• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

22LR ammo has never been cheaper than now

.22 rimfire cartridges have been used to kill the biggest land animals on the planet, from elephants (according to Peter Hathaway Capstick, in Safari, the Last Adventure, p.114 to 116) to grizzly bears.

so I guess I can throw away my 9mm for bear protection

yup

.22 rimfire cartridges have been used to kill the biggest land animals on the planet, from elephants (according to Peter Hathaway Capstick, in Safari, the Last Adventure, p.114 to 116) to grizzly bears.

Yup. All you need is this;
1696442424255.png

WR bear was also taken with a 22lr by some lady with a Rossi gallery or some shit she shot 8? Rounds into the temple

Edit; just realized someone posted it already

I remember sometime near the end of Obama, after the Green Tip Scare, Cabela's in Scarborough was selling 22 LR at 4-1/2 ¢ per Round. They were 2,500 rounds of Federal in a 30 Cal Ammo Can which was included. I remember a few years earlier some guy @ Wilmington gladly paying 22 ¢ per Round. You can't reload rimfire, it's the most versatile round. I asked if there was a limit and they said nope. I filled two shopping carts.

Except their chart show 95-2002 the prices were cheaper. [rofl] [rofl]

There is no way, even on an inflation adjusted basis that Remmy X-Spurt at $4.95 for 550 is going to adjust to today's prices. It adjusts to $8.68 from Jan of 2001. Can you buy 550 rds of crappy .22 for $9????

I will say that 6c a round isn't terrible. But that's still $33 for the same box of crappy ammo.

CCI Std Vel and others are actually reasonable in comparison these days. I wanna say they were 2x or 3x versus bulk back 20+ years ago.

Back in the day I’d go to k-mart in Milford MA, buy a CCI “ammo can”. 650 rounds in a plastic “can” (I still have one from back then, empty now) for I think $12-15 ea. then head up to chicken shit quarry off 85 almost every Sunday for a year or two, iirc.

Anyone who is into guns should keep lots of .22LR on hand, even if they don't have a .22.....there will always be someone who will buy it.
I usually hit sales on CCI mini mags and stingers whenever they appear and grab some.

1/3rd of my collection is chambered in .22LR

Except their chart show 95-2002 the prices were cheaper. [rofl] [rofl]

There is no way, even on an inflation adjusted basis that Remmy X-Spurt at $4.95 for 550 is going to adjust to today's prices. It adjusts to $8.68 from Jan of 2001. Can you buy 550 rds of crappy .22 for $9????

I will say that 6c a round isn't terrible. But that's still $33 for the same box of crappy ammo.

CCI Std Vel and others are actually reasonable in comparison these days. I wanna say they were 2x or 3x versus bulk back 20+ years ago.
They used "unskilled labor cost" as a baseline - WTF is that? minimum wage?
If it is minimum wage then the current cost of 22 may be artificially depressed by the horrendous decision to crank minimum wage to $15/hr

Sure if you’re a 5 ft tall Native American sniper or Chuck Norris.
just need to be very very calm and lucky, as bear will not remain stationary after a first hit. still, good info:

"
For those curious about how to place that shot on a live bear, the place to aim is half way on a line from the center of the eye to the ear hole.
From the front, you would aim directly up the nose. If the bear’s mouth is open, aim for the back of the roof of the mouth. Aiming above the nose will likely miss the brain.
"

When I was a young buck in the mid 70's, I could buy a brick of 500 rounds for $5. A box of 50 was 50 cents...a penny a round.
Adjusting for inflation, that is equal to about $28.53 in today's dollars.

right in the ballpark

Adjusting for inflation, that is equal to about $28.53 in today's dollars.

So riddle me this? Why did I have no problems affording these bricks back then when I was making $3.45 an hour yet before I retired two years ago, I was making over 15x that and I couldn't bring myself to pay that $30 per brick? There seems to be something wrong somewhere with the "Adjusted for inflation" formula. I'm not an economist so I have no idea where these numbers come from.

So riddle me this? Why did I have no problems affording these bricks back then when I was making $3.45 an hour yet before I retired two years ago, I was making over 15x that and I couldn't bring myself to pay that $30 per brick? There seems to be something wrong somewhere with the "Adjusted for inflation" formula. I'm not an economist so I have no idea where these numbers com from.
they certainly do f*ck with inflation numbers, but I think that costs have gone up much more than wages.

eta- someone posted historical costs for small toyota/Tacoma pickups. I did the math on the inflation calc and adjusting for inflation, the cost of a small (and now) midsize Toyota is about the same. All of our wages have grown as well just havent kept up with inflation so things arent more expensive, theyre just harder to afford.

It's hard to just generalize, as they are so many different types of .22, and now there are lots of specialty rounds as well. I buy CCI Mini-mags for just under $10/box of 100, or $0.10/rd, whereas during the covid control period they were as much as $17/box, not that I bought them then.

Back
Top Bottom