• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

A Gutsy Brit

Garys

NES Member
http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/gshandguns/index.html

My name is Graham Showell, I'm 32 and from the West Midlands, England.
Having been a victim of violent crime on a number of occasions, including 2 attacks at knifepoint, I feel something needs to be done to reduce crime and protect people in this country.

I'm asking the government to allow law abiding citizens to carry concealed handguns, something which has greatly reduced crime in the United States.

I doubt this will go anywhere, but he certainly has some guts to at least bring the idea up. It will be interesting to see how many British he gets to sign it.

Well, not all British citizens are willfully-ignorant. :)

Quite right. Trouble is the British establishment has ever so slowly eroded the rights of the British people to own firearms legally. I remember the hoops I had to jump through to get a shotgun licence in Buckinghamshire thirty years ago. Hungerford incident really pushed the government, at the urging of the police, to totally curb gun ownership. I think they have even outlawed deactivated firearms...It's about time the Brits woke up and realised they are living in a dream world.

Worth stating his stats here:

England Murder Rate
1987 - 1.19 per 100,000 people.
2002 - 2.03 per 100,000 people.
(70.5 percent increase)

United States Murder Rate
1991 - 9.80 per 100,000 people
2006 - 5.70 per 100,000 people
(41.8 percent decrease )

England Violent Crime Rate
1988 - 410 per 100,000 people
2006 - 1400 per 100,000 people
(241.4 percent increase)

United States Violent Crime Rate
1991 - 758.2 per 100,000 people
2006 - 473.5 per 100,000 people
(37.5 percent decrease)

United States Burglary Rate
1991 - 1335.7 per 100,000 people
2006 - 729.4 per 100,000 people
(45.3 percent decrease)

"These statistics show that when law abiding citizens carry handguns in the US, the crime rate drops significantly. In comparison, England's violent crime rate is 3 times that of the United States, and is increasing every year, Whilst the US violent crime rate continues to drop each year. "

Glad I don't live there anymore...

I would if it didn't require a donation. This is ridiculous, just to give support to a petetion.[thinking]

I didn't know that was required and I agree. I wasn't going to sign this because it's a British issue and they should be the ones signing. I'm going to guess that the money doesn't go to the cause or the person who started the petition, but instead goes to the people who run the site.

None of which detracts from the issue at hand, which I hope gathers some momentum in England. Maybe they can actually elect a government that will stop kowtowing to the Muslim fanatics and restore the right of self defense to the subjects.

I didn't know that was required and I agree. I wasn't going to sign this because it's a British issue and they should be the ones signing. I'm going to guess that the money doesn't go to the cause or the person who started the petition, but instead goes to the people who run the site.

None of which detracts from the issue at hand, which I hope gathers some momentum in England. Maybe they can actually elect a government that will stop kowtowing to the Muslim fanatics and restore the right of self defense to the subjects.

There is no donation required. You can sign the petition and then that's it. The donation of the the petition web site, not his cause. You don't have to donate. I signed and didn pay...that's optional, but web site doesn't make that clear....

There is no donation required. You can sign the petition and then that's it. The donation of the the petition web site, not his cause. You don't have to donate. I signed and didn pay...that's optional, but web site doesn't make that clear....

Thanks. Negative points to the site for not making this clear. Still and all, it's the British people who have to fight this battle. Despite Heller, we still have our own battles to fight to preserve our right of self defense.

Back
Top Bottom