semi auto .22LR pistol recommendation

Either RUGER or BUCKMARK.

The only downside about the Buckmark is cleaning, it is a little tougher, but it can easily be cleaned without removing the sight (if you put a dot). I use one every weekend and clean it every weekend.

All other .22 are second class citizens.
Wow you don't have High Standards 😀

IMG_20161013_092404877.jpg

Get the one that fits your hands and runs reliably. SR22's are for child hands,..

Y’all have baby hands or something? 😂
The SR22 is tiny
It's a cute little plastic toy gun for children. My nephews love to pretend shoot mine. [thumbsup]

As for the Sig Mosquito, the later ones (shipped with 2 springs for your preferred ammo) are fine, but the lingering reputation (remember when Carl started refusing to sell them or even put them on consignment?) will live on forever... hence the new Sig P322.

The nicest thing about the latter version Mosquitos over the SR22 was that it was a full-size pistol for full-size adult hands. [cheers]

AM looking for one. I've read reviews all over the internet and you know they are up and down. I've had a Ruger MKIV, and it was great but I'm looking for one like the Walthers, the Taurus TX22, Sig 322.
The Sig 322 would be my first choice over the Taurus since I have 9mm Sigs. But one review I read said it was very ammo fussy. The Taurus, I talked with one guy at my club who had a TX22 and he said it was reliable. I like that it has a 16 rd mag and comes with 2. I don't know anything else about any of the others so that is where I need some hands on reviews from owners. Thanks
I bought the Sig 322 a few months ago, so far, I have about 6 to 7 hundred rounds of all types of ammo through it, including the really cheap stuff, and so far, no problems at all. I once owned A Sig Mosquito, which only worked with CCI Mini Mags. I also owned a Ruger SR-22, that pistol was like a toy. It worked fine with most ammo, but every time I fired it I was picking up pieces of the pistol. front sight, slide stop, and the rear sights would not stay zeroed, so I has to adjust them every time I fired the pistol. I also had the Walther P-22, the same deal built like a toy. The only difference between the Walther and Ruger is at least the Ruger SR-22 worked, that's more than I could say for the Walther P-22. And many years ago, I owned the ISSC Glock look-alike pistol. That pistol was so bad that it made the Sig Mosquito and Walther P-22 look good. Next to my AMT backup in .380, that was my most unreliable pistol.

I bought the Sig 322 a few months ago, so far, I have about 6 to 7 hundred rounds of all types of ammo through it, including the really cheap stuff, and so far, no problems at all. I once owned A Sig Mosquito, which only worked with CCI Mini Mags. I also owned a Ruger SR-22, that pistol was like a toy. It worked fine with most ammo, but every time I fired it I was picking up pieces of the pistol. front sight, slide stop, and the rear sights would not stay zeroed, so I has to adjust them every time I fired the pistol. I also had the Walther P-22, the same deal built like a toy. The only difference between the Walther and Ruger is at least the Ruger SR-22 worked, that's more than I could say for the Walther P-22. And many years ago, I owned the ISSC Glock look-alike pistol. That pistol was so bad that it made the Sig Mosquito and Walther P-22 look good. Next to my AMT backup in .380, that was my most unreliable pistol.
Main reason for not buying the Sig is the extra $125. I can buy a lot of 22's with that. Secondly, the Taurus guide rod and barrel come out of the gun just like a 9MM would. Very easy to take down and clean, the sig barrel is fixed unless you take the pin out.

Main reason for not buying the Sig is the extra $125. I can buy a lot of 22's with that. Secondly, the Taurus guide rod and barrel come out of the gun just like a 9MM would. Very easy to take down and clean, the sig barrel is fixed unless you take the pin out.
what was your beef with a mark iv, if you indeed have it? as it is way better than anything else listed above.

The FN 502 is a pretty nice little piece of equipment.

The Ruger SR-22 is really hit or miss. Mine is a piece of shit, and the only gun I somewhat regret buying. On the other hand, I've shot ones that are pretty decent.
Ruger has the best warranty in the business. All you have to do is send it back. If it keeps giving you problems they replace it. I sent mine out... still had some issues and they gave me a brand new gun. No questions asked. Has over 10,000 through her.

We have 2 Buckmark Target versions.
I used to shoot a HiStd with upgrades in Bullseye matches, my wife shot a Buckmark target with a red dot.
Utterly reliable, accurate, never had a problem
When we got out of Bullseye shooting, I sold the HiStd and got a Target version and put a 2X Leupold on it just for fun.
Never had any issues with either of them.

I really wonder what part of I don't want a target
what was your beef with a mark iv, if you indeed have it? as it is way better than anything else listed above.
It was accurate as hell, I was beating people with red dots and I didn't use one at our 22 shoots. The only thing I didn't like was the charging handle.
Figure I sell everything there since they were Mass compliant and buy whatever I want up here with no mag restrictions. Starting over.

I really wonder what part of I don't want a target

It was accurate as hell, I was beating people with red dots and I didn't use one at our 22 shoots. The only thing I didn't like was the charging handle.
Figure I sell everything there since they were Mass compliant and buy whatever I want up here with no mag restrictions. Starting over.
It will be difficult to beat old mark iv or 22/45. Latter does not even feel a target pistol, really.

Ruger has the best warranty in the business. All you have to do is send it back. If it keeps giving you problems they replace it. I sent mine out... still had some issues and they gave me a brand new gun. No questions asked. Has over 10,000 through her.
Do they clean it if I send it back?

I don't want to clean mine, but I would definitely make up a BS problem to send it back and have them clean it.

Do they clean it if I send it back?

I don't want to clean mine, but I would definitely make up a BS problem to send it back and have them clean it.
Only one way to find out. Let me know how you make out. Ill gladly send back my
mk III

Try FN502, superior in every way for both target and tactical applications. Much better than recent p322. looks and feels like FN 509. TAC but shoots like a Pardini with comfortable ergonomics. In tactical speed drills I was getting 1 inch groups at 10 yards, while my buddy shooting a p322 with a red dot ending up with 12-inch groups. It is hammer fired and a bit heavier than p322. I never cleaned it and been putting everything through it. So far no malfunctions for the first 500 rounds. Another thing, trigger is amazing, like a 1911. Youtube reviews spoke highly of it but I was skeptical. Having shot most target and tactical 22lr models in the market, I can tell you the FN 502 is the best gun out there bar none. do yourself a favor and stop with others you be upgrading in an attempt to make them perfect. At low $500s this is already perfect. I have no relation to FN. Just an extremely satisfied users. Lastly, it fit most of my G19 and of course FN509 holsters.

Another one for the SR-22. I love a DA/SA .22 semi auto, any ignition failure just pull the trigger again and most of the time it will go off.

Were I to get a striker fired .22 the Taurus would be high on the list for a more modern one, the Kel Tec CP33 is on the large size, but a great competition piece, and the Ruger Mark and S&W Victory are accurate plinkers and the only ones you can get with the 7 inch long barrels.

Now that GSG is directly imporing the Firefly (fka SGS Mosquito), is it still junk or have most of the problems been (or can be) fixed? The Ruger Mk IV will most likely become my primary range gun; we used it in our LTC classes, but I want an easier to use semi for my wife, and this seems to fit the bill.

I picked up a Sig Mosquito when they first came out (as a plinker for the wife).

First range trip = JAMMO-MATIC Palooza

I guess that this was not uncommon when they first came out (from the many reports that I had read).

I sent it back to Sig. They couldn't fix it (that particular pistol), so they sent me back an entirely different & new Mosquito, upgraded with a stainless slide.

The new one works and we still have it (with a Gemtech threaded barrel for it, and a 22LR suppressor).

The issues were really with the newer ones when they first came out. Sig deduced the issue and corrected them in later models. That being said, all 22LR semi-autos can be picky eaters, so we stick to CCI copper mini-mags with all of our 22LR semi auto rifles and pistols.
So is the verdict that the modern GSG Firefly is a better choice than the Mosquito. Most of the complaints seem to be with SIG, not GSG. And many of the problems seem to be "fixable" with some tweaking of the parts and ammo choices.

So is the verdict that the modern GSG Firefly is a better choice than the Mosquito. Most of the complaints seem to be with SIG, not GSG. And many of the problems seem to be "fixable" with some tweaking of the parts and ammo choices.
They were never made by Sig. I’m not sure but I don’t think anything has changed but the name. I’d steer clear with all the other models that have come out.

Try FN502, superior in every way for both target and tactical applications. Much better than recent p322. looks and feels like FN 509. TAC but shoots like a Pardini with comfortable ergonomics. In tactical speed drills I was getting 1 inch groups at 10 yards, while my buddy shooting a p322 with a red dot ending up with 12-inch groups. It is hammer fired and a bit heavier than p322. I never cleaned it and been putting everything through it. So far no malfunctions for the first 500 rounds. Another thing, trigger is amazing, like a 1911. Youtube reviews spoke highly of it but I was skeptical. Having shot most target and tactical 22lr models in the market, I can tell you the FN 502 is the best gun out there bar none. do yourself a favor and stop with others you be upgrading in an attempt to make them perfect. At low $500s this is already perfect. I have no relation to FN. Just an extremely satisfied users. Lastly, it fit most of my G19 and of course FN509 holsters.

I've played a little with a friend's and I found it just as nice as you say. I would absolutely pick one up if one crossed my path.

Now that GSG is directly importing the Firefly (aka SIG Mosquito), is it still junk or have most of the problems been (or can be) fixed?

You are a brave man to be going against the NES collective (highly negative) opinion on this. :oops: I applaud your courage in even considering the idea. [thumbsup]

Just know that the SIG Mosquito (and likely the GSG Firefly) are really only happy with CCI Mini-Mags. Cheap bulk anything else and you probably won't be too happy.

Back
Top Bottom