• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

22lr!!

Which do you think is the most sought after 22lr out there during this ammo meltdown? Is it plinking ammo? target? specialized? What is it?

Mini mags, or CCI stingers are what I seek out for .22’s. If there is a deal on that awful federal freedom bucket I’ll grab that for the bolt action, or Ruger wrangler. But that crud is hit and miss in the .22 upper and isn’t reliable in the 10/22 either.

The most sought after is something that will cycle semi autos. So the high velocity stuff is usually more sought after.

I prefer standard velocity stuff though and stock up because during a meltdown all 22lr gets scarce

Never had a hard time finding 22LR. I just buy a case at a time of CCI standard velocity. When it starts getting down I buy another case.

Really? It wasn’t that long ago that it was impossible to find and it took way longer than center fire stuff to recover and get back on shelves in decent quantities

The "Clean" CCI polymer coated stuff is hard to get and pricey, but it leaves less wax and other crud that you need to clean out.

The "Clean" CCI polymer coated stuff is hard to get and pricey, but it leaves less wax and other crud that you need to clean out.
[rofl]

You sound vaccinated.

That "clean" stuff is the biggest rip off.
If your .22 can't handle at least 500 rounds without cleaning, sell it and buy a real .22.

.22 are the easiest guns to clean.

Take slide off.
Gun scrubber to slide.
Gun scrubber to frame.
Wipe.
CLP.
Boresnake for barrel.
Slap together.
Go shoot again.

5 minutes tops. Maybe 7 minutes if you shoot a Buckmark and need to remove the barrel screw to disassemble.

Isn't all the 10-22 feeding issues cured by polishing the feed ramp in the mag, and failure to extract from the bolt and reciever needing a cleaning and light lube?

Which do you think is the most sought after 22lr out there during this ammo meltdown? Is it plinking ammo? target? specialized? What is it?
The 22lr ammo meltdown is long over bud where have you been? Shelves are full of 22lr anywhere I go and much of it is in the 6 to 7 cents per round zone for the general range fodder.

Isn't all the 10-22 feeding issues cured by polishing the feed ramp in the mag, and failure to extract from the bolt and reciever needing a cleaning and light lube?
Feeding issues with 10/22s? I shoot mine weekly and clean it once a year......and have never cleaned the magazines. Runs like a top.

Feeding issues with 10/22s? I shoot mine weekly and clean it once a year......and have never cleaned the magazines. Runs like a top.

To be fair, the only consistent feeding issues I've seen come from 25 banana mags and 50 round drum mags. The 50 rounders use plastic ramps, but the banana mags from Ruger (from way back) still have the correct metal insert. But on the few times I have seen failure to feed on regular mags, it's always from build-up on the feed ramps built into the magazines. This particular 10/22 was at least 30 years old.... had never been cleaned (best I can tell) and if the 55 gallon drum of collected spent brass is anything to go by.... had seen many thousands of rounds since it's last cleaning.

Those banana mags may just be tired though.

If it's got to be nickle plated try the new Federal Punch .. highest velocity around
Interesting. Someone is trying to compete with CCI Stinger 32gr. Coming in 10fps faster with 29gr. Muzzle energy is a bit lower though at 175 vs 191 for 32gr

Yeah, I was pretty depressed that I had to clean my new 10/22 after only its 3rd range trip. Of course, that 3rd trip was a whole day shooting in a downpour at an Appleseed event. I knew once it got soaked I was going to have to wipe it down and clean it when I got it home.

Never had a hard time finding 22LR. I just buy a case at a time of CCI standard velocity. When it starts getting down I buy another case.
This
I have a bunch of CCI Quiet, CCI Standard Velocity and Federal AutoMatch

The Federal is cheap and available but CCI SV runs everything with more consistency.

CCI Quiet is great for 50 yard plinking in a bolt action since everything fun is illegal in Mass.

Remember the .22 panic during Obama?
I could still find the high end stuff (>$.15/rnd) then just not the affordable stuff (<$0.06/rnd)
At the time I could reload 9mm and 38spl for $0.10 with cast bullets so I wasn't paying 50% more to shoot 22.

I could still find the high end stuff (>$.15/rnd) then just not the affordable stuff (<$0.06/rnd)
At the time I could reload 9mm and 38spl for $0.10 with cast bullets so I wasn't paying 50% more to shoot 22.
Some stuff could be found. A lot of NES members were going up to NH. I remember driving by shooters every weekend on my way to Bear Brook and grabbing 1 brick of Standard velocity. They had a 1 brick limit per customer.

x7.

CCI mini-mags are my favorite.
CCI Standard Velocity when I'm feeling poor.

As above, I remember not being able to find it for a good year, year and a half.
I have "enough" now. [smile]

Back
Top Bottom