1 in the chamber?

With the "To carry or not to carry? " thread, i wondered do you guys carry with the chamber loaded or unloaded?

I don't wanna be fiddling with the damn thing while the bad guy is shooting at me. Cocked and locked.

Loaded, you might not have both hands free when you need it. You can try hooking the rear sight on your belt to rack the slide, but I would not want to have to depend on the technique.

No reason not to carry with one in the pipe. Modern revolvers all have a block which will prevent the gun from going off when dropped and most new autos have a similar feature which protects the firing pin from the hammer.

I don't wanna be fiddling with the damn thing while the bad guy is shooting at me. Cocked and locked.

plain and simple language, that is. +1

Unless what you got is one of them there so-called Saturday Night Specials, then i don't see why you would want to carry "chamber-unchamberd". Doesn't make sense. I used to work Armored Transport and would see idiots with unchambered-uncocked guns, with the safety on! [rofl] Sometimes theyed even be missing a magazine. Dumbasses. [rolleyes]

I'm with everyone else on this one. Just had an email thread with a bunch of friends, many who carry. A couple were adamant about not having one in the pipe on their semi autos. Told me that they have trained so that they automatically cycle the action when they draw. I'm skeptical to say the least.

Gary

Having one in the chamber only 'sounds' dangerous if you don't fully understand the mechanics of modern firearms. Unfortunately the liberals have done a good job of making it sound irresponsible. Fact is, the guns are DESIGNED to carry that way.

I'm with everyone else on this one. Just had an email thread with a bunch of friends, many who carry. A couple were adamant about not having one in the pipe on their semi autos. Told me that they have trained so that they automatically cycle the action when they draw. I'm skeptical to say the least.

Gary

Are your friends in or from Israel?

Kindly remember the axiom that "all guns are loaded all of the time" ... the only way to carry any modern defense handgun is with a round in the chamber. When the s**t hits the fan, everything needs to be as simple as possible and racking a slide is just one more "thing" to complicate matters. Modern revolvers (including modern or "New Model" Ruger single action revolvers) all have a block which prevents the hammer from striking the firing pin unless the trigger is pulled as Pilgrim has pointed out.

The only possible exception would be if one carried a Colt Single Action Army Revolver or a close copy for personal defense, in which case because of the 1873 design, one would be best advised to have the hammer resting on an empty chamber. While I personally do not know of anyone who carries such a revolver for personal defense, I understand that some who compete in Single Action Schooting Society events opt for this because of their familiarity with this type of firearm and "go with what they know."

Respectfully,

Mark L.

An unloaded gun won't do you much good in a fight. I see zero reason to have an empty chamber. If you're not comfortable carrying with a chambered round with a particular gun design, get one that you are.

I prefer cocked and locked single actions (GP35 and M1911), but striker fired autos and d/a revolvers are ok too. I can't shoot DA/SA autos worth a damn.

Criminals, gangbangers and other ne-er-do-wells who wish to do me or my family harm will have one in the pipe.

I like to stay on even footing so I do the same.

Wouldn't have it any other way.

WARNING HUMOR ALERT: Besides, what's the point of teaching yourself that "all guns are loaded all the time"....if they aren't?

If anyone here insists on carrying a semi without a loaded chamber and believes they can draw, chamber and fire before they can be disarmed or "killed", PM me, and we can set up some one on one training and I will change your mind.

I will not charge anyone, but I get to be the bad guy.[devil]

10+1 on the M&P compact

there was heated discussion about this on another M&P Pistol forum a while back that dragged on for weeks!

Last edited by a moderator:
The only possible exception would be if one carried a Colt Single Action Army Revolver or a close copy for personal defense, in which case because of the 1873 design, one would be best advised to have the hammer resting on an empty chamber.
Respectfully,

Mark L.

Even resting on an empty chamber, the single action Colt Army Revolver still needs to be cocked, which brings up a fresh round whether there is one "in the pipe" or not.

LOL - didn't know there that many hip hop fans in here...

QUOTE]

What the heck is a hip hop? Is that something like the Tueller drill, or El Presidente when training with Force-on-Force simulations?

Geez...sometimes you guys make me feel SOOOO old!!! [wink]

I'm not really up on the hippety hoppety music. Sounds like something rabbits listen to while...uh...making more rabbits.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom