9mm VS a Bear

Status
Not open for further replies.
You guys got it all wrong. Even a .22 is effective enough if you know one simple trick: Wait 'til you're inside the bear before you shoot it.[wink]

Okay, enough of this 9mm talk, THIS is what you really need for a damn bear!

A Pfeifer-Zeliska .600 Nitro Express Magnum

600-gun-5.jpg

YEah that would do it!

I guess if you are of the camp that thinks that bears are big and slow, and make a lot of noise so you know they are coming, and never eat people, go with the 9 mm!

If you think bears travel like ghosts in the woods, run 4 X faster than you, are ALWAYS looking for food and will sometimes chow down on hunter hank, the biggest gun you have is not too big. I personally prefer the .454 with hardcast bullets.

Picked up a can of "frontiersman bear attack deterrent" up at Kittery last weekend, $39.95. It is good to have if you are calling in bears during hunting season, and accidently call in a runt or a mama with some cubs and do not want to shoot.

If I were an anti and camping up in the whites, I would DEFINITELY be packing one of these cans! And, of course, not be sporting any food in the tent and hanging my pack between two trees!

I agree a slow tasty fat freind would be a better option.

Hey, somebody just called me up and asked "How fast can you run the 100?" After I said I wasn't sure I could run 100 yards in a row, they invited me hiking!!!

What should I carry for bear protection????

[wink]

Bacon???

You guys got it all wrong. Even a .22 is effective enough if you know one simple trick: Wait 'til you're inside the bear before you shoot it.[wink]

+1 right on! But always carry a backup knife too, just in case your arm holding the .22 is ripped off before you're eaten! Then you can cut your way out if necessary!

http://www.outdoorplaces.com/Features/Hiking/bear_country3.htm

Words of wisdom:

Black Bear
There are only about thirty documented cases of black bears actively stalking humans for the purpose of killing them for food. The last such case was recorded in the spring of 2000 in Great Smoky Mountains National Park. In almost all these cases these attacks have involved male bears of unusual size. Although black bears average around two-hundred to three-hundred pounds, males have been found that exceed five-hundred pounds in some cases. It is the abnormally large black bears that account for almost all the incidents of hunting humans.
Remain calm. Fall to the ground laying on your stomach. Clasp your hands over your neck and put your arms out so your elbows are on the ground, spread your legs so your feet are apart. This will make it harder for the bear to roll you over and will make it easier to roll back over if it does. If the black bear persists in an attack you should fight back. In cases of black bear attack fighting back and making a lot of noise has caused attacks to break off.

Black Bear or Brown Bear Sow With Cubs

A bear can be a ferocious predator, and a sow with cubs is no exception. Female bears who feel threatened result in most bear attacks. Fortunately most of these encounters do not prove to be fatal. Female bears with sows are only interested in removing the threat and protecting their cubs.

Remain calm and quiet. Fall to the ground laying on your stomach. Clasp your hands over your neck and put your arms out so your elbows are on the ground, spread your legs so your feet are apart. Play dead and do not make a sound, do not fight back. Most sow attacks when cubs are involved are only to frighten away a perceived threat. Fighting back or making noise will only aggravate the bear in most cases. In the case of a female black bear, if playing dead is not working, then you should fight back. In cases of black bear attacks fighting back as a last resort has been very effective. When the attack is over continue to lie still until you are sure the bear is gone. Carefully and slowly get up, and back away from the direction you came. There have been documented cases of multiple attacks by the same bear because the victim got up to soon and/or ran after the attack.

The general consensus in bear attacks is that if you have 6 rounds available. fire 5, leave the last one for yourself

thats a great one save the last round for yourself heh ,if thats the only gun you carry best fill it up with 9mm NATO rounds or find a 9mm fmj that is well over 1200 to 1400 fps you should stop the bear if you empty the clip make sure you have another full clip ready if it dont bleed to death. u dont have to kill it but you might be able to deter it .a 9mm with 2 full clips of NATO rounds will do alot better then spice up the bear with pepper mace.

Good Topic

Hope to go hiking soon up in NH (cannon mt maybe) don't anticipate running into bears, but just in case...

I plan to OC a 9mm. I hear a lot of talk on FMJs, what about HP defense ammo?

Youse guyz aren't listening. HP would be a very bad mistake.

It is, but no one has explained why it's a mistake.

A normal hollowpoint pistol bullet (in defensive calibers, not a hunting specific bullets) is designed for maximum expansion in people. If fired into, say, a bear, they will expand exactly as designed in the fur, fat and muscle, but because of that expansion will not reach anything vital enough to stop the bear quickly.

A FMJ bullet, or hard cast lead, or any other projectile that is not designed for that abrupt expansion has a much better chance of reaching an important enough internal structure to stop B'rer Bear from continuing on his plan of chewing your face off. Brain, heart, CNS - something. I'd rather use a 12ga semi with slugs at that point, but if the pistol is all I've got......

Back a few months ago I encountered a brown bear or at least in the middle of the night he looked brown I started out with a ParaOrd 1445 but have since purchased better protection in a S&W 44Mag.

And just today I found a few boxes of ammo for it at a store we have out here called Big 5, and Longs Drugs and Also found a few boxes of WWB 44Mag at Wally World.

It was 2Am or so and I was a bit excited so take that into account if you read my thread below.

Ive had other experiences where I removed a Mountain Lion from the land but the bear experience was the most interesting thus far for me.
http://northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=53084&highlight=Bear

if it was me taking the trip i would have my .44mag holstered w/ extra rounds in a moonclip ready at all times. or a shotgun slinged across my back.

i guess 9mm is better then having nothing...i wouldnt doubt if it would just ricochet of his skull.

Last edited:
You may feel safer, but statistically, in a full on bear attack, you'd be more likely to be killed than if you had pepper spray...
Could you point me to those statistics you're citing regarding Black bear attacks in New England please?

Respectfully,
jkelly

We're forgetting one very important thing here.

If all you're going to have with you is a handgun while frolicking in bear country, make sure to file the front sight down so it won't hurt so much when the bear shoves it up your ass!

Oh, the explanation is that the bear hide is very thick, and so called vital organs, like the head, are like a block of granite. A hollow point bulllet will not penetrate far enough to do any damage. In fact, you might just be setting up the situation where you are just making the bear very mad at you!

You want a very hard bullet that will penetrate. You want to be aiming at the front shoulder to tumble the bear, the hear/lungs and hope he bleeds out before he eats you, or if he is walking away a spine shot to paralyze him.

You don't need anything larger than a .22, and I've got the pics to prove it

IMG_4014.JPG

So I was out drinking last night with a few friends. The topic of our next camping trip came up and we began discussing bear attacks. But only bears indigenous to the northeast so mainly black bears.
I said that you could kill a bear with a 9mm pistol. My argument was if you could put 3-5 rounds in a 5 inch grouping from 25 yards you could hit the bear either in his eye/face, throat or heart and the bear would either leave or be dead.

The scenario then changed to a charging bear. Everyone said even if you had a 15 round clip and put all 15 into the bear it wouldn't stop it. I couldn't swallow that.
I would assume a 357. would be able to penetrate the bears skull and get his attention. Aside from the S&W Mag 500. which would be ideal. I would only have a 9mm on my person. Because when i go camping next time that's what I will be carrying.
so do you think any certain type of ammo would help, maybe +p+ teflon coated rounds? or would you be better off with bear mace.

Wow, 51 posts and no one has corrected clips or the "teflon penetrator" theory. You all are either getting soft in your old age or slow in your old age. [wink]

BTW: Ochmude's analysis was wht I would agree with the most, although "the 5 and one for yourself" was most entertaining.[laugh]

What ever you shot the bear with make sure you grind off the front site. So when the bear puts the gun up your ass it doesn't hurt too much.

Back a few months ago I encountered a brown bear or at least in the middle of the night he looked brown I started out with a ParaOrd 1445 but have since purchased better protection in a S&W 44Mag.

There aren't any brown bears in CA. There are black bears in CA. Black bears are much smaller than brown bears.

With me since the 9mm wasn't enough and the 44Mag is limited to 6 rounds.

I will Opt for the FAL Pistol chambered in 308 FMJ.

OHH I know there will be some that this this is over kill or that it does not give the bear a fighting chance.

Now the only obstacle is the holster or maybe a shoulder rig that is color coordinated with my night shirt ?

attachment.php

Wow, 51 posts and no one has corrected clips or the "Teflon penetrator" theory. You all are either getting soft in your old age or slow in your old age. [wink]

BTW: Ochmude's analysis was wht I would agree with the most, although "the 5 and one for yourself" was most entertaining.[laugh]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom