• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

1 in the chamber?

It's probably to avoid any lawsuits that may result in a ND. If one does happen, they can easily pull the "we told you so" card. I carry my Glock with a round in the chamber, holstered. It has yet to go bang, because my finger doesn't go near that trigger unless I'm at the range. The manufacture is not going to advocate you go do something that without care could lead to potential danger. They are much safer not recommending it, but obviously it is a common sense matter.

yup.. when I read it first thought was that Glocks Legal team got a hold of that manual...

This statement by Glock makes me nervous about carrying it with one in the pipe (which defeats my purpose in purchasing it. I would rather carry one of my revolvers if I can't carry the G21 with a round in the chamber). Do all automatics have such warnings in the manuals?

Every manufacturer has some dumb warning about this, often to varying
degrees. It's legalese BS, IMO.

-Mike

Cherokee: 1) what is it that you are afraid of and 2) what training have you had?

1- I wasn't afraid.. it was just a comfort or mostly mental feeling with 1 in the chamber... but I've gotten over that now.. thanks to this thread [grin] and I now have one in the pipe..

2- Only training I have with handguns... mmmmm besides the 1000s of rounds I've put through myself.. none.. [thinking] but I'm taking a 5 day class later this summer that I'm hoping will help my confidence and tactics out a lot..

2- Only training I have with handguns... mmmmm besides the 1000s of rounds I've put through myself.. none.. [thinking] but I'm taking a 5 day class later this summer that I'm hoping will help my confidence and tactics out a lot..

Well, there's your problem. Holstering a loaded gun is dangerous, particularly if you have not been trained in how to do it properly. So you should be concerned. Get some training ASAP. If you know someone who has already been trained, perhaps they can work with on at the range to cover the basics of drawing and holstering safely.

I carry the same way except after racking the one I remove the mag, add another to take the place of the one in the pipe then place mag back in gun.

One of my carry guns has a mag disconnecter witch I hate but if you got it use it to your advantage. So I recommend taking these steps:

1 Chamber round
2 remove mag
3 holster
4 reinsert topped off mag and make sure it clicks

In this order.

If you want some personal protection instruction, please dont go asking a friend unless that friend is a certified personal protection Instructor..... theres already enough people out there running around not knowing what the hell they are doing when it comes to PP.. if you want PP instruction send me a pm or contact GOAL or Sig Arms Academy and talk to Adam Panchaud...

Last edited:
drew: Good advice. I will say, however, that some experienced and trained IDPA/IPSC shooters could help in a pinch.

Personally, I'm NRA certified to teach BP, HFS, PP in the home, NRA and IDPA certified Range Safety Officer, and have taken LFI-1, LFI-2, Sigarms Concealed Carry and Advanced Concealed Carry.

Yes, I'd rather that Cherokee get proper instruction ASAP. But in the meantime, I'd rather that Cherokee get SOMEONE to teach the basics of drawing and holstering, rather than be flying blind.

Great discussion, folks. I have a question however.

... Why is this warning there if Glock is so confident with their "safe-action"? More importantly, what are the risks of an AD if the weapon is in a holster ready to rock? Or can this be interpreted as a warning directed to those with poor trigger discipline?

Because Glock is covering their ass in their manual. That way, when someone tries to sue because they went running through the woods with their buddy with a round chambered, and they screw up and pull the trigger with the chamber loaded, Glock is not responsible thanks to that little statement.

Hmm...
I think I am doing something wrong? please advise
After care ful study of the mass regulations here is what I came up with..

I ordered a special edition mass compliant J-frame with a politically correct 2 round cylinder. It has the mass complaint 75lb trigger..

The ammo, I have a speed loader locked in a safe that I drag around on a chain behind me while I walk the streets. Of course I have the non-penetrating safe bullets meant only to annoy and scare dogs.

Then I keep my gun in the mass approved lockable holster, I keep the key to that in my right back pocket.

Then of course the gun always has a mass approved trigger lock on it. I keep that key in my left back pocket..

I am ready for action at a moments notice.. Am I doing anything wrong?

Sarcasm mode off...

Hmm...

I ordered a special edition mass compliant J-frame with a politically correct 2 round cylinder. It has the mass complaint 75lb trigger..

The ammo, I have a speed loader locked in a safe that I drag around on a chain behind me while I walk the streets. Of course I have the non-penetrating safe bullets meant only to annoy and scare dogs.

Then I keep my gun in the mass approved lockable holster, I keep the key to that in my right back pocket.

Then of course the gun always has a mass approved trigger lock on it. I keep that key in my left back pocket..

Sarcasm mode off...

You must've gotten ahold of the "High Capacity" approved mASSachusetts gun.[rofl]

Hmm...

Sarcasm mode off...

You forgot to ask Martha Coakley if it was okay to take a piss.

M1911, I agree with you on some types of training/experience can be helpful... obviously you have a little more experience than the regular Joe who gets his/her LTC and takes a basic safety course or just watches movies etc..

Thanks for the comments re: the Glock manual folks.

To settle it once and for all I called Glock and asked them about it this morning. The fellow with whom I spoke was surprised that the manual would say such a thing. At first he didn't believe me until I read the warning to him.

He confirmed that this was most likely a way to limit Glock's liability, and he would not hesitate to carry with one in the chamber if all three safety mechanisms were operational, and the weapon was in a quality holster that covered the trigger.

Hmm...

Sarcasm mode off...
You must be mistaken your gun cant be Mass compliant.......After all that it still could fire

6+1, always.

pocketlcp.jpg

Of course, if I was just dropping the pistol in my pocket with the trigger exposed, that would be a different story.

1 in the chamber, always. I have had some guys tell me that it's dangerous, and I usually reply by reviewing the safety rules for them.

Back
Top Bottom