• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Alert - Public Hearing Thursday Morning at State House - All 2A related legislation

It seems to me that your question drives down to "am I being paranoid enough?"

Well, since they are out to get us: No - you're not overthinking this.
Good.

It's tough with the short notice to get to time off so will try to attend in the future but at minimum my wife and I both call and email our elected officials. Would be nice to get at least 5 days notice in the future....

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

I know the there was not much notice given for this hearing but I still find it very odd that only 1 person from the other side showed up. Call me crazy but I think there is more to it. I am gonna put on my tin foil hat and say that was a well calculated move on their part. Send almost know one and give us pro 2a people the impression that they won't show in the future so alot of us will say "i don't need to show up to support 2a cause the anti's won't even be there and then BOOM. They come out in large #'s and we have a very low turnout on a day that actually counts.

Am I over thinking this?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Nope, especially since this was just about bills for the session and not a place where bill-specific testimony was being solicited.

Good.

It's tough with the short notice to get to time off so will try to attend in the future but at minimum my wife and I both call and email our elected officials. Would be nice to get at least 5 days notice in the future....

Someone made a stink about this at the hearing. Their response? "We are only required to give 24 hours notice." Nice, dickbags.

Someone made a stink about this at the hearing. Their response? "We are only required to give 24 hours notice." Nice, dickbags.

Biggest bullshit was "people get the government they deserve", reinforces that government is about feelings and whims, not about laws and a Constitution.

Here's what disarmament enthusiasts will trot out specifically with regard to suppressors if/when the time comes: http://www.vpc.org/press/firearm-silencers-threaten-public-safety-new-vpc-study-finds/
Washington, DC — A new push by the gun industry to make it easier for private citizens to buy and possess firearm silencers threatens public safety, warns a new study by the Violence Policy Center (VPC). In detailing this marketing push, the study also documents examples of lethal attacks and criminal activity involving silencers.

Silencers are devices that when attached to the barrel of a firearm reduce the amount of noise generated by the firing of the weapon. In recent years, the firearms industry has aggressively marketed silencers as a new potential profit center. In fact, the number of legally registered silencers in the United States has nearly tripled since 2010: from 285,087 that year to 792,282 in 2015.

“Silencers are military-bred accessories that make it easier for criminals to take innocent lives,” states VPC Legislative Director Kristen Rand. “Even though silencers are currently difficult for private citizens to obtain, they have already been used in horrific crimes. Elected officials should stand up to the gun industry’s craven attempt to make silencers more easily available.”
Democrats / gun prohibitionists in MA will seize upon this VPC "study" as gospel.

My guess on the short notice is that they didn't want either side to have time to turn the hearing into an all day affair. The legislature doesn't seem to be interested in passing any further restriction which is good.

As to the committee, I know they are working on getting it together, hopefully we'll know more soon.

The best thing to do now is to contact your state rep/senator and ask that they contact the Public Safety Committee Chair's in support of the pro 2A legislation. Make a phone call, they seem to get the best results lately.

Just talked to my contact in the State House, he is well connected (not a rep, don't want to get more specific than that), and he said unless a bill gets out of committee in the next week they are all dead for this session. He doesn't believe anything is going to move forward including the good bills.

Just talked to my contact in the State House, he is well connected (not a rep, don't want to get more specific than that), and he said unless a bill gets out of committee in the next week they are all dead for this session. He doesn't believe anything is going to move forward including the good bills.

Damn!

We'll need a new "summit" after the elections!

remember how they came close to banning handguns in 1976!

IIRC reading the vote on Q5, it was defeated by a margin of 2 to 1. BUT keep in mind in those days there were still rifle teams in high schools, seeing someone walk down the street with a gun didn't result in a LEC with SWAT showing up, etc.

Over the intervening years, the brainwashing that guns are the cause of all evil has been unabated and today's vote would likely be horrific in MA for the same question.

So, we need to be very careful what we wish for.

Better to regularly donate to Comm2A and let them chisel away at our laws bit by bit in US District Court!

IIRC reading the vote on Q5, it was defeated by a margin of 2 to 1. BUT keep in mind in those days there were still rifle teams in high schools, seeing someone walk down the street with a gun didn't result in a LEC with SWAT showing up, etc.
Over the intervening years, the brainwashing that guns are the cause of all evil has been unabated and today's vote would likely be horrific in MA for the same question.
So, we need to be very careful what we wish for.
Better to regularly donate to Comm2A and let them chisel away at our laws bit by bit in US District Court!

Donation sent. And upped from my last donation amount (in addition to my regular monthly direct autopayments).

Was pretty much expecting this, but still had a tiny amount of hope for suppressors [sad2]

We discussed on the GOAL Podcast yesterday, the committees have until March 10 IIRC to vote and report on all legislation in committee. Hopefully the Public Safety Committee will up vote quite a few bills, there's no reason for them not to, but, as we all know, it comes down to what Speaker DeLeo wants moving.

Expect GOAL's pre-emption bill to go to "study" as they will want to sit on it until Rep. Vieira holds his hearing with the unlawful licensing authorities.

We discussed on the GOAL Podcast yesterday, the committees have until March 10 IIRC to vote and report on all legislation in committee. Hopefully the Public Safety Committee will up vote quite a few bills, there's no reason for them not to, but, as we all know, it comes down to what Speaker DeLeo wants moving.

Expect GOAL's pre-emption bill to go to "study" as they will want to sit on it until Rep. Vieira holds his hearing with the unlawful licensing authorities.

Does this mean it was sent "to committee" to die?

FYI, there is an agricultural bill which has been sent to the Senate for a vote. I suggest GOAL get reps and sens to attach amendments there.

Has there been any more word on that hearing?
If it comes to pass it should be very, very interesting

Has there been any more word on that hearing?
If it comes to pass it should be very, very interesting
Nothing, I'm fine with that, let it collect dust in study.

- - - Updated - - -

Does this mean it was sent "to committee" to die?

FYI, there is an agricultural bill which has been sent to the Senate for a vote. I suggest GOAL get reps and sens to attach amendments there.

No, it means they want to set it aside until Rep. Vieira has a chance to do his thing.

This is tomorrow.

Here's another on the plate:
Poaching Prevention Bill Clears Senate

We discussed on the GOAL Podcast yesterday, the committees have until March 10 IIRC to vote and report on all legislation in committee. ...

So, how did we make out today?

I know there was the suppressor bill and the poaching bill. Are there others? Status update?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom