• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

1911 Which one?

Also consider youre in high end sig and cz territory at $2k. A 226 x5 will shoot just as good as a 1911 but you get double stack 9mm capacity.
I have a sig 229 legion and a cz shadow 2 orange and a beretta 92x professional but looking for a 45 acp. I have a HK mk23 but thats to big to carry I have a can coming for that mk23. cant wait for that.

Magnum Research 1911. AWESOME.

I have let several members here shoot mine, after 500 rounds no cleaning, it is smooth, feels amazing and I haven't done any work to it.

If your budget is up to $2.5K ... I would get a MR 1911 in 45 ACP and one kn 10mm with plenty of money left for ammo. WIN WIN.

Few people around here have a MR so I recommend doing a search online and reading other forums. Keep in mind, most can't figure out how to get a Glock for under $900, so don't expect them to get a MR. Also many people have this false notion that under $1200 is sh*t. For some brands maybe it is sh*t. The MR punches way above its price and their customer service is awesome.
I was in 3-4 places today and everyone had the MR 1911. I dont know about the 10mm just another reloading caliber to get into.

I have a sig 229 legion and a cz shadow 2 orange and a beretta 92x professional but looking for a 45 acp. I have a HK mk23 but thats to big to carry I have a can coming for that mk23. cant wait for that.

Nice. I'm actually jealous of your shadow2 orange.

Ever hear of Greg Derr? If you buy a $1k 1911 and give him $1k you'll have an awesome gun.

I was in 3-4 places today and everyone had the MR 1911. I dont know about the 10mm just another reloading caliber to get into.
If you reload 10mm is a no brainer, specially in your budget, you will have leftover money.

I just noticed you are in NH. (I typed my answer assuming everyone is in MA).

What did people say about the MR?

Nice. I'm actually jealous of your shadow2 orange.

Ever hear of Greg Derr? If you buy a $1k 1911 and give him $1k you'll have an awesome gun.

I love Greg, he has done great work for me, he is a great guy to do business with. So this is not talking sh*t about him.

But I met a guy that used to be a gunsmith and now only does it for his guns and his friends that is better than Greg. I mean, the dude buys a custom $3K gun with an incredible trigger and makes the trigger even better and the slide smoother. I don't know how, but racking those slides is better than sex. Amazing. I will go fap now.

What does he do to a stock gun to make it awesome?

Depends on how much money you have. You could change all the critical-tolerance parts with hand fitted parts. Trigger, barrel bushing, barrel hood, etc. Same with trigger hammer and sear. Some parts are plastic, those can go. You have BIG money to throw?You could convert series 80 to 70. A 70 gun could have a custom optic plate welded on. You could also have a frame shrinking. He welds in the frame rails and slots on the slide and re-cuts them to tighter tolerances. Custom sights, bluing, crazy grips.

Check out his website. And save your money.

$1k will get your plastic MSH, new sights, new trigger/sear/hammer, trigger guard, flared mag well, maybe some money left over for safety recut.

I haven’t been successful getting quotes in that ballpark from him but if you have then great. His pictures are beautiful

For me. There are only 2 main stream OEM and that’s older Colts and Dan Wesson.

If you want to go big dollar then Alchemy Weaponry.

last new 1911 .45 i picked up was a colt xse. i didn't want a rail so dust cover is traditional rounded shape. i feel you gotta have a colt 1911 in the collection. you can pick up a boutique 1911 to impress your pals later. i also have a colt commander but that's really a purpose gun. a friend gifted it to me just before he died. both my colts are very accurate. the xse came from the factory upgraded. the commander, it's how it was out of the box.

a budget 1911 i own, the e series, is a very good entry level 1911.

i have a bunch more, they all handle pretty much the same. throw a dart at your short list and buy it.

Whatever you decide to go with, please post some pics .

Edit - there is a low mileage Wesson in the classifieds. If its not a pile of slop, send out the frame and slide for salt bath nitride to harden it up a bit and give it the proper finish it deserves.

Last edited:
up to 2k-2.5k
CC
Dont need rail
Dont know the last one
Carry...idk personally id look elsewhere but if you're hell bent on the 1911 platform

You're probably going to want the commander sized

Smaller barreled 1911s don't run reliably and carrying a full sized 1911 doesn't seem fun to me but ymmv

Smith and wesson pc's are nice

Kimber makes some nice commanders

Or go to Ed brown/wilson

Back
Top Bottom