair and deceptive trade act or practice under section 2 of chapter 93A.”

SECTION 7: Chapter 269 of the General Laws, as so appearing, is hereby amended by striking out section 10E and inserting place thereof the following section:-

Section 10E. Whoever, except as provided by law, in a single transaction or occurrence or in a series of transactions within a twelve month period, knowingly or intentionally distributes, sells, or transfers possession of a quantity of firearms, rifles, shotguns, machine guns, assault weapons or any combination thereof, shall, if the quantity of firearms, rifles, shotguns, machine guns, assault weapons or any combination thereof is:

(1) Three or more, but less than ten, be punished by a term of imprisonment of not more than ten years in the state prison. No sentence imposed under the provisions of this paragraph shall be for less than a mandatory minimum term of imprisonment of five years and a fine of not more than seventy-five thousand dollars may be imposed but not in lieu of the mandatory minimum term of imprisonment, as established herein.

(2) Ten or more, but less than twenty, be punished by a term of imprisonment of not more than ten years in the state prison. No sentence imposed under the provisions of this paragraph shall be for less than a mandatory minimum term of imprisonment of seven years and a fine of not more than one hundred and twenty-five thousand dollars may be imposed but not in lieu of the mandatory minimum term of imprisonment, as established herein.

(3) Twenty or more, be punished by a term of imprisonment not less than ten years up to life imprisonment in the state prison. No sentence imposed under the provisions of this paragraph shall be for less than a mandatory minimum term of imprisonment of twelve years and a fine of not more than one hundred and seventy-five thousand dollars may be imposed but not in lieu of the mandatory minimum term of imprisonment, as established herein.

A prosecution commenced under this section shall not be placed on file or continued without a finding, and the sentence imposed upon a person convicted of violating any provision of said section shall not be reduced to less than the mandatory minimum term of imprisonment as established in said section, nor shall any sentence of imprisonment imposed upon any person be suspended or reduced until such person shall have served said mandatory minimum term of imprisonment.

A person convicted of violating any provision of this section shall not, until he shall have served the mandatory minimum term of imprisonment established herein, be eligible for probation, parole, furlough, work release, or receive any deduction from his sentence for good conduct under sections one hundred and twenty-nine, one hundred and twenty-nine C and one hundred and twenty-nine D of chapter one hundred and twenty-seven; provided, however, that the commissioner of corrections may, on the recommendation of the warden, superintendent, or other person in charge of the correctional institution, grant to said offender a temporary release in the custody of an officer of such institution for the following purposes: to attend the funeral of a relative, to visit a critically ill relative, or to obtain emergency medical or psychiatric services unavailable at said institution. The provisions of section eighty-seven of chapter two hundred and seventy-six shall not apply to any person, seventeen years of age or over, charged with a violation of said sections, or to any child between the age of fourteen and seventeen, so charged, if the court is of the opinion that the interests of the public require that he shall be tried for such offense instead of being dealt with as a child.
View Full Website

Is it worth emailing the committee members with a list of bills supported vs opposed? There are an 42 bills scheduled to be heard within the 4 hour period.

The big question is what can we do? I might be able to attend but if not who can we contact to voice our opposition to some of the ridiculous items listed in there?

I may go in. I have class, so I need to see if they are being recorded.

Mike

Sent from my cell phone with a tiny keyboard and large thumbs...

If you are referring to the hearing being recorded, the answer is NO. I confirmed that with my state rep.

Only written testimony is copied and transmitted to every member of the committee, whether they are in the room or not for the hearing (and there is a lot of drifting in and out during the hearings).

- - - Updated - - -

The big question is what can we do? I might be able to attend but if not who can we contact to voice our opposition to some of the ridiculous items listed in there?

Well worded letter to the co-chairs addressing the bills. They will copy and distribute to ALL the members of the committee.

Here is a list of contact info for the Public Safety committee. Rep Naughton & Sen Timilty are the chairmen. Remember to be polite. If one of these is your rep or sen make sure they know you are a constituent.

[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]

Here's the individual info of the House and Senate members on the committee
House Members

Harold P. Naughton, Jr. House Chairman (D Clinton)
State House Room 167 Boston, MA 02133 Phone: 617-722-2230 Fax: 617-722-9278 Email: [email protected] District Office 200 High Street, 1st Floor Clinton, MA 01510 Phone: 978-365-1955 Fax: 978-368-8458

Linda Dean Campbell House Vice Chair (D Methuen)
State House Room 236 Boston, MA 02133 Phone: 617-722-2430F ax: 617-722-9278 Email: [email protected]

Bruce J. Ayers (D Quincy)
State House Room 167 Boston, MA 02133 Phone: 617-722-2230 Email: [email protected]

James J. Dwyer (D Woburn)
State House Room 254 Boston, MA 02133 Phone: 617-722-2220 Fax: 617-626-0831 Email: [email protected]

Alan Silvia (D Fall River)
State House Room 174B oston, MA 02133 Phone: 617-722-2877 Fax: 617-626-0168 Email: [email protected]

Paul Tucker (D Salem)
State House Room 134 Boston, MA 02133 Phone: 617-722-2400 Email: [email protected]

Timothy R. Whelan (R Brewster)
State House Room 39 Boston, MA 02133 Phone: 617-722-2014 Email: [email protected]

James M. Cantwell (D Marshfield)
State House Room 22 Boston, MA 02133 Phone: 617-722-2140 Fax: 617-626-0835 Email: [email protected]

Paul R. Heroux (D Attleboro)
State House Room 540 Boston, MA 02133 Phone: 617-722-2090 Fax: 617-626-0335 Email: [email protected] District Office 444 Newport Ave. Attleboro, MA 02703 Phone: 508-639-9511

Rady Mom (D Lowell)
State House Room 443 Boston, MA 02133 Phone: 617-722-2460 Email: [email protected]

David T. Vieira (R East Falmouth)
State House Room 167 Boston, MA 02133 Phone: 617-722-2230 Email: [email protected] District Office 346 Gifford Street Unit 3 Falmouth, MA 02540 Phone: 508-548-8683

Senate Members

James E. Timilty Senate Chair (D Walpole)
State House Room 507 Boston, MA 02133 Phone: 617 722-1222 Fax: 617-722-1056 Email: [email protected]

Michael O. Moore Senate Vice Chair (D Millbury)
State House Room 109-B Boston, MA 02133 Phone: 617-722-1485 Fax: 617-722-1066 Email: [email protected] District Office3 6 North Quinsigamond Avenue, Shrewsbury, MA 01545 Phone: (508) 757-0323 x 13

Sonia Chang-Diaz (D Boston)
State House Room 111 Boston, MA 02133 Phone: 617-722-1673 Fax: 617-722-1079Email: [email protected]

Jennifer L. Flanagan (D Leominster)
State House Room 312D Boston, MA 02133 Phone: 617-722-1230 Fax: 617-722-1130 Email: [email protected] District Office 24 Church Street, Leominster, MA 01453 Phone: 978-534-3388

James T. Welch (D West Springfield)
State House Room 309 Boston, MA 02133 Phone: 617-722-1660 Email: [email protected] District Office 32-34 Hampden Street Springfield, MA 01103 Phone: 413-737-7756 Fax: 413-306-5179

Richard J. Ross Assistant Minority Leader (R Wrentham)
State House Room 419 Boston, MA 0213 3Phone: 617-722-1555 Fax: 617-722-1054 Email: [email protected]

This should be at the top of the feed. The "bad" gun bills are way stronger than the "good" gun bills even though there may be less of them.

Stupid question since I'm just not familiar with the process. This isn't going to be like a couple years ago where we could present oral testimony, is it? Or is it more go, bring your letters, and make certain they see we haven't gone away? They've only got 4 hours, I assume the sponsors are going to be doing most of the talking?

Because 50BMGs are the problem. [rolleyes] Although most don't have a prayer of passing, there are several positive bills filed, and those legislators deserve our support for doing so.

S.1247
Section 123A. Notwithstanding any other provision of this chapter, law or regulation to the contrary, it shall be unlawful to sell, purchase, rent, lease or possess a .50 BMG rifle or .50 BMG cartridge. Any person violating this section shall be punished by a fine of not less than $1,000 nor more than $10,000, or by imprisonment for not less than 1 year nor more than 10 years, or by both such fine and imprisonment.

In addition to all other rates of tax provided herein, an additional surcharge of 4.75 percent shall be imposed on the storage, use or other consumption of ammunition, rifles, shotguns, firearms or parts thereof, as those terms are defined in section 121 of chapter 140, purchased from any vendor or manufactured, fabricated or assembled from materials acquired either within or outside the commonwealth for storage, use or consumption within the commonwealth.

So it's a rerun of sept 13 2013, minus mumbles and deville? Newtown parents wheeled in? Can we just give the same speech. Damn this is getting old.

So it's a rerun of sept 13 2013, minus mumbles and deville? Newtown parents wheeled in? Can we just give the same speech. Damn this is getting old.

This hearing just came to light last night. If the opposition shows up in huge numbers it will be very telling.

**** it, I'll be there. My con-law class is being recorded and my crim-law class... well I'll get the notes from someone.

I'll get some notes together and make an effort to present my testimony.

ETA: if you are just going to go and read some manifesto about how they are evil and bla bla bla... Just stay home, you make it more difficult for those of us who understand how the world works and the reality of the situation.

Mike

Because 50BMGs are the problem. [rolleyes] Although most don't have a prayer of passing, there are several positive bills filed, and those legislators deserve our support for doing so.

Filed by Sen. Cynthia Creem explains it. She's so radical that I'm not certain that any of her bills get taken seriously (but we must not rely on that).

Stupid question since I'm just not familiar with the process. This isn't going to be like a couple years ago where we could present oral testimony, is it? Or is it more go, bring your letters, and make certain they see we haven't gone away? They've only got 4 hours, I assume the sponsors are going to be doing most of the talking?

Legistraitors, gov't officials get first shot, then the anti crowd and us last. Yes they always take oral testimony, it's a legal requirement. But many will leave the room (typically) once we start speaking, so written is best with some speaking.

This hearing just came to light last night. If the opposition shows up in huge numbers it will be very telling.

Figures, and it pisses me off that we only get less than 2 days notice.

Those that don't have to work for a living (anti crowd) can easily show up on the drop of a hat.

**** it, I'll be there. My con-law class is being recorded and my crim-law class... well I'll get the notes from someone.

I'll get some notes together and make an effort to present my testimony.

ETA: if you are just going to go and read some manifesto about how they are evil and bla bla bla... Just stay home, you make it more difficult for those of us who understand how the world works and the reality of the situation.

Mike

You mean like ?

buttkisser2.jpeg

Ok got it....

There is a degree of "politics" involved in politics. Going and reinforcing a bunch of politicians stereotypes about you, doesn't actually help anything on the legislative front. You're better off using your time as a presentable MA resident appealing to reason...

Obviously it's your right... Just letting you know that it makes it harder for the rest of us who are actually trying to get things changed in the state. If it makes you happy to thump your chest and posture, rather than attack or support legislation in an intelligent manner, that's your prerogative... just know you are about as useful as the open-carry starbucks cocksuckers.

Mike

There is a degree of "politics" involved in politics. Going and reinforcing a bunch of politicians stereotypes about you, doesn't actually help anything on the legislative front. You're better off using your time as a presentable MA resident appealing to reason...

Obviously it's your right... Just letting you know that it makes it harder for the rest of us who are actually trying to get things changed in the state. If it makes you happy to thump your chest and posture, rather than attack or support legislation in an intelligent manner, that's your prerogative... just know you are about as useful as the open-carry starbucks cocksuckers.

Mike

Ya we thank you from the bottom of our star buck drinking cock sucking bleeding hearts for Getting things done for us, your doing a heck of a job you and you only...For the record your the one getting loud here...

This one needs to pass:

Section 120A. No county, municipality, township or other community entity within the Commonwealth of Massachusetts may enact, pass or enforce any law, ordinance or regulation concerning the lawful ownership, use, possession, transfer, purchase, receipt or transportation of weapons, antique weapons, ammunition or ammunition components.

The right to keep and bear arms is an individual civil right and shall be presumed to exist in all matters regarding the ownership, use, possession, transfer, purchase, receipt or transportation of weapons, antique weapons, ammunition or ammunition components unless expressly prohibited by the general laws of this Commonwealth.

Timothy Toomey needs a boot in the ass.

No renewal unless you list every handgun you own and provide proof of insurance for it.

How about this? Suck my ass.

Yea, read that. That is total horse $hit. Heller and McDonald, what?

This one needs to pass:

Section 120A. No county, municipality, township or other community entity within the Commonwealth of Massachusetts may enact, pass or enforce any law, ordinance or regulation concerning the lawful ownership, use, possession, transfer, purchase, receipt or transportation of weapons, antique weapons, ammunition or ammunition components.

The right to keep and bear arms is an individual civil right and shall be presumed to exist in all matters regarding the ownership, use, possession, transfer, purchase, receipt or transportation of weapons, antique weapons, ammunition or ammunition components unless expressly prohibited by the general laws of this Commonwealth.

Agreed this would wipe clean Lowell Chief Taylor's representation of Gun Control...

Back
Top Bottom