• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

1911 Which one?

I had a Springfield Armory and I shot a friend's Springfield Armory that had been heavily worked on by their custom shop. I wasn't impressed with either. My Springfield was one of their lower end models with a two-piece barrel that wasn't very accurate. I had the barrel replaced. My friend's Springfield had a lot of barrel movement when you pressed down on the barrel hood -- it never should have gotten out of the factory in that condition let alone the custom shop. My 4" Kimber Compact, shot side-by-side, was significantly more accurate than his fullsize Springfield. So I'm 0-2 when it comes to Springfield.

SIG? Those are Series 80. I'm not interested in them.

I've got a Colt Delta Elite. It's a fine 1911, but nothing outrageous.

Wilson Combat makes great guns at very high prices. I've got a heavily used lower grade Wilson. It's a great gun.
Stupid question as I’m not really familiar with 1911’s. I own a Sig 220 and an HK45c, never got interested in 1911’s until recently. What’s the issue with a “series 80”? What are the other options? Saw someone mention series 70?

Carry...idk personally id look elsewhere but if you're hell bent on the 1911 platform

From what I've carried (a bunch of different 1911s), that's the main benefit of the E-series Sc, with the rounded butt: it carries really well.

Last edited:
Stupid question as I’m not really familiar with 1911’s. I own an Sig 220 and an HK45c, never got interested in 1911’s until recently. What’s the issue with a “series 80”? What are the other options? Saw someone mention series 70?
A series 70 style action is the simplest, but is not drop safe. The only thing keeping the firing pin from hitting the primer is the firing pin retaining spring. If you drop a series 70 onto a hard surface muzzle down, the gun stops but the inertia of the firing pin makes the firing pin keep moving forward. If the fall is high enough, the inertia of the firing pin will overcome the strength of the firing pin retaining spring and the gun will discharge. It doesn’t take much of a drop — gunsmith Hilton Yam found it was about 5’. Changing to a lightweight firing pin and an extra strength firing pin spring increases the height required for the gun to discharge. I’ve installed lightweight firing pins and extra strength firing pin springs on my 1911s

The series 70 is easier to get a good trigger job, easier to detail strip and reassemble.

The series 80 style action is drop safe. There is a firing pin safety that prevents the firing pin from moving. When you pull the trigger, a lever on the frame rotates and disengages the firing pin safety. The downsides are it is harder for a gunsmith to tune the trigger really well, and detail stripping and reassembly are a pain.

SIGs and ParaOrdnance are series 80. Most others are series 70.

There is another type of firing pin safety called the Swartz style. Kimber used it for a while and S&W used it for a while (though not on their E-series guns). The Swartz style disables the firing pin block when you depress the grip safety, so it doesn’t negatively affect the trigger pull the way the series 80 does. But from what I’ve read the Swartz style safeties have not been reliable and I would avoid them.

Lower end of reliable and budget friendly is Ruger SR1911. I've had seven of them including a commander sized and a lightweight commander. We still have one of them, it's my wife's gun, she claimed it from me and it never ever jams. I carry a Kimber Aegis Elite, but it literally does the same thing as the Ruger, just cost more. I also loved my Sig Emperor Scorpion and regret selling it, but it literally did the same thing all of my other 1911s did. I had a Sig Fastback Nightmare, excellent 1911. I've owned 1911s from Springfield, Remington, Ruger, Sig, Kimber. Probably over 20 different ones and I only ever had trouble with one Ruger because the previous owner broke the extractor and then sold it. Ruger fixed it no charge. I like my Kimber, but I'd trade it for a Sig Emperor Scorpion if I could, just based on looks. They both work as they should. The Springfield TRP Operator is next level smooth in fit and finish, I'd definitely look into that one also.

I know someone with a TRP for sale for 1800. Dont know if thats a good price or not
No. Used one on another NH site has one for $1250.

Depends what you like for a front grip, as well. I don't like the checkering on the front strap of a 1911, so I've stuck with Rugers or basic Springfields. Since you are in NH, you could check out GunRunners 101, Northeast Munitions in Merrimack or 619 DW Guns.

From what I've carried (a bunch of different 1911s), that's the main benefit of the E-series Sc, with the rounded butt: it carries really well.
Weight more than the butt is my point

Glock 21 is about the same size as a commader... holds more ammo and shoots as soft if not softer

No. Used one on another NH site has one for $1250.

Depends what you like for a front grip, as well. I don't like the checkering on the front strap of a 1911, so I've stuck with Rugers or basic Springfields. Since you are in NH, you could check out GunRunners 101, Northeast Munitions in Merrimack or 619 DW Guns.
I love 619 but unless they've changed models in the last few years

That's probably not the shop for his budget they usually have lower end stuff

Love that shop and have bought a ton of guns there. Just not a place your likely to find a trp or Wilson

I love 619 but unless they've changed models in the last few years

That's probably not the shop for his budget they usually have lower end stuff

Love that shop and have bought a ton of guns there. Just not a place your likely to find a trp or Wilson
yup been to all those places.

I have a Remington R1 enhanced. They don’t get much love around here for some reason, but I think it’s a good shooter for the money. I’ve put a cple thousand rounds through it with no major hiccups. It shoots better than my buddies Kimber at 1/2 the price.

I've been trying to talk myself out of buying the first 9mm 1911 I see. I regret not getting the Ruger Commander-size 9mm 1911 a couple of years back, would have made a very nice carry gun.

Les Baer isn't a great choice and I shot one extensively the last two years. They're non standard frames and not great out of the box. Mine had creep that he calls an extra safety.
I knew about the non-standard frame which isn’t ideal but not a dealbreaker if it runs as advertised but yikes, I’ve heard mixed things about Baers. A lot of people saying they’re tack drivers and run like a clock and others saying the parts are poorly fit, accuracy not up to snuff, unreliable.
I think the Dan Wesson or TRP route is the right move but if you’re willing to drop the cash on a Wilson Combat you find under or around $2500 I’d recommend taking the plunge.
I’ve had, still have and built a lot of 1911’s, Wilsons, Dan Wessons, Colts, Springfields, Ruger, Rock Islands etc; my three Wilson 1911’s (counting my EDC X9 in that mix) are the best handguns I’ve ever shot period.

I knew about the non-standard frame which isn’t ideal but not a dealbreaker if it runs as advertised but yikes, I’ve heard mixed things about Baers. A lot of people saying they’re tack drivers and run like a clock and others saying the parts are poorly fit, accuracy not up to snuff, unreliable.
I think the Dan Wesson or TRP route is the right move but if you’re willing to drop the cash on a Wilson Combat you find under or around $2500 I’d recommend taking the plunge.
I’ve had, still have and built a lot of 1911’s, Wilsons, Dan Wessons, Colts, Springfields, Ruger, Rock Islands etc; my three Wilson 1911’s (counting my EDC X9 in that mix) are the best handguns I’ve ever shot period.
Don't get me wrong, after a quick tune up by Derr Precision it is a great shooter. The trigger was just a bit clunky before. I got mine for a song brand newish and it already had a Baer fiber optic front sight. It has shot around ten thousand rounds without a hitch. But it has ugly tool marks inside and really isn't better than the two DW Pointman I have.

I see youare a dealer. Are you selling any of these?
I sell all kinds of 1911’s , normally have 10-20 in stock at the store and next day delivery on anything I don’t have there

What’s in stock depends on what’s available from the manufacturers , had TRP’s last week but they sold fast

A series 70 style action is the simplest, but is not drop safe. The only thing keeping the firing pin from hitting the primer is the firing pin retaining spring. If you drop a series 70 onto a hard surface muzzle down, the gun stops but the inertia of the firing pin makes the firing pin keep moving forward. If the fall is high enough, the inertia of the firing pin will overcome the strength of the firing pin retaining spring and the gun will discharge. It doesn’t take much of a drop — gunsmith Hilton Yam found it was about 5’. Changing to a lightweight firing pin and an extra strength firing pin spring increases the height required for the gun to discharge. I’ve installed lightweight firing pins and extra strength firing pin springs on my 1911s

The series 70 is easier to get a good trigger job, easier to detail strip and reassemble.

The series 80 style action is drop safe. There is a firing pin safety that prevents the firing pin from moving. When you pull the trigger, a lever on the frame rotates and disengages the firing pin safety. The downsides are it is harder for a gunsmith to tune the trigger really well, and detail stripping and reassembly are a pain.

SIGs and ParaOrdnance are series 80. Most others are series 70.

There is another type of firing pin safety called the Swartz style. Kimber used it for a while and S&W used it for a while (though not on their E-series guns). The Swartz style disables the firing pin block when you depress the grip safety, so it doesn’t negatively affect the trigger pull the way the series 80 does. But from what I’ve read the Swartz style safeties have not been reliable and I would avoid them.
This

Is NES.

Weight more than the butt is my point

Glock 21 is about the same size as a commader... holds more ammo and shoots as soft if not softer
I was surprised years ago when I had a Glock (17 probably) and held it up next to a 1911. They just "seem" bigger. "Block" is a good description. I didn't care for the Gen3 21 (it stung my hand, and left it numb after 50rds), but just tried a Gen4 20 (10mm) and it was definitely "softer". I like 1911's, but after shooting other style pistols I find that the 1911's seem to have some "lag" time in cycling the slide.
ETA: Although they seem different in size by themselves, when I took measurements I was amazed at how close in size they actually are. (grip circumference, height, length).
Well I went to the dealer today to take a second look at a DW they had. They sold it this morning. WTF
Which one, if you don't mind telling us.

Last edited:
I had a Springfield Armory and I shot a friend's Springfield Armory that had been heavily worked on by their custom shop. I wasn't impressed with either. My Springfield was one of their lower end models with a two-piece barrel that wasn't very accurate. I had the barrel replaced. My friend's Springfield had a lot of barrel movement when you pressed down on the barrel hood -- it never should have gotten out of the factory in that condition let alone the custom shop. My 4" Kimber Compact, shot side-by-side, was significantly more accurate than his fullsize Springfield. So I'm 0-2 when it comes to Springfield.

SIG? Those are Series 80. I'm not interested in them.

I've got a Colt Delta Elite. It's a fine 1911, but nothing outrageous.

Wilson Combat makes great guns at very high prices. I've got a heavily used lower grade Wilson. It's a great gun.

Not all SAs are junk. I was shocked at my SA Vtac masterclass.... nice gun for under 1200 bucks. No, it's not at the level of my DW but it's made well and shoots decent.

Now that being said there's some of the stuff on the bottom of their lineup that's dodgy to the point where it's like well why am I going to pay extra for a poverty level SA when I could get a turkotron gun.....🤣

Back
Top Bottom