• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Worcester - LTC A, Restrictions: None

On what grounds? The example used in this thread (Worcester) issues class A... they just happen to be restricted. As much as I don't agree with it, the licensing authority is fully within their legal bounds to do so.

I'm pretty sure any legal action would have to be on Constitutional/Heller/McDonald grounds. While chief's discretion is currently within the bounds of MA law, it's Unconsititutional.

I'm pretty sure any legal action would have to be on Constitutional/Heller/McDonald grounds. While chief's discretion is currently within the bounds of MA law, it's Unconsititutional.

But will take years and at least $1M to challenge.

On what grounds? The example used in this thread (Worcester) issues class A... they just happen to be restricted. As much as I don't agree with it, the licensing authority is fully within their legal bounds to do so.

the chief has no right to decide if the 2nd amendment applies to a an individual & my point is that they should fight this legally. the fact that 1 law abiding citizen can get a class a no restrictions but another cant is the absurd part. what makes one better than the other? all men are created equal (unless your friends with the chief or local politicians).

Maybe Worcester has changed its ways...

First time applicant in my 30's. Just recently picked up my LTC A with no restrictions from WPD. I didn't do anything special, or know anyone special. Just followed the application instructions and stated I wanted an LTC A for home defense and range shooting.

The issue date is almost exactly 8 weeks from my application date. I called at 8 weeks, but he didn't see it around, so I called back at 10 weeks and it was ready.

I only ever dealt with the guy in the licensing office. He was a pleasure to deal with. Asked me a few basic questions when I submitted my application, but not one question related to why I wanted the license.

Maybe Worcester has changed its ways...

First time applicant in my 30's. Just recently picked up my LTC A with no restrictions from WPD. I didn't do anything special, or know anyone special. Just followed the application instructions and stated I wanted an LTC A for home defense and range shooting.

The issue date is almost exactly 8 weeks from my application date. I called at 8 weeks, but he didn't see it around, so I called back at 10 weeks and it was ready.

I only ever dealt with the guy in the licensing office. He was a pleasure to deal with. Asked me a few basic questions when I submitted my application, but not one question related to why I wanted the license.

thats great & the way it should be. worcester pd needs to worry about the bad guys w/ guns & knives. seems like every week you hear about stabbings & shootings.

the chief has no right to decide if the 2nd amendment applies to a an individual & my point is that they should fight this legally. the fact that 1 law abiding citizen can get a class a no restrictions but another cant is the absurd part. what makes one better than the other? all men are created equal (unless your friends with the chief or local politicians).
The chief has every right to do this. Licenses are on a case to case basis. That is why they do the face to face interview. If the chief is speaking to someone and they seem very juvenile and don't seem to have the maturity level to cary a firearm then they don't deserve a license. The 2nd amendment has been twisted to much that they can do pretty much anything they want now other than refuse the right to apply for a firearms license. Are you ok with a local gang member with no record yet applying for a license and getting it right then and there without question? I am not. I have a completely clean record and I have been shooting with my friend and a local LEO for about 2 years now and I expect to have to wait the year before my license can have no restrictions.

The chief has every right to do this. Licenses are on a case to case basis. That is why they do the face to face interview. If the chief is speaking to someone and they seem very juvenile and don't seem to have the maturity level to cary a firearm then they don't deserve a license. The 2nd amendment has been twisted to much that they can do pretty much anything they want now other than refuse the right to apply for a firearms license. Are you ok with a local gang member with no record yet applying for a license and getting it right then and there without question? I am not. I have a completely clean record and I have been shooting with my friend and a local LEO for about 2 years now and I expect to have to wait the year before my license can have no restrictions.

Um... plenty of other states do this and don't have a problem. Hell, plenty of towns in MA issue unrestricted licenses to people when they first apply without it being any big deal(assuming their record is clean). Do you hear of a lot of people in this state or any other that get their license and then immediately run out, buy a gun and commit crimes with it? Because I can't think of one. Criminals will get guns from other criminals. No career criminal (gang member) would even use a gun they obtained legally, it would be way to easy to trace back to them.

You're opinion is just as bad as the MA AGs office.

Last edited:

Would you be okay having to interview with a government official before getting a restricted license to vote? Or attend church? Speak your mind? Be secure in your person and possessions?

[rolleyes]

SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED means exactly that!

I'm buying a new set of kitchen knives. Do I need to tell my chief, and come in to speak with him? Do I need to submit a letter from my psychiatrist to Bed, Bath and Beyond in order to complete the sale? Knives are dangerous, you know, I'm worried someone will go on a stabbing spree in the parking lot...[rolleyes]

It's not a problem as long as you limit your purchases to anti-stab knives:

anti-stab-knife.jpg

http://gizmodo.com/5291234/first-anti+stab-knife-prevents-deadly-kitchen-accidents

Um... plenty of other states do this and don't have a problem. Hell, plenty of towns in MA issue unrestricted licenses to people when they first apply without it being any big deal(assuming their record is clean). Do you hear of a lot of people in this state or any other that get their license and then immediately run out, buy a gun and commit crimes with it? Because I can't think of one. Criminals will get guns from other criminals. No career criminal (gang member) would even use a gun they obtained legally, it would be way to easy to trace back to them.

You're opinion is just as bad as the MA AGs office.

I know the real life facts. I was referring to how the city sees the situation. I lived on Bolton and its a no restriction town. I now live in Worcester and expect that I will have to wait. I should have added that it wasnt my personal opinion but how the city looks at it as helping keep crime down.

...If the chief is speaking to someone and they seem very juvenile and don't seem to have the maturity level to cary a firearm then they don't deserve a license.

That's your opinion, and your welcome to it, but I think you'll find you are in the minority here.

Are you ok with a local gang member with no record yet applying for a license and getting it right then and there without question? I am not.

Yes, I'm OK with that.

Just so I understand correctly, you're in favor of denying someone with no criminal record their 2A rights based on whom they associate with and what they might do in the future?

Just so I understand correctly, you're in favor of denying someone with no criminal record their 2A rights based on whom they associate with and what they might do in the future?

Ahhh, that's the liberal modus operandi- Something might happen, so we'd better restrict, even better, outlaw it.

No like I said in my second post. Thats how I think the city views the subject. If your clean you can get the license as long as you don't seem immature or have any mental history. my record is clean and IM just saying that Im expecting to have to wait because it is how the city works.

No like I said in my second post. Thats how I think the city views the subject. If your clean you can get the license as long as you don't seem immature or have any mental history. my record is clean and IM just saying that Im expecting to have to wait because it is how the city works.

The fact that you are willing to "wait" to exercise a civil right shows the problem. Simply moving a few miles means you can get an unrestricted licnese and you are ok with this because thats "how the city works"???

And who are you or anyone else able to judge maturity? I dont care if they walk in with pants around their ankles, hat backwards, screaming "yo yo yo, where's my gat license?" It should NOT be anyones call IMO. Give them the license unrestricted and be done with it.

Answer this one question for me: What in particular makes a chief of police qualified more than any other joe schmoe to assess whether you "deserve" a license. In your answer, please note it's entirely likely the chief has not driven a marked cruiser and answered a call for the past 5 years plus the term of his tenure.

I look forward to your well thought out repsonse.

Worcester?... Really?!

Hi All:

This thread piqued my interest since I've had "Sporting and Target" from Worcester since early 2009.

I'm stunned that "regular people" have recently gotten ALPs from Worcester. Stunned,
but very happy for you. Congratulations.

One previous poster referred to a mandatory one year wait for ALP in Worcester. Wow... That's news to me. I've always been told that on regular renewal (2014 for me) one might, if very lucky, get one's restrictions lifted.

Has anyone in recent history successfully petitioned WPD for early renewal with upgrade to ALP? If so, would you consider sharing your winning approach to it?

Thank you.

Tom

PS Although my post total is nil, I've been an almost daily reader of NES for 3 years and have learned a tremendous amount from you all. I still consider myself a shooting newbie and the folks on this site are an outstanding resource... Thanks to Derek, mods and all the hardcore members here.

Does Worcester require letters of recomendation and interviews for renewals? That seems like a waste of everyones time after the first application.

No interview, if your are renewing form a different issuing town you will need two letters of recomendation on bussiness letterhead.

Back
Top Bottom