• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Aimoint PRO

I have a pro. Great quality! I like it a lot considering its a cheap optic. I also have a few eotechs....I lean Aimpoint...I love the fact that the optic has been on for a year and the battery hasn't died. My eotechs would be long dead.

Have any of you guys tried the Meprolight TRU-DOT RDS? Looks very similar to an EOTECH, but uses regular AA batteries and has an Auto shut off/auto wake feature. I had one on order back during the Black Friday sale but cancelled it as I had been waiting 3+ months, but their sale price was $289, regular price of $399. Sorry for derailing the thread but to get it back on track, I have an Aimpoint PRO and have not had any issues, but had been thinking about another optic for one of my other AR's and was thinking of something different.

I have 2 PROs, 1 Comp M4s, 1 Comp M2 and a 9000....Needles to say I like them. I had an Eotech and didn't care for it, that and they are just ugly IMO. Once I latch on to something I resist change very much..[laugh]

Have any of you guys tried the Meprolight TRU-DOT RDS? Looks very similar to an EOTECH, but uses regular AA batteries and has an Auto shut off/auto wake feature. I had one on order back during the Black Friday sale but cancelled it as I had been waiting 3+ months, but their sale price was $289, regular price of $399. Sorry for derailing the thread but to get it back on track, I have an Aimpoint PRO and have not had any issues, but had been thinking about another optic for one of my other AR's and was thinking of something different.

I'd like to know this as well as I've looked at getting one. Currently have a PRO and love it.

I prefer the reticle and window on the EOTech over the PRO. The former also feels less bulky to me even though it is less than a quarter ounce difference on paper. It does annoy me a little that the EOTechs don't come with a lens cover (though they are available through a third party).

True, I have GG&G flip up covers on mine and they are sweet. The larger window was why I went with the Eotech a few years ago, as both the 512 and the PRO were similar in price. I've never tried leaving the power on to see how long it would run for, but being that it takes AA batteries, it doesn't matter much. In the time I've owned it, I've never had to change batteries yet.

I had an Eotech and didn't care for it, that and they are just ugly IMO.

So I should judge a piece of equipment on which my life "could" someday depend, by how pretty it is? Sorry, but that's way down my list on what I base my decisions on. LOL

True, I have GG&G flip up covers on mine and they are sweet. The larger window was why I went with the Eotech a few years ago, as both the 512 and the PRO were similar in price. I've never tried leaving the power on to see how long it would run for, but being that it takes AA batteries, it doesn't matter much. In the time I've owned it, I've never had to change batteries yet.

I have an EOtech 512 on my work rifle, and I have to swap the batteries every couple of weeks. It's rather irritating.

I have an EOtech 512 on my work rifle, and I have to swap the batteries every couple of weeks. It's rather irritating.

Yeah, IMHO the non XPS EoTechs are a complete waste of money, at least with a CR123 it gets some runtime to it.

-Mike

bought one of these cheap sights just to mess around with and see if a red dot is for me...so far i like the window over a tube so i can use 2 eyes since i have an astigmatism...i just picked up a scope though so a nice red dot is going to have to wait for a while but i like to read what everyone thinks...the battery issue seems to be a major drawback of the eotech...

http://www.amazon.com/AbdTech-Holog...&qid=1429126947&sr=1-3&keywords=red+dot+sight

Any Aimpoint PRO owners out there? How do you like the optic as compared to an Eotech? Thinking about picking one up but want to make sure it's worth the $400ish.

Love my PRO. I just don't understand why Eotech is still in business for one simple reason. The 3-year battery life on the Aimpoint just blows the competition out of the water. I think there's an infinite amount of value in a sight that can be left on 24/7/365 and you can trust it'll work when you need it. I just change out my battery annually to be safe (and keep a spare in my pistol grip), but the peace of mind with the battery life is worth half the price on its own. Then it's durable, holds, zero, great warranty, etc, etc..

Love my PRO. I just don't understand why Eotech is still in business for one simple reason. The 3-year battery life on the Aimpoint just blows the competition out of the water. I think there's an infinite amount of value in a sight that can be left on 24/7/365 and you can trust it'll work when you need it. I just change out my battery annually to be safe (and keep a spare in my pistol grip), but the peace of mind with the battery life is worth half the price on its own. Then it's durable, holds, zero, great warranty, etc, etc..

After all the positive feedback I ended up ordering one. Looking forward to trying it out. I just couldn't justify the price on a Micro plus quality mount so that's why I inquired about the PRO model. Although, I do really like the idea of weight reduction with the Micro.

Last edited:
So I should judge a piece of equipment on which my life "could" someday depend, by how pretty it is? Sorry, but that's way down my list on what I base my decisions on. LOL

Maybe you missed the IMO at the end? either way I don't give a flying fig what you base your decisions on.

Since some knock-offs came into the thread.. I picked up one of these since I could not justify the metric-shitton that an Aimpoint Micro costs for a secondary rifle:
https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary_Arms_Advanced_Micro_Dot_with_Push_Buttons_p/md-ads.htm

Loving it so far.. clear, holds zero, and rugged enough to handle being dropped.

Is it an Aimpoint? No. Would I bet my life on it? Not as much as an Aimpoint... but if "good enough" is ok the PA is worth looking at.

So this weekend I was at a shoot and noticed what appears to be a crack in the front lens. there is absolutely NO exterior damage to the unit. No dings or scuffs (and I baby most of my gear). Guess its time to check out the Aimpoint warranty this week. I'm pretty bummed as it zeroed just right.

I'm thinking this is a stress crack.

I upgraded my PA clone as I wanted the real deal and a truly rugged one.

Back
Top Bottom