• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

1911 Which one?

NH Phantom

NES Member
Looking for a 1911 what is the good , bad and ugly of the following. Also opinion on others not listed. More interested in a full size 45acp
rather than a 10mm or 9mm

Colt Gold Cup Trophy
Dan Wesson Valor
magnum research 1911
A member here has a Wilson combat commander size (I think its commander size) I may not be correct on that
full size Wilson combat
Any other suggestions?

Not mine.

I'd also look at Springfield Armory and Sig.
I had a Springfield Armory and I shot a friend's Springfield Armory that had been heavily worked on by their custom shop. I wasn't impressed with either. My Springfield was one of their lower end models with a two-piece barrel that wasn't very accurate. I had the barrel replaced. My friend's Springfield had a lot of barrel movement when you pressed down on the barrel hood -- it never should have gotten out of the factory in that condition let alone the custom shop. My 4" Kimber Compact, shot side-by-side, was significantly more accurate than his fullsize Springfield. So I'm 0-2 when it comes to Springfield.

SIG? Those are Series 80. I'm not interested in them.

I've got a Colt Delta Elite. It's a fine 1911, but nothing outrageous.

Wilson Combat makes great guns at very high prices. I've got a heavily used lower grade Wilson. It's a great gun.

1911’s are a tough gun to seek a recommendation for. There are just too many options and honestly mostly the same.

If you are looking for a carry piece, a safe queen, etc. prices vary between $600 to $10,000. I’m willing to bet most people (myself included) couldn’t tell the difference between most of them based on how they shoot.

I have a S&W E series and it’s been really good. Haven’t shot it a bunch, but it’s eaten different carry and range ammo without jamming and you can get one for about $900. Good option for CC if that’s you intended purpose.

1911’s are a tough gun to seek a recommendation for. There are just too many options and honestly mostly the same.

This.

But there's a reason so many replies are recommending a Smith E series. They're outstanding guns.

I've owned a lot of 1911s, but my favorites are an E-series roundbutt, a Randall A131, and a Colt LW Officers ACP. But that doesn't mean the OP would like them. At over 2k, you're already twice as high as I've ever paid for an excellent 1911.

Looking for a 1911 what is the good , bad and ugly of the following. Also opinion on others not listed. More interested in a full size 45acp

Colt Gold Cup Trophy
Dan Wesson Valor
magnum research 1911
A member here has a Wilson combat commander size (I think its commander size) I may not be correct on that
full size Wilson combat
Any other suggestions?
Talk to Lou at Business End Customs. He will take care of you; his work is fantastic.

This.

But there's a reason so many replies are recommending a Smith E series. They're outstanding guns.

I've owned a lot of 1911s, but my favorites are an E-series roundbutt, a Randall A131, and a Colt LW Officers ACP. But that doesn't mean the OP would like them. At over 2k, you're already twice as high as I've ever paid for an excellent 1911.
looked at a dan wesson eco today smaller like and officer size think it was around 800 used. looked nice but dont know what they cost new. I just want something that isnt going to jamb up every time I shoot it . I had a colt government back in late 70's and that thinig sucked.

looked at a dan wesson eco today smaller like and officer size think it was around 800 used. looked nice but dont know what they cost new. I just want something that isnt going to jamb up every time I shoot it . I had a colt government back in late 70's and that thinig sucked.

A 1911 is actually a gun I'd prefer to buy used. Any problems would have shown themselves by then.

If you hold it properly, very few 1911s are jam-o-matics. The worst one I owned was an old AO from the mid '90s, which would fail to go into battery maybe 10% of the time. But a whack to the back of the slide would set everything right. I traded it away to a buddy of mine, who got it all slicked up and dead-nuts reliable; he still has it.

I've found that if I do my part, most 1911s will do theirs.

Very happy with my Sig. It's the TTT model which may not be available any more. STX looks similar. The thing is dead nuts reliable with every ammo I've tried in it.

I did replace the slide stop lever with a Wilson Combat piece. the MIM OEM piece didn't properly hold open on the last round. It does with the WC part in place. only issue some have with Sigs is the slide is squared instead of rounded, which may affect compatibility with holsters and such. I have no such problem. IWB holster from Tommy Theiss is molded w/ a Sig squared slide. I also have a Miami Classic shoulder rig that I boned (using a bic lighter) and customized to fit my gun.

Also consider youre in high end sig and cz territory at $2k. A 226 x5 will shoot just as good as a 1911 but you get double stack 9mm capacity.

I have a Colt and I keep it as a safe queen. It’s gone a lot of miles with me and I felt like I should retire the old girl.

A few years ago I got a good deal on a Remington 1911 in stainless. It’s reliable, accurate, and looks great. I’ve got to say I love this piece. I might put some Masonic grips on it. You can find them for around $700 even though they’re not being made anymore.

Colt Gold Cup Trophy
Dan Wesson Valor
magnum research 1911
full size Wilson combat
Any other suggestions?
Magnum Research 1911. AWESOME.

I have let several members here shoot mine, after 500 rounds no cleaning, it is smooth, feels amazing and I haven't done any work to it.

If your budget is up to $2.5K ... I would get a MR 1911 in 45 ACP and one kn 10mm with plenty of money left for ammo. WIN WIN.

Few people around here have a MR so I recommend doing a search online and reading other forums. Keep in mind, most can't figure out how to get a Glock for under $900, so don't expect them to get a MR. Also many people have this false notion that under $1200 is sh*t. For some brands maybe it is sh*t. The MR punches way above its price and their customer service is awesome.

Back
Top Bottom