• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

semi auto .22LR pistol recommendation

AM looking for one. I've read reviews all over the internet and you know they are up and down. I've had a Ruger MKIV, and it was great but I'm looking for one like the Walthers, the Taurus TX22, Sig 322.
The Sig 322 would be my first choice over the Taurus since I have 9mm Sigs. But one review I read said it was very ammo fussy. The Taurus, I talked with one guy at my club who had a TX22 and he said it was reliable. I like that it has a 16 rd mag and comes with 2. I don't know anything else about any of the others so that is where I need some hands on reviews from owners. Thanks

I like the S&W Victory. Lots of hop-up parts available; comes with left and right hand grips and a scope rail; and they’re not expensive. The trigger isn’t as good as a mod. 41, but it’s $900 cheaper. (And still pretty good)

I had read the walther 22 is pretty nice, not sure if anyone can second. Personally I use a Nelson 22 kit in my 1911 and 2011 frames. As long as using copper plated rounds it works very well.

AM looking for one. I've read reviews all over the internet and you know they are up and down. I've had a Ruger MKIV, and it was great but I'm looking for one like the Walthers, the Taurus TX22, Sig 322.
The Sig 322 would be my first choice over the Taurus since I have 9mm Sigs. But one review I read said it was very ammo fussy. The Taurus, I talked with one guy at my club who had a TX22 and he said it was reliable. I like that it has a 16 rd mag and comes with 2. I don't know anything else about any of the others so that is where I need some hands on reviews from owners. Thanks
IMG-2458.jpg

unnamed.jpg

I don't know which version that you had of the Ruger MKIV. The RUGER MKIV LINE: is some of the absolute best .22LR pistols available on the market. If you are absolutely going with one of the (3) you listed. The Taurus is the least ammunition finicky AND it has a very good warranty. But my vote is still to go with a Ruger MKIV variant. Two of mine are pictured above. I love Tandemkross and Volquartsen accessories/mods for .22LR's! Both of my MKIV's are very reliable, and very accurate!

About 6 months ago I was looking for a new. 22 pistol. I have 2 Rugers so wasn't interested in another. I wanted something that would be more along the lines of the typical 9mm carry gun. I considered the G44, FN502 and the Sig p322. All 3 had their share of negative reviews, but after handling all 3, I decided on the P322. Unfortunately after about 1k rounds through it, it has to go back Sig due to light strikes with some ammo, but mostly due to failure to lock back on an empty mag.

I still love the way it feels in my hand and the sights are good and can readily accept a RDS of the Shield footprint and who wouldn't like 20 and 25 round mags. If Sig can fix my issues, I will be very happy.

At the moment it seems the Taurus has the least complaints, but of course, it's still a Taurus 😅. Good luck with whichever one you choose, please post what you get and how it's working for you.

Ruger SR-22

Stay away from the Sig Mosquito. They are a real piece of junk.
I picked up a Sig Mosquito when they first came out (as a plinker for the wife).

First range trip = JAMMO-MATIC Palooza

I guess that this was not uncommon when they first came out (from the many reports that I had read).

I sent it back to Sig. They couldn't fix it (that particular pistol), so they sent me back an entirely different & new Mosquito, upgraded with a stainless slide.

The new one works and we still have it (with a Gemtech threaded barrel for it, and a 22LR suppressor).

The issues were really with the newer ones when they first came out. Sig deduced the issue and corrected them in later models. That being said, all 22LR semi-autos can be picky eaters, so we stick to CCI copper mini-mags with all of our 22LR semi auto rifles and pistols.

Last edited:
The FN 502 is a pretty nice little piece of equipment.

The Ruger SR-22 is really hit or miss. Mine is a piece of shit, and the only gun I somewhat regret buying. On the other hand, I've shot ones that are pretty decent.

Get the one that fits your hands and runs reliably. SR22's are for child hands,..

View attachment 757810
I like my SR-22 well enough. It's been reasonably reliable and makes a good enough teaching aid. I've been getting increasingly unhappy about the grip size, though. I may have to design and print a replacement.

I've been happy with my G44 so far. I've not run it hard yet, but I haven't had any ammo unreliability issues with it. I really wish it came optic-ready - that plastic slide limits your options.

SR-22 is functional but it feels like a cheap toy, very light & not realistic. I use it when I take newbs to the range but that's it. Used to shoot a Mark III which I loved, but was such a pain to put back together (could take it apart fine, could never get it back together but has someone that could do it for me).

When I shoot .22 these days, which isn't often, I use the .22 conversion kit on my 92FS - lots of fun and shoots/cycles great.

Get yourself a Colt Woodsman.
images

The FN 502 is a pretty nice little piece of equipment.

The Ruger SR-22 is really hit or miss. Mine is a piece of shit, and the only gun I somewhat regret buying. On the other hand, I've shot ones that are pretty decent.
I really like the FN 502; but many people have had quite a bit of reliability issues with them.

Either RUGER or BUCKMARK.

The only downside about the Buckmark is cleaning, it is a little tougher, but it can easily be cleaned without removing the sight (if you put a dot). I use one every weekend and clean it every weekend.

All other .22 are second class citizens.

Did anyone mention the SR-22 yet?
🤪
I love mine, as mentioned, shoots just about every kind of 22LR.
Fun plinker.

SR-22s will chew through most 22LR with no problems.

Mine doesn't. As long as you are using HV it is fine. Use SV and it can be picky. For whatever the reason mine doesn't like CCI SV Target or Federal SV Gold Metal Target. It eats CCI Mini Mag, Federal AutoMatch, Winchester HV Copper Plated Hollow Points with no problems.

I have a lot of CCI 40 gr Mini mag and 36 gr Mini mags. Also Aguila 22's 40gr plated, if this helps for the reliability factor

Tried 2 different Sigs at sig academy during the release day. I really liked them but they only gave you cci, which run in anything. I also hear they’re ammo finicky.

Love my tx22 and since it sounds like you’re looking for something similar to your 9mm semi, I think it’s a great choice. No experience with the walther. SR22 is trash 😂

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom