Advice on an M4

I would like to get an M4 aka AR but have not bought one in a very long time. I see the prices go from okay to WTF. Can anyone recommend a reliable one/site ect that won't require me to re-mortgage my home? I don't think I can build one like I hear a lot of folks talk about, i prefer to just buy it together.

getting a stripped lower and putting quality parts in it is a start, it is also fun to do.

Lots of videos on how to do it.

It is also fun for the whole family to find the spring that will go BOING across the room and I assure you it will happen.

The wrench you'll need for the buffer is short money and something you'll need if you start building your own uppers.

And speaking of uppers, there are good complete uppers available in all sorts of configurations, quality and price points, figure out what is is you want your gun to do and find the right upper.

Are you going to shoot 5.56 , .223, both, or something else?

Plinking? Hunting? long distances or short?

that gets into buffer type, twist rate, barrel length, chrome lined barrel or something else.

the AR platform, also known as the modern sporting rifle is an adult version of Lego, there are thousands of variations and with a good lower you can put different uppers on it to suit your needs.

But it is really fun to build your own lower

Last edited:
"Building"

More like putting a few parts together.

15 min for a LPK - if you don't have experience.
1 minute for the BCG
10 seconds to slap upper on lower
1 minute for stock
Add 10 minutes if your upper is not complete and needs a barrel. Make that 5 minutes if you don't care about maybe scratching your barrel.
1 minute for gas tube.

Add 5 min to overall if you want to be conservative.

Substract 5 min to overall if you are an experienced operator.

Tools needed:

One screw driver - can double as a hammer if needed to push those pins.

One vise - only if barrel needs to be installed.

Maybe a pin punch, but I have put together a LPK using only a tape measure to push pins.

"Building"

1 minute for the BCG
1 minute for stock
Add 10 minutes if your upper is not complete and needs a barrel. Make that 5 minutes if you don't care about maybe scratching your barrel.
1 minute for gas tube.

Tools needed:

Maybe a pin punch, but I have put together a LPK using only a tape measure to push pins.
You forgot to factor in beer breaks!!

I’ve assembled literally hundreds. Most of them in some state of inebriation, all of them work just fine.

OP, I suggest 16” barrel and mid length gas system. Carbine length gas system (which an M4 clone would presumably have) is less enjoyable to shoot. Carbine gas system is hard on the gun.

"Building"

1 minute for the BCG
1 minute for stock
1 minute for gas tube.

Tools needed:

I find the nh drivers license was the perfect width for that one pita detent pin for the take down pin

What do you want to use the rifle for? What's your budget?

BTW an M4 is full auto. You want to build a full auto?
I'm figuring 1,200 - 1,500 give or take ??
My co-workers and I always referred to our work rifles as an M4, they are only semi, didn't know

Building an AR is not easy or quick. Those who claim it's easy to build are likely to have been making/modifying ARs for so long that they forget what it's like for someone who's never done it. I am NOT a builder, but I have friends who "tried" to build ARs from parts. I wrote "tried" because one of them had never been able to finish theirs off. The other did, and I've shot it: it's nice! It took several evenings to figure out all the springs, pins, holes, etc. I'd say the one who finished his did it in about 10 hours.

I greatly respect folks who can build firearms and do not consider what they do "easy." For me, buying is the only option.

Some people do not want to build a bear. Honestly, one bent or kinked spring can mean a world of issues. Not to mention. If there is a problem. Who is he gonna send it too for warranty work? You now have just lost whatever advantage.

Honestly, if you don't plan on shooting a bunch. You can pick up something under a 1000 easy. Next step is say up to 1500. As for makers. That colt listed earlier is not a bad choice. It isn't what it once was. But, still a good value and decent quality. Throw a red dot on it. I personally went Vortex. Good warranty and they have a great turn around time.

Of course. This is just my opinion. I am not a gun snob. But, I do like the finer things in life.

Building an AR is not easy or quick. Those who claim it's easy to build are likely to have been making/modifying ARs for so long that they forget what it's like for someone who's never done it. I am NOT a builder, but I have friends who "tried" to build ARs from parts. I wrote "tried" because one of them had never been able to finish theirs off. The other did, and I've shot it: it's nice! It took several evenings to figure out all the springs, pins, holes, etc. I'd say the one who finished his did it in about 10 hours.

I greatly respect folks who can build firearms and do not consider what they do "easy." For me, buying is the only option.
If you’re at all mechanically inclined - it IS easy. There are numerous manuals, forums and videos online.

Books abound and it’s easy to get help if you have friends with more experience.

Just like bikes, cars or other similar things - hey mike - come on over and give me a hand; beer’s in the fridge. Next thing you know - you’ve got five guys drinking your beer and helping.

Just like bikes, cars or other similar things - hey mike - come on over and give me a hand; beer’s in the fridge. Next thing you know - you’ve got five guys drinking your beer and helping.
Just be careful to do things in the correct order. Beers before work result in bikes with barrels and rifles with pedals.

"Building"

1 minute for the BCG
1 minute for stock
1 minute for gas tube.

Tools needed:

Come on you really dont need a vise for any point in assembling a AR, although it is handy.

Building an upper and getting the head spacing and other things right is not for the uninitiated, but building a functional lower from a machined forging ( or casting) and a good lower parts kit can be done by a 12 year old with basic hand tools.

There are plenty of videos and online articles on the topic

If you’re at all mechanically inclined - it IS easy. There are numerous manuals, forums and videos online.

Books abound and it’s easy to get help if you have friends with more experience.

People like to build AR's because it's something to do that they enjoy. It really boils down that simply.

Is making them hard? No. Is it worth it? It depends.

I've built AR's and AK's and I'd personally never build one again if I could get away with it. There's a LOT more fun shit to do. Call me crazy.

People like to build AR's because it's something to do that they enjoy. It really boils down that simply.

Is making them hard? No. Is it worth it? It depends.

I've built AR's and AK's and I'd personally never build one again if I could get away with it. There's a LOT more fun shit to do. Call me crazy.
Yep. Depends.

I’m collecting parts for an unserialized AR10. Probably in .308 although that’s not 100% decided.

Back
Top Bottom