You can transport your guns in the car

Privateer, you are right, my bad. I never discuss this in my seminars as it's not relevant to the use of a locked trunk for transporting guns/ammo. But I do appreciate the correction on the underlying reason for the law.

When I was selling cars, we called it a "Mafia Trunk Release," though it was intended for kids' use; Privateer is correct.

Len, you SHOULD discuss it......the guns that "go off by themselves" that we read about can probably manipulate the release, and steps to prevent this should be considered.

[laugh]

What is the law about leaving them in the trunk while running and errand or for a few hours outside of your house? A LEO told me I couldn't I said I he was wrong. I told him to read the LAW again. He's family so I left it at that

Last edited:
When I was selling cars, we called it a "Mafia Trunk Release," though it was intended for kids' use; Privateer is correct.

Len, you SHOULD discuss it......the guns that "go off by themselves" that we read about can probably manipulate the release, and steps to prevent this should be considered.

[laugh]

I do remember numerous kidnappings where trapped victims died in the trunk, that's why I made the incorrect connection wrt reason for the law. Given the lack of intellectual capacity amongst those that pass these laws, reminding them of the trunk release might result in new law requiring both locked case and locked trunk. Better to leave them ignorant!

What is the law about leaving them in the trunk while running and errand or for a few hours outside of your house? A LEO told me I couldn't I said I he was wrong. I told him to read the LAW again. He's family so I left it at that

You are correct. Prior to the 1998 law, it was widely believed (due to wording in law back then) that you could NEVER legally leave an unloaded handgun in a car (even in a locked case), not even for 1 second. The 1998 law, as bad as it is, removed this ambiguity from the law but the message never got out to a lot of officers out there.

Last person that I have personal knowledge of that got pulled over while transporting: Guy in a 'Vette convertible, was pulled over on his way to a Trap shoot (he was speeding).
I drive a Miata so there is no way my Mosin will fit in the trunk. I have nowhere else to put it except in a locked case in the passenger seat. I figure I'll slap some music store and guitar manufacturer stickers on the case just to be a little more under the radar.

What about transport of handgun under Class A LTC? I thought the statute just said must be under direct control?

If a "firearm" (i.e. handgun, Mass definition) is being transported, it must be under your direct control, or locked up as discussed above.

If you're making a trip to the range with 5 handguns, you could, in theory, drape them about yourself, and be in compliance, but most will put the extras in an appropriate, lawful container.

If a "firearm" (i.e. handgun, Mass definition) is being transported, it must be under your direct control, or locked up as discussed above.

I understand that that is what we do but I seem to recall the statute just using the term "direct control" for LTC A. If not under direct control, presumably you flip into storage mode?

The interwebs should not be relied upon for legal advice.

You should read the laws.

IANAL, and all that.

That being said, if it's a handgun, no. A trigger lock is not acceptable for transport of a handgun that is not under your direct control; you must have a locked case, or other secure container. There are no statutory definitions of "secure container", so use your best judgment; exercise Massprudence, and think, "How can I get jammed up, doing it this way?"

No trunk in my pick em up truck, so they go in a locked hard case on the back seat... under a blanket... with stuffed animals on top wearing sunglasses.

I have one of those hammock dog seat covers in my truck. The guns go on the floor out of sight.

i am sorry it is a 22cal rifle the bummer is i cant transport on my motorcyle to the range

You are not statutorily prohibited from doing so; though many would agree that a rifle on a MC would attract attention. If it's non-large-capacity, you don't need a lock....unloaded is legally fine.

- - - Updated - - -

I have one of those hammock dog seat covers in my truck. The guns go on the floor out of sight.

It's telling that a LEO feels compelled to go to these lengths!

[laugh]

I'm thinking of buying a Ruger 10-22 carbine if I can ever find ammo. How would I transport in a pick up?

unload then put in soft bag with a combo luggage lock on the zipper then put it behind the seat. I know it seems silly, but that's all it takes to be compliant with the Mass law. It's a BS law but not lets not over complicate it.

Is it a large capacity long gun?

If yes, then a locked case; if no, it just has to be unloaded - but AnotherDavid's way is "Massprudent".

Also, don't run red lights.

The debate over whether or not a 10/22 is "large capacity" or not is both lively and stupid.

Don,

No I tell people that LEGALLY (in MA):

- You can throw your low capacity long guns in a rifle rack in the back of your pickup, throw them on the back seat of your car, etc. (just must be unloaded),
- You can throw ANY unloaded gun (handgun, large-cap rifles/shotguns) loose in your locked trunk,
- However you won't like the undesired attention you will get with the first option above (and no most cops in MA are unaware that this is legal),
- The second option will likely damage your gun and you may not want to do this, but again, it's legal. Also again many cops may not realize this.

Keep in mind at my Hunter Ed class a few months ago, the EPO told everyone that to transport low capacity long guns in a MV either required a locked hard case or if it was a soft case it required a trigger lock! Neither is true, but this is what many LEOs believe. Thus, the desire to keep everything hidden from view and avoid conflict with potentially ignorant people.

HOLY THREAD REVIVAL BATMAN!

Question for the above quote from LenS.
Low capacity long guns (let's say an O/U shotgun so we're on the same page) can be in your backseat, not in a case, if unloaded.

Now let's say you make a stop and need to exit the vehicle, now that that shotgun is "out of your direct control" does it now need to be locked up?
What if there is an unlicensed person or minor in the car with you?
Are the storage requirements different for people with an FID card?

HOLY THREAD REVIVAL BATMAN!

Question for the above quote from LenS.
Low capacity long guns (let's say an O/U shotgun so we're on the same page) can be in your backseat, not in a case, if unloaded.

Now let's say you make a stop and need to exit the vehicle, now that that shotgun is "out of your direct control" does it now need to be locked up?
What if there is an unlicensed person or minor in the car with you?
Are the storage requirements different for people with an FID card?

- Legally, correct but see the Methuen case of the kid with the FID - guns and FID confiscated even though perfectly legal.
- Legally a trigger lock or cable lock is sufficient (storage) but many LEOs look at a car and because it is mobile they claim "transportation" (but thus wouldn't need anything legally). Yes, in a locked case or locked trunk avoids hassle and perhaps ILLEGAL issues (see Methuen case).
- If any unlicensed person is in the car, (IANAL) I'd say this all changes. Since you can't allow any unlicensed person access to guns/ammo except under DIRECT SUPERVISION per MGL, LE would look at this as an illegal act in almost all cases.
- No, as storage law covers all guns and all classes of permits the same.

- Legally, correct but see the Methuen case of the kid with the FID - guns and FID confiscated even though perfectly legal.
- Legally a trigger lock or cable lock is sufficient (storage) but many LEOs look at a car and because it is mobile they claim "transportation" (but thus wouldn't need anything legally). Yes, in a locked case or locked trunk avoids hassle and perhaps ILLEGAL issues (see Methuen case).
- If any unlicensed person is in the car, (IANAL) I'd say this all changes. Since you can't allow any unlicensed person access to guns/ammo except under DIRECT SUPERVISION per MGL, LE would look at this as an illegal act in almost all cases.
- No, as storage law covers all guns and all classes of permits the same.

Thanks Len!

unless the cop has reason to search your vehicle and you unlock the trunk, now the gun is no longer in a locked trunk.... now he's got ya.....

I'm willing to roll those dice.

The dice I'm not willing to roll centers around keeping an unlocked, uncased, non-large capacity gun in the passenger compartment. At least not in MA.

In CT, I sometimes do it as a matter of convenience. Particularly when I'm coming back from hunting. Gun is dirty and/or wet. The best place for it is in the passenger seat with the butt in the footwell getting heat blasted on it until its warm and dry. I used to have a gun rack zip tied to the cargo cage in my Subaru wagon. It worked very well. And when it wasn't hunting season, the rack made a great place to hang your drycleaning. It was on the interior side of the cage since the dirty/wet dog was often on the cargo side of it.

Back
Top Bottom