• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

22lr bolt action rifle

I can’t say anything bad about the 457 Varmint. The one I picked up for my son is a tack driver.

But that Annie is sweet.

cz 457 is very difficult to beat $ to performance wise. all is up to your budget, really.
tikka t1x, bergara b14r - i think both will fit into a proper standard rem700 chassis, while cz needs its own non-stadnard chassis, may also be a factor.
all 3 will be very precise, not a voodoo level, but plenty good.

cz 457 is very difficult to beat $ to performance wise. all is up to your budget, really.
tikka t1x, bergara b14r - i think both will fit into a proper standard rem700 chassis, while cz needs its own non-stadnard chassis, may also be a factor.
all 3 will be very precise, not a voodoo level, but plenty good.

Tikka won’t fit in R700 footprint. It has its own inlet

I had a T1x and to me it wasn’t as nice as the CZ

I was on a waiting list for a LH Bergara B14r steel, but got tired of waiting and went with a Vudoo.

The benefit of the Bergara is great after market R700 triggers and any R700 Chassis.

The benefit of the CZ is easy to change barrels and very cheap spring replacement to get a nice trigger.

I don’t think you can go wrong with either the CZ or the Bergara

I’ve shot both the CZ and Tikka T1x and would recommend the Tikka. It has a smoother action and was more accurate in my experience. It was also more versatile without the heavy varmint barrel.

My 308 is a tikka t3x lite. The action on it is spectacular.
i would say if you want multiple rifles - it may make more sense to stay in the same brand. not necessarily, but, well. you will have at least some parts compatibility.

I’ve shot both the CZ and Tikka T1x and would recommend the Tikka. It has a smoother action and was more accurate in my experience. It was also more versatile without the heavy varmint barrel.

I had the exact opposite. But if you search and read every online review of these rifles you’ll find half that side with the Tikka and half side with the CZ

I would base my selection on what magazine it takes - anything that takes a 77/22-10/22 magazine, which also means it will take the Ruger 25 round mags which are pretty nice/reliable. I just don't like those metal 5-7 round mags that come with many 22s.

These are "economical" 22s but you cannot beat the triggers or accuracy. The 60 degree bolt throw is nice as well.

These take 10/22 mags as well, I've seen good reviews and not so good reviews, the walnut versions are pretty nice looking IMO.

If I didn't have too many 22s already, I would buy one with the upgraded walnut stock like this:

Or this:

Last edited:
The 457 is so damn good, it is the only thing keeping the CZ rifle division alive. Those idiots can't market, they get rid of all the rifles and they released the 600, which is awesome, with ZERO support.

But the 457, that is a diamond.

Like the 10/22. Without it, Ruger might be nothing today.

I have a couple and like them a lot.
My only bolt .22 at this point is a '77 (ish) Glenfield 25 with the microgroove barrel. It's the first gun I've ever shot when i was 5. I have a few semi autos including an old model 60 and a newer 597 with a heavy barrel. I've thought about the CZs a but not happening unless I have a 77/22 first. One day

There's some nice choices in your local shop.

I'm not familiar with the Bergara BMR, I've got the B14R instead. The B14r is getting a little (okay, a lot) heavy to hunt with, but is very accurate. If the BMR is anywhere near it's heavier brother, it'd be fine.

I picked up a CZ 457 Varmint recently. Also very accurate with what I've tried so far, on the heavy side with that varmint barrel but not B14r heavy, mine had some nicely made but plain figured wood in the stock. It's probably going to end up the squirrel rotation. Bolt is not as smooth as either the Tikka or Bergara was out of the box, but I haven't shot it enough to break in.

The T1x is also excellent, although the shop lists a lefty there's plenty of right hand out there that should be able to make Christmas. I didn't care for the factory stock as it comes, but the pieces that modify the T3X stocks fit the T1X. The grip and fore end panels you could take or leave based on hand size, but the slippery plastic buttplate on the T1x really kind of annoyed me. The T3x rubber buttplate fits fine, but will increase the LOP by about 1/2". Long term, it'll end up in a chassis and can compete with the Bergara for precision rimfire duties. With the factory stock, it'd be my pick to hunt if I didn't have the 457.

Savage.... I have several Mk II Savage rimfires. I haven't checked out their B22s yet, perhaps that fixed some of their issues. The Mk II can be accurate with the right ammo, but none of mine are anywhere near as refined as the Tikka, CZ or Bergara's are. Action can be rough, the MkII magazine kind of sucks, bolt handle short enough that about 10% of the time my thumb will turn the safety on cycling the bolt. These things can be fixed, to some extent; and the Savage's will shoot - with the right ammo. But if you have other choices, I'd go with those. I love Savage, they're in my hometown, I've got a bunch - but they are not in the same class.

Haven't used or seen the current T-Bolt, and mine is from 1967 so I don't know how much has changed. The straight pull bolt is just fun, accuracy is good on the old one. My old one is on par with the Savages for accuracy. If they had a lefty in that maple stock, it would go home with me.

Ruger didn't make lefty 77/22's and hasn't made lefty American Rimfires that I've seen. If they ever go LH, I'm in just because I've been pining for a lefty 77/22 since they came out.

I'm no .22 rimfire rifle expert, but if using it mostly for hunting, I would think you might want it to be on the light side. I've been trying to decide on a new bolt action .22 rifle for a while now and the Christensen arms Ranger looks pretty nice, its light, takes Ruger 10/22 mags and is supposed to be pretty accurate. Before I saw one at my LGS, I was leaning towards a CZ 457, but they did not have any in stock and said they could not order one.

I'm no .22 rimfire rifle expert, but if using it mostly for hunting, I would think you might want it to be on the light side. I've been trying to decide on a new bolt action .22 rifle for a while now and the Christensen arms Ranger looks pretty nice, its light, takes Ruger 10/22 mags and is supposed to be pretty accurate. Before I saw one at my LGS, I was leaning towards a CZ 457, but they did not have any in stock and said they could not order one.
I have a Henry 22lr lever with an octagon barrel. It's not light. But man it's steady in the hand. I struggle with very light rifles.

Nice that the Ranger utilize a Remington 700 type trigger and that it is a Trigger Tech that comes with it, plus it utilizes 10/22 mags, which is my preference:

Your shop has a Savage BSEV in .22. I have one in .17HMR. It's a bit heavy with everything on it but it's very accurate, so much so it's boring. I built it up as a stationary shooter so no real issues with carrying the weight over distances. No problem to make pretty much one ragged hole in the center cherry at 100. The Accu-trigger is fantastic. Mine has a BDC scope on it and a Harris swivel pod with a lock lever. The mags are typical Savage, feel cheap but they work. The only grouse I have like many other offerings, including your primary selection, is there are no iron sights. I always feel better having them as a just in case. As it is, mine is regulated to the safe. I've no reason to break it out unless I want/need that type of small bullet accuracy. Like I said it's boring as it's so easy to make a precision shot but I guess that's what you're looking for.

SavageBSEVimage.jpg

Wife wants one for Christmas. To be used for hunting grouse, squirrels, prairie dogs and for plinking steel at 100 yards.

This shop is near me. Please help spend my money. Which one would you go for? CZ 457 varmint is on the top of my list.

Savage Mark II is my favorite .22LR bolt action. Heavy barrel. No iron sights. My wife uses it as well. Accutrigger can be fully adjusted. Mount a fixed 4X scope, dial it in and enjoy!

Back
Top Bottom