AFS Range Suicide - No. Attleboro

yup this has happened a couple times in a short time period I don't see good things for AFS from this. They already have wicked strick rules. A student of mine got turned away because you can't go there and rent a gun buy yourself unless you have a gun of your own as well. It was explained to me was that there was a higher risk of solo rental customers being people who would come in to rent a gun to off themselves.

MFL has the same (but likely slightly less restrictive, as it allows exemptions for LTC holders and the like) rule, the actuarial math on it is pretty solid. If you can keep someone from blowing their brains out in your facility there's nothing but dividends to be paid for that.

-Mike

- - - Updated - - -

This doesn't sound good at all...

" Another trio of shooters who were inside the school when the incident took place, said they had very little to say, only that an accident took place, and there was nothing anyone could have done after it occurred."

If you saw someone just shoot themselves, you probably wouldn't have much to say, either, you'd probably be pretty effed up by the experience. (particularly if they looked like they were in bad shape).

-Mike

Well tonight you will see the news report that a women shot herself with an AK47 with a hi-cap clip.Then some moon bat will come on, and state if the clip was only a 10 rounder this wouldn't have happen. That only police should be allowed to shoot at gun ranges.

Last edited:
Looks like they are open for business today. Cars in the lot, media vans are gone.

I'm a member at AFS and enjoy shooting there. The AFS crew is friendly and helpful, and I'm sure did their best to aid the injured woman. Likely a scary experience for them as well. I like the fact that they have range officers on the line - they are quick to jump in to help out or answer questions. Also have met a lot of good people there that care very much about the responsible use of firearms.

Is there really any such thing as accidental discharge? Or, is it more like negligent discharge? Obviously the 4 rules of firearms were not followed. Regardless, I hope the injured woman has a full recovery and the experience does not turn her off from firearms forever.

A guy blows his brains out at Bob's about once a year or every other year and they're still open. (It's been at least twice now, may have happened a few other times but I've honestly lost track. ) I don't see what the hysteria is about. Most towns acknowledge that even a pay range can't be fully responsible for the acts of some 'tard in the general public. MA has had only one pay range forced closure in the recent past, and that was Boston Gun Range, and that's because the police chief in Worcester is a ****ing douchebag.

-Mike
Does Jim Ballou still own Bob's Tactical? If so, he is (or was) a police officer. He showed me his badge one day. Badge-carriers have privileges that us "civilians" do not have. Could have some bearing on how his business managed to stay open in spite of those suicides.

Well tonight you will see the news report that a women shot herself with an AK47 with a hi-cap clip.Then some moon bat will come on, and state if the clip was only a 10 rounder this wouldn't have happen. That only police should be allowed to shoot at gun ranges.

I'd be surprised if it gets more than a blip. The owners of that place do a very good job a keeping these incedents quiet. I didn't even hear about the last one untill i saw a small 1 paragraph article burried in our local paper a week after if happened.

OK since no one mentioned it ? How do you shoot yourself with a jammed gun ? Jammed guns don't shoot to good , Unless she was clearing a jam and shot herself , but a 3 year old could write better than the Reporter for the Chronicle.

OK since no one mentioned it ? How do you shoot yourself with a jammed gun ? Jammed guns don't shoot to good , Unless she was clearing a jam and shot herself , but a 3 year old could write better than the Reporter for the Chronicle.

There are 4 rules - you break all 4 of them.

Many years ago, we had a woman try to commit suicide on our pistol range at the Woburn Sportsman Association.
She came in to take a women's safety course and shot herself in the head, as the class was ending, while the other women were leaving the range.
She lived, but almost didn't make it. Rumor at the time: She was an anti-handgun fanatic and wanted to get the WSA shut down..
I just figured she was nuts, anti-gun or not.

Talk about walking the walk...

you can really break it down to 3 rules following just 1 of them will eliminate the opportunity for shooting yourself. I don't believe in the the term "accidental discharge" If it goes off its because you squeezed the trigger, if you can't control your own finger movements firearms are not for you

My guess it jammed, she pointed it 90*, pulled the trigger, ricochet struck her somewhere. Total speculation.

you can really break it down to 3 rules following just 1 of them will eliminate the opportunity for shooting yourself. I don't believe in the the term "accidental discharge" If it goes off its because you squeezed the trigger, if you can't control your own finger movements firearms are not for you

Yup. It was loaded, because you loaded it. It went off because you squeezed the trigger. And it hit you because you were pointing the muzzle at yourself. I see no accident there, just a series of negligent actions.

Yup. It was loaded, because you loaded it. It went off because you squeezed the trigger. And it hit you because you were pointing the muzzle at yourself. I see no accident there, just a series of negligent actions.

Ding!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

don't take my comment as a lack of compashion, I whole heartedly hope he/she recovers and feel for the family going through this whole thing

Last edited:
Ironic how Menino gets sympathy and this lady gets jumped on. We know Menino was a jackass when it came to guns but we know nothing about really happened here. She easily could be on our side and yet just made a huge mistake. Why poor Menino and screw this lady?

don't take my comment as a lack of compashion, I whole heartedly hope he/she recovers and feel for the family going through this whole thing

I agree.

I hope AFS takes this as a warning to improve their education and supervision practices. They have wonderful facilities, and when I've rented out the range to teach a class I've had a great time. However, my longstanding complaint about the club (and the reason why I don't shoot there) is that they let anyone walk in off the street, hand them a gun with little to no instruction and let them shoot virtually unsupervised at the range. I've seen a lot of unsafe conduct there simply because untrained shooters don't know any better. This may be an tragic example of the consequences of that kind of business practice.

I agree.

I hope AFS takes this as a warning to improve their education and supervision practices. They have wonderful facilities, and when I've rented out the range to teach a class I've had a great time. However, my longstanding complaint about the club (and the reason why I don't shoot there) is that they let anyone walk in off the street, hand them a gun with little to no instruction and let them shoot virtually unsupervised at the range. I've seen a lot of unsafe conduct there simply because untrained shooters don't know any better. This may be an tragic example of the consequences of that kind of business practice.

They already have pretty strict rules especially for renters off the street. What i see in the future is something along the lines of having to take a saftey class before hitting the range. I have never rented from them so i am unaware of any type of a gun saftey crash course they go through with the customer but something like that should be done seeing as how they likley have never shot a gun or at least that particular gun before and should be versed in it before left alone

Either that or perhaps the cost of a lane for a non licensed rental customer will go up to include a personal range guide to make sure you don't hurt yourself or somebody else

Or three, according to the NRA. Personally, I like the four rules better. Anyway you have to break more than one for someone to get hurt.

As to her condition, I'd say either very good or dead. By protocol, if she had serious, but survivable injuries, she should be taken to a trauma center. In this case it would be Rhode Island Hospital by ground or maybe Boston by air. RIH is around 18 minutes or so by ground from much of N. Attleboro. Since they took her to Sturdy either she was dead, had minor injuries, or they violated their protocols.

Accidental Discharge in No. Attleboro

Ironic how Menino gets sympathy and this lady gets jumped on. We know Menino was a jackass when it came to guns but we know nothing about really happened here. She easily could be on our side and yet just made a huge mistake. Why poor Menino and screw this lady?

Because she did it to herself.

I was there this afternoon. They were pretty busy. Range officer was somewhat active walking from side to side watching shooters. I observed him stepping in from time to time to assist / correct shooters. Although I agree that there are some less experienced shooters there, this can also be said for some of the private ranges I have been to. One can see similar behavior at each.
My thoughts go in both directions here; I'm always happy to see new people get into shooting and was thrilled with the amount of younger folks there. On the other hand, I'd also rather be shooting with folks that I know have as much, or more, experience than I do.
-VT

So SOMEONE (regardless of gender) makes a terrible mistake and this is how they are regarded????? Pretty sad... All the way around!!!

You are freaking out- you are assuming that something BAD is going to happen to AFS (or gun owners) because some dumb bitch shot herself. Those facts are not in evidence.

ETA: Despite being stupid, I hope the woman in question recovers fully. She probably won't make that mistake again.

-Mike

Snowmobilers get injured or killed in Berkshire County every winter...Snowmobile trails are open...

Yes, but no kid under 16 can ever ride an ATV again, thanks to one kid getting killed. Give them time, snowmobiles will be outlawed soon

Back
Top Bottom