• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

9mm VS a Bear

Status
Not open for further replies.
I won't go into the woods with anything less than this, FTW!

th

I have dissected bear from MA that was shot numerous times with a 44 Mag RIFLE. All the rounds Did NOT penetrate the muscle on the bears head! That muscle is thick & dense. I pulled 5 rounds from his head muscle. the bear had a fractured jaw in several places from htis to the jaw. His skull was fracture from impact although the bullet did not reach the skull. Not sure if head shots or jaw shots fractured skuls as fractures were contiguous with jaw. I was totally surprised by this as most would be. The bears estimated at 200 lbs so not the biggest.

As for a 9mm, now you decide?

So I was out drinking last night with a few friends. The topic of our next camping trip came up and we began discussing bear attacks. But only bears indigenous to the northeast so mainly black bears.
I said that you could kill a bear with a 9mm pistol. My argument was if you could put 3-5 rounds in a 5 inch grouping from 25 yards you could hit the bear either in his eye/face, throat or heart and the bear would either leave or be dead.

The scenario then changed to a charging bear. Everyone said even if you had a 15 round mag and put all 15 into the bear it wouldn't stop it. I couldn't swallow that.
I would assume a 357. would be able to penetrate the bears skull and get his attention. Aside from the S&W Mag 500. which would be ideal. I would only have a 9mm on my person. Because when i go camping next time that's what I will be carrying.
so do you think any certain type of ammo would help, maybe +p+ teflon coated rounds? or would you be better off with bear mace.

I would say a 9mm would be ok considering the likelihood of having to use it are very slim. The bear I have encountered while in the woods have always been very timid but a little curious. A 357 would be a good one or the 454. Or the keltec pistol that holds 30 .22 magnums it's like bees one be sting probably wont hurt you but 30 can kill you. I just really want one of those for the back yard and have been looking for any excuse to buy it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom