• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

22lr bolt action rifle

Tikka or CZ look like nice bolt actions, and of course, Ruger.

You could go another direction, and find some Sears JC Higgins in a used barrel somewhere, and do a restoration job. Those things shoot great.

Edit: Those Springfield Armory ones look nice too. Did not go into deep reading, just the picture on the website. Key words: "look nice"

Does a 20” barrel matter for 22LR? The Springfields are all 20”.

I was just going to get a 16”.
a lot of deliberations about that, as i get it - consensus is that any inches above 16" do not add to accuracy but only slow down the bullet. in most production rifles you do not have a ton of choice, i think, unless you do a custom voodoo build or similar. my varmint mtr is 20". no issues there.

but, again, how many of 22lr shooters use it for longer than 100yds distances? or even 50yds?

a lot of deliberations about that, as i get it - consensus is that any inches above 16" do not add to accuracy but only slow down the bullet. in most production rifles you do not have a ton of choice, i think, unless you do a custom voodoo build or similar. my varmint mtr is 20". no issues there.

Thanks, the Tikka comes in 16 or 20”.

Does a 20” barrel matter for 22LR? …

Nope. Just get a 16”. I’d argue 11/12” is a more optimal length, but NFA and all.

Velocity stays virtually the same from ~11” to 16”.

You might gain 30fps with supers, going with a 20” barrel. Finding an ammo your barrel likes is much more important for rimfire.

Last edited:

but, again, how many of 22lr shooters use it for longer than 100yds distances? or even 50yds?

Even shooting out to 200/300 yards, any potential tiny amount of extra velocity is nearly pointless. You’re still going to go with subsonic ammunition so the bullets don’t destabilize while going transonic at 25-50 yards.

I have a Browning BL-22 Grade2 , Ruger American Stainless with wood stock talo edition or something, and a Browning T bolt Belgian.....all fine rifles.

Had a Savage bolt 17hmr assume .22 would also be as good.

If I had to just go buy one quick....CZ457...there are tons of them available and they are fine rifles.

My only bolt .22 at this point is a '77 (ish) Glenfield 25 with the microgroove barrel. It's the first gun I've ever shot when i was 5. I have a few semi autos including an old model 60 and a newer 597 with a heavy barrel. I've thought about the CZs a but not happening unless I have a 77/22 first. One day
I have one of those that I bought in 1974...I still have it and after 100's of 1000's of rounds down the pipe, it still hits where it's pointed...very well. I loaned it to my brother some years back and he lost both of the mags it came with (they are devilishly hard to find :confused:) so it became a single shot .22 but I just won a mag here on a karma so when that comes in, I'll be able to shoot it like it was designed to be shot. [mg]

The interesting thing about the Bergara B14R is that it is designed as a trainer for their center fire rifles. It has the same chassis foot print as their full-sized short-action rifles and even uses an AICS dimension mag. I've long considered getting the barreled action and then putting it in the same model chassis as I have on my Berger 6.5 CM.

I have one of those that I bought in 1974...I still have it and after 100's of 1000's of rounds down the pipe, it still hits where it's pointed...very well. I loaned it to my brother some years back and he lost both of the mags it came with (they are devilishly hard to find :confused:) so it became a single shot .22 but I just won a mag here on a karma so when that comes in, I'll be able to shoot it like it was designed to be shot. [mg]
Not difficult to find. I have the original mag but ordered 2 more off of ebay.

I got Cathy her Christmas present. She came with me to make sure it was what she wanted. It was between the cz varmint and the bergera bmr. In the end the light weight carbon barreled bergera one. Beautiful gun. Excellent trigger. And I know their barrels are top notch.
It will be a great lightweight mountain gun when paired with my vx3i.

20231116_144910.jpg

One weird thing about the bergara. Has a 30 moa rail. Is that going to be an issue if I zero it at 50 yards?
it is a benefit, not an issue. it does not affect zero. only makes it simpler to have scope working longer.
i think i have 30moa on my cz right now as well, and it is zeroed to 50.

i recommend to zero it at 50, clock the speed, get data for the load/bullet into strelok pro, get a proper dope for 100 and then go to 100 and zero it there to that dope, if it makes sense.
like mine is supposed to be 1.8 mrad at 100 for the SK long range rifle, and i made sure it is set to 1.8 at 100 - as initially it was more like 1.6 after 50 zero.

after that it is still perfect at 50, but will also be very good at 100 and 200, 300 using the same table.

it is a benefit, not an issue. it does not affect zero. only makes it simpler to have scope working longer.
i think i have 30moa on my cz right now as well, and it is zeroed to 50.

i recommend to zero it at 50, clock the speed, get data for the load/bullet into strelok pro, get a proper dope for 100 and then go to 100 and zero it there to that dope, if it makes sense.
like mine is supposed to be 1.8 mrad at 100 for the SK long range rifle, and i made sure it is set to 1.8 at 100 - as initially it was more like 1.6 after 50 zero.

after that it is still perfect at 50, but will also be very good at 100 and 200, 300 using the same table.
I actually understood what you wrote!

I actually understood what you wrote!
the torture of great quality 22lr rifle is that you no longer will tolerate mainstream .22lr ammo.

i settled now on 2 brands - the SK long range rifle for real deal and norma tac-22 for plinking.

the torture of great quality 22lr rifle is that you no longer will tolerate mainstream .22lr ammo.

i settled now on 2 brands - the SK long range rifle for real deal and norma tac-22 for plinking.
Makes that much difference? Even at shorter distances? I have been shooting the aguila ammo forever because it's cheap. I bet I have 30K rounds sitting around. But in my defense I have a 22 revolver, Mark III, M&P sport, Henry silver eagle, and now a Bergara. We like 22s.😁 just good inexpensive fun.

Makes that much difference? Even at shorter distances? I have been shooting the aguila ammo forever because it's cheap. I bet I have 30K rounds sitting around. But in my defense I have a 22 revolver, Mark III, M&P sport, Henry silver eagle, and now a Bergara. We like 22s.😁 just good inexpensive fun.

you will want to get the most out of the barrel your gun got.
below is 15 shots - 3 magazines of sk long rifle, at 100 yds. me likey.
in the end i got sloppy pullin the trigger, but most went through the same center section.

1700179175877.png
and that was norma tac22
1700179457234.png

and to compare - i think this was aguila, not sure. i had a bunch of them, and settled on those 2 i wrote about.

1700179523351.png

Back
Top Bottom