Advice on an M4

I agree, building your own AR is not "easy". I have done quite a few and learned through books and practice. Videos are helpful also.

One thing not listed previously as things required is a strong set of hands and fingers.

It is easier to start with a 100% finished stripped lower. If you are going the 80% route it is very likely the holes are not going to be perfectly aligned which can make installing the pins a challenge. And milling an 80% lower is NOT easy, The first one you do will probably not come out very well, but after you have done a few they come out better.
I have a tiny milling machine - 1/4 HP
Counting turns on handles produced a perfectly functional lower with no issues fitting the trigger group
After converting to CNC it's just vacuuming chips once the setup is done - results are perfectly aligned holes

It's only not easy if you are trying to mill one out with a POS worn out drill press and a crappy jig.

However, unless you are machining an 80% for the experience, go with a stripped lower and save the time to do more enjoyable tasks.

Counting turns on handles produced a perfectly functional lower with no issues fitting the trigger group
After converting to CNC it's just vacuuming chips once the setup is done - results are perfectly aligned holes

It's only not easy if you are trying to mill one out with a POS worn out drill press and a crappy jig.

However, unless you are machining an 80% for the experience, go with a stripped lower and save the time to do more enjoyable tasks.
My friends son did his with a jig and a cordless router. IF you follow the instructions and hog it out as they instructed its really not terrible to do.
There was a good amount of “pre drilling” to to remove material.

My 2 cents without reading everyone's opinions is for a first AR there is nothing wrong with assembling a lower but I'd absolutely recommend buying a completed upper.

It's not that they are all that difficult to put together but there is the potential for messing it up some, a solid production Upper is probably the best approach to get off the ground.

You WILL want a second rifle and you could build that one out, taking your time and doing research on what you want after getting more familiar with it ect.

Aero is a great product that won't break the bank

My 2 cents without reading everyone's opinions is for a first AR there is nothing wrong with assembling a lower but I'd absolutely recommend buying a completed upper
I'd agree with that. I remember driving around town trying to find the ups guy when my rock river upper was being delivered because I just missed him and had to sign for the delivery

My friends son did his with a jig and a cordless router. IF you follow the instructions and hog it out as they instructed its really not terrible to do.
There was a good amount of “pre drilling” to to remove material.
Probably still faster than my mill - it takes an hour just to mill the pocket. Probably could get the time down some but that is more work than it's worth.

Probably still faster than my mill - it takes an hour just to mill the pocket. Probably could get the time down some but that is more work than it's worth.
If you met this “kid” and seen what he did , you would say “how did YOU pull this off”
If I did jot see it before and after I would call him a lier! Lol.
Take your time read and follow instructions. He bought everyrhing a few years ago and finally nerved up and got it done.

We have someone saying they build them on a desk, and another who builds them using a milling machine.

I guess the difference is most everybody has a desk, very few have a milling machine.

We have someone saying they build them on a desk, and another who builds them using a milling machine.

I guess the difference is most everybody has a desk, very few have a milling machine.
The former is talking about assembling a stripped receiver
The latter is talking about turning an 80% receiver into that stripped receiver

The difference is that NES is a web forum, and likes to wander...

I'd agree with that. I remember driving around town trying to find the ups guy when my rock river upper was being delivered because I just missed him and had to sign for the delivery
That had to be pre-pandemic. I swear, the current Amazon/FedEx/UPS drivers would leave a 65" flat screen next to the maibox on the curb if given half a chance.

That had to be pre-pandemic. I swear, the current Amazon/FedEx/UPS drivers would leave a 65" flat screen next to the maibox on the curb if given half a chance.
It was wayyy pre pandemic, and you're 100% correct they just drop everything and go now.

It was my first ar, built a stripped lower with a parts kit and bought a rock river upper. Think it cost me $700 total at the time. Huge savings over buying a rifle especially in MA

Back
Top Bottom