• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

WW2 1911

ben1

NES Member
Has anyone dealt with a 1911 that was inherited from a now deceased WW2 vet that has no serial numbers. Im looking into this for my friend and through my research online at a 1911 forum it seems the consensus is the best thing to do is strip it down and turn in the frame. Then acquire a new 1911 frame that you can build off of with the other parts. Some people were saying they had heard there was a process to go through with the ATF to get a new serial number where they knew a lot of GIs removed the serial numbers for these but there was a lot of backlash that it was all rumors and didn't actually happen. Has anyone here dealt with this.

Have a real 1911 expert check it first. Believe it or not, it could be something rare like an experimental gun or something.

Don‘t turn anything in to anyone. I’d love to see pics if available, but I also understand not wanting to post them on a public forum.

Was it '68 when firearms required serial #'s?

Sit on it, keep it as a collectable, but do not turn that in.
Yes. But I was reading all Colt 1911s had them. Although even that is disputed. I guess theres “lunch box” guns made from random factory parts by the factory workers and ones that may have been issued to OSS agents without markings to identify them. Its been really interesting researching it all. I know my friend is going to want to make sure its done whatever the up and up route is which I think is going to be strip it and make a new one with a legit frame. It sucks they don't make a route for this to be handled so it can stay intact for the pure historical part. But then again now a days they are trying to erase history.

I have seen a few take home guns 1911s that had serial numbers and or US Property markings scrubbed. The person who liberated the gun was afraid of the government coming after them....lol

I have seen a few take home guns 1911s that had serial numbers and or US Property markings scrubbed. The person who liberated the gun was afraid of the government coming after them....lol
Thats what I think happened in this case. After the GI liberated Europe from the Nazis they may have liberated this. The US Property marking is still on it though. What did the people end up doing with theirs that you saw?

are there any signs it was machined (milled, belt sander, grinder, etc) or tool marks from a file?

I would not turn it in or destroy it, but I would also not want to risk some BS charge for possession of a gun with an obliterated SN either

What is the legality of re-numbering/ re stamping a frame?

@Greg Derr would be who I would ask unofficially

PS since there was no requirement to serialize a firearm prior to 1968, one might argue that if the SN was removed prior to 1968 no crime was committed and possession is legal

What is the finish on the gun?

replacement frame non serialized is a possible answer

I just told them what they had and they went on their merry way
Thats what I think happened in this case. After the GI liberated Europe from the Nazis they may have liberated this. The US Property marking is still on it though. What did the people end up doing with theirs that you saw?

This happens a lot. If the firearm was originally manufactured with a serial number, it must have one. Now you can apply to the ATF *(local) office for an Order 3310.4C. That will allow for a new serial number to be engraved on the firearm. You must show the firearm to the ATF before hand and after the serial number is applied ( this is provided there was no illegal intent on the part of the owner) The new serial number must be 1/16th tall and to the specified depth of the ATF.

Back
Top Bottom