• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

1911 or AR15

So my wife has given me the Ok to buy myself a new gun for my birthday. I'm undecided on which way to go on this. I currently have a m&p 9c for my every day carry, and a m&p 15/22 for plinking. I'm looking to keep it under 1k. I'm pretty open to suggestions on models so feel free

Actually as FPrice said, with $1K you can get two decent firearms. Or you get one very nice firearm. Only you can say what you enjoy shooting the most. Handgun or rifle. I have several 1911s and just like anything, they can turn into an addiction. In your case, I think I'd go for a rifle. You have a decent handgun, but only a 22 in a rifle. For the 1K the range is wide open for you. You could get a nice AR-15, decent bolt action w/ glass, a plethora of milsurps, etc'. If it was me, I'd be looking at a CMP Garand if you went the milsurp route. OR, how about a good home defense shotgun. For less much less then $1K you could get yourself a converted Saiga 12 or a standard semi auto shotgun. Oh the choices!!!

So my wife has given me the Ok to buy myself a new gun for my birthday. I'm undecided on which way to go on this. I currently have a m&p 9c for my every day carry, and a m&p 15/22 for plinking. I'm looking to keep it under 1k. I'm pretty open to suggestions on models so feel free

Both.

Problem solved.

Actually as FPrice said, with $1K you can get two decent firearms!!!

Remember the old (military?) saying, "It is easier to beg forgiveness than to ask for permission."

1911 & AK. Problem simplified reliability wise. [smile]

In all seriousness your better off getting a AR15 first because of the possible ban and THEN get the 1911 because they wont ban a single stack handgun as opposed to the AR. Make sure to buy as much pre ban mags as possible.

Last edited:
I agree. The only reason you should ever choose a pistol over a rifle, is because you were dumb enough to not have your rifle. (Besides, you have a carry piece already.)

I'd buy a Saiga 7.62x39 Sportster (~$350) and take the remainder and shop for a used 1911. You can pull off both guns for a G note. The Saiga gives you a good solid centerfire rifle that packs a punch and you still have money left over to shop for a 1911.

Later you can convert the Saiga to an AK and really have some fun.

Thanks guys I appreciate the input. In my head I have been leaning towards an AR... I forgot to mention I do have a Winchester model 70 coming my way soon. So hopefully I can look into. Ordering something this week

Consider building an AR to save some money that could be used for ammo, mags, or optics. Even if you don't want to get the special tools to build the upper, you can easily build your own lower with simple hand tools, and then buy a complete upper to finish the rifle. You can also spread out the spending that way too. If I were you, I would get something like the Ruger SR1911, and still have enough to build a complete AR lower, then save some extra money while you watch classified for an upper. AR15.com is a great place to pick up uppers and other parts to complete the build on a budget.

AR-15
(It is basically a semi auto copy of your nations service rifle).
Go with irons or MBUS first then slowly save up for an Aimpoint.

smitty

The handgun is what you use to get to the rifle!

AR platform rifle. then a shotgun, then a 1911

+1. OP needs to buy "a new gun". Lower isn't a firearm according to MA laws.
What would be the downside to buying just a lower and immediately registering it with an FA10 as a completed rifle? That would get it "on the books" with the state before a possible future ban. There are no fees or taxes involved and you could finish it at your leisure.

What would be the downside to buying just a lower and immediately registering it with an FA10 as a completed rifle? That would get it "on the books" with the state before a possible future ban. There are no fees or taxes involved and you could finish it at your leisure.

Well, I'm not sure about a buying a "complete" lower, but I wouldn't think this would be advisable with a stripped lower. Good question, though, and hopefully some of our members more versed in MGLs will chime in with a real answer to your question.

Both are wonderful guns to have, but like most here, I'd also lean towards the AR. Aside from all the other great reasons to have one, you'll probably just end up having more fun taking your AR out the the range.

No need to FA-10 it until it's complete. There won't be another ban.

I started with a shotgun, then an m&p9c, a .22 rifle, then built my AR. 1911 is next on my wishlist.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

but I wouldn't think this would be advisable with a stripped lower.
Some shops require an FA10 to transfer a stripped AR lower (shop policy, not MA law). If you buy from one of them the gun will already be "registered" (ie, transfer reported to the state) before you even start your build.

Some shops require an FA10 to transfer a stripped AR lower (shop policy, not MA law). If you buy from one of them the gun will already be "registered" (ie, transfer reported to the state) before you even start your build.

True, but at least in my case, the stripped lower was registered as "other firearm".

Back
Top Bottom