You can transport your guns in the car

All my rifles will fit in my new Frontier [smile]. People would laugh as they watched me load all my bags and guns into the trunk of my Altima Coupe. Now I know why trucks are way better than small cars, acquisitions thread will be updated tonight with pictures !

And about the law, LenS was right. Out of sight out if mind is the way to go. Remember the story a week ago where the guy got pulled out of his car for having a ****ing holster on his back seat? Sure he was a felon but that could happen to any of us in this communist state. Keep them in the trunk or truck bed. ( if you have a truck cap)

Gee, I guess that stunt at UConn where the guys on the Rifle Team who wanted to be able to carry in school all wore empty holsters to class wouldn't fly at UMASS. Huh?

Last edited:
Well, the holster-in-plain-view was seen during a traffic stop, and was not the "primary offense", though it arguably lead to more intensive scrutiny of the car durng the traffic stop - it was a causus belli, as it were, not an offense in itself.

That being said, in that environment...I'd say it was a less than stellar idea, unless one is lookng for fame via the 6:00 news.

[laugh]

Holy thread resurrection Batman.

I did a search and didn't find an answer - my GF recently received her license and we were talking about transport in a car. If her loaded gun is in her purse, and the purse is on the floor, is that considered 'under her control'? How do the NES ladies handle this situation?

I did a search and didn't find an answer - my GF recently received her license and we were talking about transport in a car. If her loaded gun is in her purse, and the purse is on the floor, is that considered 'under her control'? How do the NES ladies handle this situation?

Can she easily reach it with her seat belt on? If yes, then probably. Does she have a friend (unlicensed) in the car with her in the passenger seat? Now you might have an issue. As mentioned millions of times in this thread, while you may be complying with the letter of the law, this will not stop a LEO who wants to give you a hard time from succeeding in his quest. On the body is the first choice, within immediate reach is the next. After that, IMO, you're rolling dice.

No trunk in my pick em up truck, so they go in a locked hard case on the back seat... under a blanket... with stuffed animals on top wearing sunglasses.

[rofl] Yeah, No tonneau cover or Cap for the bed of my truck either. Have a couple blankets in the back seat, but I always lock the bags. [glasses]

The best answer anyone can give you is see Comm v. Reyes (2013) for the only interpretation that counts. It's not much, but there should be something in there.

Are you required to tell the cops you've got your guns stored in the trunk during a routine traffic stop? I can only imagine cops in some of these bs towns around here flippin out and find a way to F you for daring to drive with a gun in their serfdom.

The OP is correct about the law but the majority of LEOs think it must have a trigger lock, lock box or cable lock even in a locked trunk. You might be right but you will still need a lawyer.

Marshfield Police Firearms page:
Securing Firearms

Recently, Massachusetts amended Chapter 140 (Firearms Laws) by adding Section 131L. Section 131L makes it unlawful to store or keep any firearm, shotgun or other weapon "any place" without ensuring first that the weapon is secured in:

1.) A locked container, or

2.) Secured with a tamper resistant mechanical lock or other safety device. The safety device must render the weapon inoperable by any person other than the owner or other authorized user.

They interperate to mean even a car trunk.

Last edited:
ok, i think I got it now,not being a lawyer though, what about if its a Tuesday in a month beginning with a j after 5 pm? if I stay off all roads with a posted speed limit of 45 mph or greater?

The OP is correct about the law but the majority of LEOs think it must have a trigger lock, lock box or cable lock even in a locked trunk. You might be right but you will still need a lawyer.

Marshfield Police Firearms page:
Securing Firearms

Recently, Massachusetts amended Chapter 140 (Firearms Laws) by adding Section 131L. Section 131L makes it unlawful to store or keep any firearm, shotgun or other weapon "any place" without ensuring first that the weapon is secured in:

1.) A locked container, or

2.) Secured with a tamper resistant mechanical lock or other safety device. The safety device must render the weapon inoperable by any person other than the owner or other authorized user.

They interperate to mean even a car trunk.

original reply deleted
sorry I misread your post.

Trigger locks in a motor vehicle are not in compliance with the law see section 131c

Last edited:
Yup, but out of sight is out of mind and likely to NOT raise ugly questions by any officer who happens to spot something that looks like it could be a gun bag.

I always tell folks the law and then give my personal recommendation to keep them covered or out of sight (trunk) at all times.

It's called getting lost in a crowd of one. The alternative is standing out like a turd in a punchbowl.

I've searched around with no luck so I'm going to resurrect this old, resurrected thread.

Say I DID in fact have a firearm securely locked in a case in my car and was stopped for some other reason. How do you respond to an LEO asking "What's in that locked case/bag/whatever?"

I've searched around with no luck so I'm going to resurrect this old, resurrected thread.

Say I DID in fact have a firearm securely locked in a case in my car and was stopped for some other reason. How do you respond to an LEO asking "What's in that locked case/bag/whatever?"

"Personal effects."

*See Amendment #4 to the US Constitution.

Massprudence dictates that said locked case be under a blanket, or quilt (one with kittens is best), preferably with tennis rackets on top.

If you're transporting within the law (or, as many here would suggest, more than within the law), who cares if you tell the cop if it's guns. If you are pulled over frequently, then it might be you.....

Last person that I have personal knowledge of that got pulled over while transporting: Guy in a 'Vette convertible, was pulled over on his way to a Trap shoot (he was speeding). Cop says, "Is that a gun in the case?" (rectangular Trap Gun case, on the passenger seat). "Yes, it is."

Got a ticket, and the cop never asked to see an FID or LTC.

Section 131C. (a) No person carrying a loaded firearm under a Class A license issued under section 131 or 131F shall carry the same in a vehicle unless such firearm while carried therein is under the direct control of such person. Whoever violates the provisions of this subsection shall be punished by a fine of $500.
(b) No person carrying a firearm under a Class B license issued under section 131 or 131F shall possess the same in a vehicle unless such weapon is unloaded and contained within the locked trunk of such vehicle or in a locked case or other secure container. Whoever violates the provisions of this subsection shall be punished by a fine of $500.
(c) No person possessing a large capacity rifle or shotgun under a Class A or Class B license issued under section 131 or 131F shall possess the same in a vehicle unless such weapon is unloaded and contained within the locked trunk of such vehicle or in a locked case or other secure container. Whoever violates the provisions of this subsection shall be punished by a fine of not less than $500 nor more than $5,000.

Q: Do I need to lock my non-large capacity rifles and shotguns in a case while transporting them in a vehicle?
A: No. They must be transported unloaded, but are not required to be in a locked case while transporting.
top of the page

Q: Can I leave my gun in my car if I need to go into the store on my way home from the range or from hunting?
A: If your handgun or large capacity rifle or shotgun is transported in accordance with the provisions of M.G.L. c. 140, §131C (i.e. unloaded and in a locked case, locked trunk or other secure container) then the gun may be left unattended in the vehicle. Weapons transported in this manner will automatically be considered "stored or kept" in compliance with the safe storage requirements of §131L.
A person leaving a non-large capacity rifle or shotgun in an unattended vehicle is required to lock the rifle or shotgun in a case/container or in the trunk, or install a mechanical locking device on the weapon (i.e. cable or trigger lock).
top of the page

From
http://www.mass.gov/eopss/firearms-reg-and-laws/frb/frequently-asked-questions.html#transporting

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses.

I was mainly thinking about an unloaded handgun in a secure container and what phraseology to use if an LEO started poking around. No, I don't get stopped often (ever).

I still have a few gun stickers on my Jeep (NRA, GOAL, APPLESEED, etc), but next time I will do my best to avoid a situation like that altogether.

He was just confused that you were an apparent heterosexual and yet had an appleseed sticker on your car. Must have thought you stole it.

Ever since I've been in MA people have told me that my guns needed to be in a locked case and in the trunk if they weren't "in my immediate control".

This is wrong.

according to 140:131c it either has to be in a locked case OR in a locked trunk.

(b) No person carrying a firearm under a Class B license issued under section 131 or 131F shall possess the same in a vehicle unless such weapon is unloaded and contained within the locked trunk of such vehicle or in a locked case or other secure container. "

(c) No person possessing a large capacity rifle or shotgun under a Class A or Class B license issued under section 131 or 131F shall possess the same in a vehicle unless such weapon is unloaded and contained within the locked trunk of such vehicle or in a locked case or other secure container.

So based on the statute, the firearm or large capacity rifle/shotgun can be:

1) unloaded and in a locked case in the passenger compartment
2) unloaded with no case requirements provided its in a locked trunk

Just thought I'd help dispel a common myth.

Don

Forget #3. If it is not a high capacity long gun there no requirement for locking, only unloading.

The term says "high capacity" but by specifically naming it, it excludes low capacity. Do a regular rifle/shotgun must be unloaded, but not locked.

Just another myth. Lots of people tell me the all have to be locked.

Since most cops wouldn't know a low-capacity long gun if it hit them in the head, "massprudence" dictates that one treat all the guns the same and put them in a locked case or locked trunk for transport. Yes, it is more than the law requires but do you want to sit by the side of the road for 30 minutes while various LEOs and supervisors try to figure it out, or perhaps they just charge you and let the judge sort it out? [Out of sight is out of mind and avoids the conflict!]

I've got a law office. Wink wink. Lessens the fear of others mistakes. The mistakes of others = income. And bragging rights. I don't lower my standard for the ignorance of others.

Thanks for the responses.

I was mainly thinking about an unloaded handgun in a secure container and what phraseology to use if an LEO started poking around. No, I don't get stopped often (ever).

Never lie to a cop. Anything else is fair play.

Forget #3. If it is not a high capacity long gun there no requirement for locking, only unloading.

The term says "high capacity" but by specifically naming it, it excludes low capacity. Do a regular rifle/shotgun must be unloaded, but not locked.

Just another myth. Lots of people tell me the all have to be locked.

When I wrote that, I missed the part about large capacity. So its even less strict than I portrayed it in my first post since the whole locking/trunk thing only applies to large capacity firearms.

One other thing that I find amusing is MA folks obsession with gun locks. Everyone uses them. I can't figure out why. I've shot all over the country and have never seen anything like it. I have to assume that a lot of these people take the locks off the gun and put them in a safe when they get home.

If you review the law that is cited in this thread, it says "locked container'. A gun lock is not a locked container, so it does nothing to facilitate compliance with the law. All it does is waste everyone's time, scratch up the gun, and make you look paranoid. Locking a gun with a gun lock for transit serves no purpose whatsoever.

Last edited:
I have a theoretical question. I live in MA and own an SUV that does not have a trunk but it does have a rear deck that opens to reveal the spare tire. This deck is lockable. I keep a firearm (pistol) stored in a lockable steel firearm box secured by a steel cable (one of those cheap combination units). I think this is legal. Here is my question. What if my wife (no LTC of any kind) borrows my car? Do I need to remove the firearm?

I apologize if this has been covered somewhere else but I couldn’t find anything.

what it really means is the ma gun laws are a convoluted effing mess. that no one can understand, and the clever can manipulate, but the rest of us get screwed.

christ, the leo who re issued me my ltc didn't even know them, and I forgot half of them, so we agreed to say ,eff it, and give me an A no restrictions, and I promised not to screw up and embarrass the dept. that issued me ,the holy grail of Massachusetts.

Every car TTBOMK must have trunk or seat releases inside the trunk. This was a mandate due to kidnappings (in the trunk) and leaving the person to die there with no way out (I guess most never could find the tire iron and us it as a pry bar).

Len, this is incorrect (at least with regards to the U.S.), and I only point it out because I know you have occasion to discuss this subject with people at seminars and such, so the topic will no doubt come up again. The internal trunk release was mandated in this country primarily to prevent the deaths of children who manage to lock themselves in car trunks, usually while playing. I remember when the law was being enacted and it was a direct result of number of these deaths that had recently been reported in the news. Here's the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration info: https://www.federalregister.gov/art...hicle-safety-standards-interior-trunk-release

Ok, sorry for the slightly off-topic folks, back to the regularly scheduled programming.....

Back
Top Bottom