1 in the chamber?

Carrying a firearm in an unready state is the same as leaving it in the safe and walking the streets. Unless you practice like the Israelis do its simply not practical by any means.

Don't forget Birdman's night sights that mount on the side of the slide, for the fashionable Gangsta'.

i saw that picture and e-mailed it to a couple of my buddys.... we are always laughing at how Hollywood (John Singleton) and MTV have cast this great steriotype upon the ethnic culture.

It appears the general consensus among posters is YES.

I think anybody who can legally own a firearm in Massachusetts knows that a loaded firearm is ready to fire and perhaps more dangerous to those without trigger discipline. And an unloaded gun must be loaded before being used in self defense which would give a BG time to maim you.

I find it both funny and sad that I know answers to questions like this about carrying, yet my town's reluctance to even issue me an LTC. I'm still stuck in FID hell. They must have seen me listening to rap music and now they won't issue. [wink]

I should probably move to the OP's town.

Last edited:
I do.

On that point I saw a pretty neat semi-auto hand gun at the range the other week. If only I could remember the make. You could flip open the barrel (almost like a break-action) so you could load one in the barrel without having to load your magazine, rack the gun, eject the magazine and insert a new round.

I don't right now... and the reason is because I'm not comfortable enough with my weapon at this time.. I want to know here inside and out first...

I know if anything happened... I will be 2secs behind the game... BUT 2 secs is better then throwing rocks... IMHO

When I get back from Blackwater later this summer... I'm hoping I'll be where I want to be...

I don't right now... and the reason is because I'm not comfortable enough with my weapon at this time.. I want to know here inside and out first...

I know if anything happened... I will be 2secs behind the game... BUT 2 secs is better then throwing rocks... IMHO

When I get back from Blackwater later this summer... I'm hoping I'll be where I want to be...

You have made your decision on this, but I'd like you to try something if you would?
  • Grab a friend who you trust, another shooter would be great.
  • Unload your gun, verify it is empty, check it again.
  • Have your friend check the gun as well.
  • Have him hand it to you after you have both verified it a few times back and forth.
  • He must be the one to hand it to you (this is the most important step of all).
  • Holster or carry as you would normally.
  • Have him stand 20 feet away and charge you.
  • See if you can draw in time.
  • Do the same drill at 15 feet.
  • Do the same drill at 10 feet.

Then tell me if you are as comfortable with the draw, rack, then ready techinique.

I have two carry guns.

My SW1911: Condition 1. Wilson 8 round mag, so 9 rounds ready to go, 230gr Golden Sabers

My SW M&P9c: round chambered, mag topped off. 10+1 124 gr JHPs.

bad guys...

I keep my bullets in my back pocket. I figure it will give the bad guy time to think about his actions while I load up....

This will also allow them time to reflect on where their life has lead them and how they could go about changing it for the better... oh wait criminals dont care about other people.. nevermind

I always keep one in the pipe.

You have made your decision on this, but I'd like you to try something if you would?
  • Grab a friend who you trust, another shooter would be great.
  • Unload your gun, verify it is empty, check it again.
  • Have your friend check the gun as well.
  • Have him hand it to you after you have both verified it a few times back and forth.
  • He must be the one to hand it to you (this is the most important step of all).
  • Holster or carry as you would normally.
  • Have him stand 20 feet away and charge you.
  • See if you can draw in time.
  • Do the same drill at 15 feet.
  • Do the same drill at 10 feet.

Then tell me if you are as comfortable with the draw, rack, then ready techinique.

I understand your point.. but it's not that I'm not comfortable with the draw/rack... its more of the fact I'm not comfortable with myself right now.. Don't get me wrong.. In a few months I'm hoping to get to that point that I feel comfortable with carrying a round in the chamber.. Then I will! [wink]

I understand your point.. but it's not that I'm not comfortable with the draw/rack... its more of the fact I'm not comfortable with myself right now.. Don't get me wrong.. In a few months I'm hoping to get to that point that I feel comfortable with carrying a round in the chamber.. Then I will! [wink]

CO,

What do you carry?

CO,

What do you carry?

HK USPc .45

I have the MTAC Holster from Comp-Tech.. I love the holster and its very comfortable.. also as stupid as this might sound.. the 25% fat I've put on the past year.. has made everything just uncomfortable for me.. so its just a mental thing I guess right now...

Last edited:
Some people imagine the situation in there heads. They imagine that they will have all the time and clear thinking in the world to operate themselves at Spec Op speeds and get the job done. Truth is, it ain't going to happen the way you've planned it in your head. You may not ever get that "perfect draw", warning, rack the slide, shoot. Most likely, you'll be utterly shocked and suprised by the attack. You'll have to fend the person off with one hand while trying to grab your pistol. You will mostly likely be throwing punches and pulling his/her hair and kicking tyring to create distance enough to draw. Now that you've created this small distance, you now have to rack the slide with one hand? Stupid. Your not a spec-op tactical soldier, so don't prepare for situations like one. 1 in the chamber, makes life easier.

Some people imagine the situation in there heads. They imagine that they will have all the time and clear thinking in the world to operate themselves at Spec Op speeds and get the job done. Truth is, it ain't going to happen the way you've planned it in your head. You may not ever get that "perfect draw", warning, rack the slide, shoot. Most likely, you'll be utterly shocked and suprised by the attack. You'll have to fend the person off with one hand while trying to grab your pistol. You will mostly likely be throwing punches and pulling his/her hair and kicking tyring to create distance enough to draw. Now that you've created this small distance, you now have to rack the slide with one hand? Stupid. Your not a spec-op tactical soldier, so don't prepare for situations like one. 1 in the chamber, makes life easier.

Everyone is assuming the only time your going to draw is when you are being attacked personally... what about the times your eating at a restaurant and a guy goes crazy and starts firing? Guy at a mall? Bank? White hen? or you hear popping sounds coming from the front office at work and you hear people yelling.. trying to kick down your door at your house?

No doubt that having one in the chamber is the quickest/best way to go... but if someone is not comfortable with it.. to me its like someone that is scared to shoot a .45.. they only love a little P22.... laugh at them all you want... but having a little pea shooter in your pocket is better then having a few nickels and pennies until they feel comfortable enough to carry a 9 or larger cal...

FYI Fsorrent.. your right... I do not have spec-op tactical speed... I GOT NINJA SPEED!!!! [smile]

CO, which trigger group do you have on your USP? If you have one of the types you can carry cocked and locked, carry it cocked and locked with an empty chamber for a while. You'll see that the hammer never drops. This should help build your confidence that it's not gonna drop on a live round either.

I understand the comfort level. When i carried a 1911 for the first time, it was uncocked, unchambered. I was nervous, because I had limited experience with one. After a few weeks, I was comfortable and don't hesitate to carry it cocked and locked.

I remember when I first got my SW1911. It looked so ominous with that hammer back.

Then I studied just how the guns works with all the built in things that have to happen before it will go off.

I carry one now without even thinking about it not being safe. I've even accidentally 'snicked' off the thumb safety while it's been in my holster. Even then, I'm not worried as the grip has to be squeezed and the trigger has to be pulled before it will go off.

The trigger pull on most unaltered DA j-frames is so stiff that it's most unlikely that you could ever make it go off accidentally.

Learn how your gun works and carry without fear.

Back
Top Bottom