Advice on an M4

Come on you really dont need a vise for any point in assembling a AR, although it is handy.
Technically, you are right. You could hold the upper with your legs. But a vise is so cheap and useful for so many other things.

Building an AR is not easy or quick. Those who claim it's easy to build are likely to have been making/modifying ARs for so long that they forget what it's like for someone who's never done it. I am NOT a builder, but I have friends who "tried" to build ARs from parts. I wrote "tried" because one of them had never been able to finish theirs off. The other did, and I've shot it: it's nice! It took several evenings to figure out all the springs, pins, holes, etc. I'd say the one who finished his did it in about 10 hours.

I greatly respect folks who can build firearms and do not consider what they do "easy." For me, buying is the only option.
Wow. Took me and a buddy 3hr to build a lower the first time. Easy but we were running and pausing a video. 2nd one was even easier with threaded pins.

Just need to try it

Wow. Took me and a buddy 3hr to build a lower the first time. Easy but we were running and pausing a video. 2nd one was even easier with threaded pins.

Just need to try it
You must not be very mechanically inclined, not to be rude….many aren’t.

If you can rebuild a 2stroke, like every red blooded non-fag American should be able to do, this should be a cake walk.

My co-workers and I always referred to our work rifles as an M4

Are you and your co-workers ... law enforcement? If so, Oh My God Please take a class.

AR15s aren't hard. Buy a stripped lower, lower parts kit, aka 'LPK' which will have all the pins, springs, etc., and stock kit w/ buffer, tube, etc. LPK will come with a standard trigger. Look into replacing it immediately with a Geissele (pronounced guys-lee so you look smart at the store) or similar quality trigger. While you're at the store get a few extra of the common pins and springs for when that tiny thing goes boing under and behind the workbench.

Watch youtube videos, and build up your lower. It's an easy one evening project.

Then for your first, buy a complete upper with bolt carrier group. Add an optic and you're good to go. complete upper using the manufacturer's BCG gives some assurance they'll work well together.

There are a million websites with information, comparisons, etc. Look for "buyer's guide" magazines on your newsrack. As much as you'll get great opinions here, spend some time researching on your own to decide what'll work best for you and your wants & needs. After a while you won't have to decide what to buy. What you'll get will be a foregone conclusion because everything else is wrong.

Both *my* ARs are chambered in .223 Wylde. 1st is 20" target AR with 3-12 scope and a bipod. PRS stock. Heavy tube handguard with no attachment points. Started with a group buy stripped lower, and put a Rock River Predator Pursuit upper on it.

Second is 14.5" (plus muzzle device = 16.1") carbine (midlength gas) set up with an adjustable stock, red dot and backup iron sights, flashlight, and a sling. It's a true frankenrifle, with no two parts from the same manufacturer. Upper, lower, LPK, trigger, barrel, handguard, handgrip, muzzle device, stock, optic, and light are ALL from different companies. It's quite personalized to me.

Both insanely accurate and perfect for what *I* wanted. both run like a top and neither have ever failed to go bang when the trigger is pulled. I have two stripped lowers for future use. Oh, and a .308 AR too.

Last edited:
Building an AR is not easy or quick. Those who claim it's easy to build are likely to have been making/modifying ARs for so long that they forget what it's like for someone who's never done it. I am NOT a builder, but I have friends who "tried" to build ARs from parts. I wrote "tried" because one of them had never been able to finish theirs off. The other did, and I've shot it: it's nice! It took several evenings to figure out all the springs, pins, holes, etc. I'd say the one who finished his did it in about 10 hours.

I greatly respect folks who can build firearms and do not consider what they do "easy." For me, buying is the only option.
I agree, building your own AR is not "easy". I have done quite a few and learned through books and practice. Videos are helpful also.

One thing not listed previously as things required is a strong set of hands and fingers.

It is easier to start with a 100% finished stripped lower. If you are going the 80% route it is very likely the holes are not going to be perfectly aligned which can make installing the pins a challenge. And milling an 80% lower is NOT easy, The first one you do will probably not come out very well, but after you have done a few they come out better.

Are you and your co-workers ... law enforcement? If so, Oh My God Please take a class.

AR15s aren't hard. Buy a stripped lower, lower parts kit, aka 'LPK' which will have all the pins, springs, etc., and stock kit w/ buffer, tube, etc. LPK will come with a standard trigger. Look into replacing it immediately with a Geissele (pronounced guys-lee so you look smart at the store) or similar quality trigger. While you're at the store get a few extra of the common pins and springs for when that tiny thing goes boing under and behind the workbench.

Watch youtube videos, and build up your lower. It's an easy one evening project.

Then for your first, buy a complete upper with bolt carrier group. Add an optic and you're good to go. complete upper using the manufacturer's BCG gives some assurance they'll work well together.

There are a million websites with information, comparisons, etc. Look for "buyer's guide" magazines on your newsrack. As much as you'll get great opinions here, spend some time researching on your own to decide what'll work best for you and your wants & needs. After a while you won't have to decide what to buy. What you'll get will be a foregone conclusion because everything else is wrong.

Both *my* ARs are chambered in .223 Wylde. 1st is 20" target AR with 3-12 scope and a bipod. PRS stock. Heavy tube handguard with no attachment points. Started with a group buy stripped lower, and put a Rock River Predator Pursuit upper on it.

Second is 14.5" (plus muzzle device = 16.1") carbine set up with a red dot and backup iron sights, flashlight, and a sling. It's a true frankenrifle, with no two parts from the same manufacturer. Upper, lower, LPK, trigger, barrel, handguard, handgrip, muzzle device, stock, optic, and light are ALL from different companies. It's quite personalized to me.

Both insanely accurate and perfect for what *I* wanted. both run like a top and neither have ever failed to go bang when the trigger is pulled. I have two stripped lowers for future use. Oh, and a .308 AR too.
I suggest skip the 14.5” barrel

You must not be very mechanically inclined, not to be rude….many aren’t.

If you can rebuild a 2stroke, like every red blooded non-fag American should be able to do, this should be a cake walk.
Actually, I'm quite handy. We took our time, had fun, and tried not to lose or break anything.

And that was quite rude.

Start out slowly, like try changing a tire on your car.

Budget? Who needs a budget? My last build was a $199 Durkin Tactical kit. $29 Anderson Lower, and a $6 pinty! Under $240! Only have about 300 rnds thru it, but runs fine. Wylde chamber. durk.jpg

Just be careful to do things in the correct order. Beers before work result in bikes with barrels and rifles with pedals.

You probably don't want to know the things I've done while drinking bourbon.

Driving/Riding is NOT included in that list. Gave that combination up 20plus years ago.

But milling? loading? assembling firearms?
Budget? Who needs a budget? My last build was a $199 Durkin Tactical kit. $29 Anderson Lower, and a $6 pinty! Under $240! Only have about 300 rnds thru it, but runs fine. Wylde chamber.View attachment 746384
”pinty”?? That looks a lot like an AMD

I would like to get an M4 aka AR but have not bought one in a very long time. I see the prices go from okay to WTF. Can anyone recommend a reliable one/site ect that won't require me to re-mortgage my home? I don't think I can build one like I hear a lot of folks talk about, i prefer to just buy it together.
Take a look at Windham Weaponry in Maine. This is the former Bushmaster facility staffed by the folks who made Bushmasters when they were solid. You will have a well running AR for a decent price as well as strong warranty support.

I like Aero stuff as well as far as reasonable cost AR's go, but Aero will not sell directly to MA so I don't know what kind of warranty support would be available.

Most Anderson AM15's are available for under $600. Radical is another lower end maker but I have had very good service from a couple of their uppers, including a .458 socom upper with thousands of rounds through it.

Rather than worry about the pin and weld stuff, I suggest simply buying an AR with a plain muzzle. You really don't need a brake for 5.56 / .223.

Torquing down the barrel?
No….. I will add it’s not exactly easy and I don’t recommend it but yeah, you can torque AR 15 barrel without a vice
My first AR barrel went on with a cheap strap wrench and a pos UTG barrel nut adapter . I probably could have stripped out the utg pos . I got to 60ftlbs plenty tight enough.

Nice grip and trigger guard, you poor!!
I don't have sausage fingers, and the quad rail makes anything you or your boyfriend own look pathetic! Shit yeah, show me a better sub $250 build that kicks ass on prissy DD store boughts the "operators" get wet over. :p:p:p:p:p:p:p

Take a look at Windham Weaponry in Maine. This is the former Bushmaster facility staffed by the folks who made Bushmasters when they were solid. You will have a well running AR for a decent price as well as strong warranty support.

I like Aero stuff as well as far as reasonable cost AR's go, but Aero will not sell directly to MA so I don't know what kind of warranty support would be available.

Most Anderson AM15's are available for under $600. Radical is another lower end maker but I have had very good service from a couple of their uppers, including a .458 socom upper with thousands of rounds through it.

Rather than worry about the pin and weld stuff, I suggest simply buying an AR with a plain muzzle. You really don't need a brake for 5.56 / .223.

How does WW stack up to Colt, BCM?

I agree, building your own AR is not "easy". I have done quite a few and learned through books and practice. Videos are helpful also.

One thing not listed previously as things required is a strong set of hands and fingers.

It is easier to start with a 100% finished stripped lower. If you are going the 80% route it is very likely the holes are not going to be perfectly aligned which can make installing the pins a challenge. And milling an 80% lower is NOT easy, The first one you do will probably not come out very well, but after you have done a few they come out better.
I will say it comes down to your mechanical amplitude right from the get go.
I have been tearing shit apart and putting shit together since my first pedal bike.
Hated those dumb ass reflectors and fenders. Dad said heres some tools figure it out. I was 6, thanks dad.

Back on track: if you can read you can put together a AR with minimal tools.
The lower can be put together with a screw driver , some home made punches ——i actually used a blunted large nail because I did not have a small punch handy. To anxious to wait till monday to get tools from work.

The upper is straight forward and only need the barrel nut tool a torque wrench if you want to get technical.

Today there are so many videos and how to’s even compared to just 10 years ago. There is no excuse why You cant get one together.

Even the 80% kits and the jigs you can get are pretty straight forward and I will say failure was probably due to lack of following instructions.

My friends son is about as mechanical as silly putty and first run was a AR 10 80% kit zero issues.
Only thing he really had a battle with is front take down detent. He kept launching it. Lol.
Sure There are plenty of tools you can buy or fabricate to make life easy . Clevis pin for front take down pin is one.
If you plan to crank out a few tools make it easy.
Vise blocks, v blocks, assorted small punches, spanner wrenches , torque wrenches , vise.

Have fun take your time . Many here have assembled ARs from every level of kits out there.
I have done low budget builds to higher end builds. Everyone saved me money and I would not have what I do if it where not for the savings.

How does WW stack up to Colt, BCM?
Colt sucks balls. BCM is solid, as is Windham.

No conservative American should be entertaining a purchase of a colt anything. These are the folks that dont want you to own firearms….went out of their way to ensure you couldn’t put a DIAS in your AR. FAGs!!

Change my mind.

Actually, I'm quite handy. We took our time, had fun, and tried not to lose or break anything.

And that was quite rude.
I agree I don’t find many things as fun as assembling an AR.
Well I am quite rude, thank you very much!
Typical miserable electrician! I hate you. Because deep down we are the same.

Back
Top Bottom