• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

1 in the chamber?

CO, which trigger group do you have on your USP? If you have one of the types you can carry cocked and locked, carry it cocked and locked with an empty chamber for a while. You'll see that the hammer never drops. This should help build your confidence that it's not gonna drop on a live round either.

Good advice Jar, I did this with a 1911 when I first bought it and it helped me to get comfortable. No matter what I did or how long I left it cocked it stayed locked.

CO, which trigger group do you have on your USP? If you have one of the types you can carry cocked and locked, carry it cocked and locked with an empty chamber for a while. You'll see that the hammer never drops. This should help build your confidence that it's not gonna drop on a live round either.

I have the V1.. DA/SA with decocking and safety.. [thinking] lol you would think I would never even THOUGHT FOR A SECOND to not carry with one in the chamber with the V1...

When I think more and more about it... I'm getting closer... [grin]

I have the V1.. DA/SA with decocking and safety.. [thinking] lol you would think I would never even THOUGHT FOR A SECOND to not carry with one in the chamber with the V1...

At the very least consider putting a round in the pipe, decock it, and put the safety back on. Although I
never carry my HKs that way, IMO it's a better choice than leaving the chamber completely empty. It's a lot easier to disable the safety than it is to rack the slide, at least the safety can probably be manipulated by your thumb.

-Mike

I have a 1911...if not comfortable put one in the chamber and reset the hammer. this way if needed pull back the hammer and fire (did this especially when carrying with the family)....get used to carrying.....soon you will cock and lock

I have a 1911...if not comfortable put one in the chamber and reset the hammer. this way if needed pull back the hammer and fire (did this especially when carrying with the family)....get used to carrying.....soon you will cock and lock

Never ever ever ever ever do this. EVER.

This is nowhere near as safe as a 1911 that is cocked and locked, and never should be done. It is far too dangerous. Please do not ever attempt this while myself, anyone that I know, or any other human being is within the effective range of a .45 acp in relation to your gun.

Dropping the hammer of a 1911 with a live round on the other side of the firing pin? Are you kidding me? You have a lot of faith in the fact that your finger won't slip off the hammer while lowering it my friend. Thats a huge risk to take. Besides that, any 1911 that doesn't have a firing pin safety such as the 70s and earlier colts and the colt repros can and will fire if dropped on the hammer.

Having the gun cocked and locked is infinately safer as you now have a thumb safety and a grip safety to prevent that hammer from falling and discharging the gun, and possibly a firing pin safety.

Again, do not ever do this under any circumstance. There's a reason the old SAA's were carried hammer down on an empty chamber and this is the same concept.

With the "To carry or not to carry? " thread, i wondered do you guys carry with the chamber loaded or unloaded?
Cocked and locked with one in the pipe - the way that G-d and John Browning intended it to be.

A couple were adamant about not having one in the pipe on their semi autos. Told me that they have trained so that they automatically cycle the action when they draw. I'm skeptical to say the least.
What do they do if they get their off-hand injured? Or even their good hand injured? It's gonna get ugly....
I do.

On that point I saw a pretty neat semi-auto hand gun at the range the other week. If only I could remember the make. You could flip open the barrel (almost like a break-action) so you could load one in the barrel without having to load your magazine, rack the gun, eject the magazine and insert a new round.
Sounds like a Beretta 21a, Bobcat or Tomcat. (.22, .25, and .32, respectively, I think).

Would you carry a knife without a blade in it???? Always one in the chamber unless you can freeze time instantly with a wink of your eye......

Everyone is assuming the only time your going to draw is when you are being attacked personally... what about the times your eating at a restaurant and a guy goes crazy and starts firing? Guy at a mall? Bank? White hen? or you hear popping sounds coming from the front office at work and you hear people yelling.. trying to kick down your door at your house?
Case 1 - you want a round in the chamber so you can get off a shot FAST.

Case 2 - LEAVE!!!! Unless he's right on top of you, in which case you want a round in the chamber so you can get off a shot FAST.

Case 3 - not your money; let him have it and leave. Unless he starts shooting, in which case you want a round in the chamber so you can get off a shot FAST.

Case 4 - You're not a cop; hunker down in your office, call 911, and wait for the professionals who are PAID to take care of that stuff do it. Unless he comes to YOUR office, in which case you want a round in the chamber so you can get off a shot FAST.

Case 5... You want a round in the chamber so you can get off a shot FAST.

Notice a pattern here?

Never ever ever ever ever do this. EVER.

This is nowhere near as safe as a 1911 that is cocked and locked, and never should be done. It is far too dangerous. Please do not ever attempt this while myself, anyone that I know, or any other human being is within the effective range of a .45 acp in relation to your gun.

Dropping the hammer of a 1911 with a live round on the other side of the firing pin? Are you kidding me? You have a lot of faith in the fact that your finger won't slip off the hammer while lowering it my friend. Thats a huge risk to take. Besides that, any 1911 that doesn't have a firing pin safety such as the 70s and earlier colts and the colt repros can and will fire if dropped on the hammer.

Having the gun cocked and locked is infinately safer as you now have a thumb safety and a grip safety to prevent that hammer from falling and discharging the gun, and possibly a firing pin safety.

Again, do not ever do this under any circumstance. There's a reason the old SAA's were carried hammer down on an empty chamber and this is the same concept.

WOW have to look into this.....The Dealer I bought this from had told me that this was a more secure way of carrying...damn.....glad I joined...call it a wake up call

WOW have to look into this.....The Dealer I bought this from had told me that this was a more secure way of carrying...damn.....glad I joined...call it a wake up call

Wow, it's nice to hear someone who is respectful after you disagree with them, and before arguing back right away they look further into the issue.

Thanks, and I'm glad if what I said helped.

A DEALER told you to carry hammer down on a live round in a 1911???
ohlord.gif
Dare I ask what - wait, no, never mind. I don't want to know.

Kiver, you'll learn that there are dealers and there are dealers - some are good, some are bad, and some you want to run away from, screaming in horror. Sounds like that guy fits into the last category.

I'm going to be rude here: the dealer is a moron. That is the worst possible way to carry a 1911.

I have to jump in here and join the masses (like you need more input on this). I always carry with one in the chamber, be it the Seecamp 32acp, the Charter Arms 38spl or the Sig P245, my only three carry guns

With the "To carry or not to carry? " thread, i wondered do you guys carry with the chamber loaded or unloaded?

in all, i will add that my brother is one that USED to carry w/o one in the pipe with his M&P40.

when he told me that, I was like WTF???? OVER!

i told him to read his manual and join MP Pistol for this same discussion (not as civil as this one) - plus he has a 10# trigger

he now carries 10+1

One in the chamber all the time...otherwise it might be just as effective to throw it at someone posing a threat...Somewhere between 4 and 15 rounds to follow is my ususal habit...I like to match my gun to my outfit...[rofl]

Just bought a Para P13 and was intsructed that there is NO other way to carry than cocked and Locked..designed to be carried that way and SAFEST that way... it is a little unnerving to see that hammer back, I must agree, but it just makes sense

Time is one thing you dont have in a SHTF moment... it takes time to rack slide and chamber a round... I dont care how fast you are....

If I'm carrying a gun, it has a round in the chamber. If you ever need your CCW gun, you need it RIGHT NOW, and you need it REAL BAD!

With practice, you can charge the chamber relatively quickly, if you have two hands available. But there is a good chance that your support hand will be busy -- fending off the perp, opening a door, pushing your spouse to cover, holding onto your child, etc. There are techniques for the charging the chamber one-handed. Some people can even do it pretty quickly (depends a lot on the design of the rear sight and your clothing). But you can learn to properly operate a safety in less time.

Great discussion, folks. I have a question however.

I just read on page 13 of my newly acquired G21's manual in bright red:

"17. NEVER WALK, CLIMB, FOLLOW A COMPANION OR HUNT WITH YOUR PISTOL READY TO FIRE (IN BATTERY), OUT OF ITS HOLSTER, OR WITH THE TRIGGER IN ANY POSITION OTHER THAN REARWARD."

This statement by Glock makes me nervous about carrying it with one in the pipe (which defeats my purpose in purchasing it. I would rather carry one of my revolvers if I can't carry the G21 with a round in the chamber). Do all automatics have such warnings in the manuals?

I understand that the safety mechanisms within the weapon prevent discharge unless the trigger is pulled. Why is this warning there if Glock is so confident with their "safe-action"? More importantly, what are the risks of an AD if the weapon is in a holster ready to rock? Or can this be interpreted as a warning directed to those with poor trigger discipline?

Why is this warning there if Glock is so confident with their "safe-action"?

They are confident of their gun. Their also confident in the lack of trigger finger discipline amongst many gun owners and in the behavior of bottom-feeder lawyers.

More importantly, what are the risks of an AD if the weapon is in a holster ready to rock?

Slim to none, and Slim just left town. A holstered gun is a safe gun. You are in far more danger while drawing and holstering.

Great discussion, folks. I have a question however.

I just read on page 13 of my newly acquired G21's manual in bright red:

"17. NEVER WALK, CLIMB, FOLLOW A COMPANION OR HUNT WITH YOUR PISTOL READY TO FIRE (IN BATTERY), OUT OF ITS HOLSTER, OR WITH THE TRIGGER IN ANY POSITION OTHER THAN REARWARD."

This statement by Glock makes me nervous about carrying it with one in the pipe (which defeats my purpose in purchasing it. I would rather carry one of my revolvers if I can't carry the G21 with a round in the chamber). Do all automatics have such warnings in the manuals?

I understand that the safety mechanisms within the weapon prevent discharge unless the trigger is pulled. Why is this warning there if Glock is so confident with their "safe-action"? More importantly, what are the risks of an AD if the weapon is in a holster ready to rock? Or can this be interpreted as a warning directed to those with poor trigger discipline?

That warning is clearly qualified by the phrase "OUT OF ITS HOLSTER"

CCWing with one in the pipe is different than running around with a loaded gun in your hand.

That warning is clearly qualified by the phrase "OUT OF ITS HOLSTER"

No, it's not. Read it again: never walk, climb, hunt etc. if the weapon is ready to fire, out of its holster, OR with the trigger in any position other than rearward.

Glock is clearly saying NOT to carry with a round in the chamber even when holstered. I'm not saying they're right. I'm just trying to get information so I can make a decision that's right for me.

No, it's not. Read it again: never walk, climb, hunt etc. if the weapon is ready to fire, out of its holster, OR with the trigger in any position other than rearward.

Glock is clearly saying NOT to carry with a round in the chamber even when holstered. I'm not saying they're right. I'm just trying to get information so I can make a decision that's right for me.

I guess, if you want to read it that way. No way Glock is telling people not to carry the gun with one in the pipe. If that were the case, Glock should stop making guns and sell clubs.

It's probably to avoid any lawsuits that may result in a ND. If one does happen, they can easily pull the "we told you so" card. I carry my Glock with a round in the chamber, holstered. It has yet to go bang, because my finger doesn't go near that trigger unless I'm at the range. The manufacture is not going to advocate you go do something that without care could lead to potential danger. They are much safer not recommending it, but obviously it is a common sense matter.

Case 1 - you want a round in the chamber so you can get off a shot FAST.

Case 2 - LEAVE!!!! Unless he's right on top of you, in which case you want a round in the chamber so you can get off a shot FAST.

Case 3 - not your money; let him have it and leave. Unless he starts shooting, in which case you want a round in the chamber so you can get off a shot FAST.

Case 4 - You're not a cop; hunker down in your office, call 911, and wait for the professionals who are PAID to take care of that stuff do it. Unless he comes to YOUR office, in which case you want a round in the chamber so you can get off a shot FAST.

Case 5... You want a round in the chamber so you can get off a shot FAST.

Notice a pattern here?

lol ok ok ok ok ok ok... One in the chamber it is from now on...

geeezz glad your not drug dealers... [grin]

Great topic btw.. ty

Back
Top Bottom