Wicked Weather

TonyD

One Shot One Maggie's Drawers
It's been raining for about 6 days straight with a few reprieves during the day. Two days ago we had a tropical storm move through and now a low coming from FL.

The houses in our neighborhood are built around small lakes and is a very nice community. However, they are up nearly six feet! We sit a little higher than most but at the moment have about another 2 1/2 feet before it comes in the back porch.

Now, normally I would say it's time to think about abandoning this post. However, the only road in or out of our neighborhood is under 5 feet of water as the lakes on either side of the road have now merged into one. All of houses on that side are flooded.

Oh, did I mention we just had a tornado come through an hour ago about 1/2 mile from the house?

I think I'll keep the snow, thank you very much. It may get cold up here, and we actually do get Thunderstorms or an occasional tornado, but most of the time, it's tolerable.

I've never found any place in the US better to live than New England. Here's some of my reasons:

Never have really long periods of hot,

Never have really long periods of cold,

Never have really long periods of lots of snow,

Don't suffer from prolong repeated droughts

Don't have consistantly frequent flooding rains. When we do have heavy rains, it just disappears and does't wash away everything like in other sections of the country.

Don't get hit by every hurricane that forms in the Atlantic like Fla and NC

Don't have mud slides

Don't have huge forest fires every year

Don't get run over by tornados year after year

Don't have damaging earthquakes.

I could probably think of more if I tried.

NE is not perfect but it is a lot more moderate in all weather patterns than most of the country.

If we could only get politicians to be more moderate.....

I happened to be in your lovely state last May and it was colder than a well-diggers ass! No thanks. This is a rarity and it soon shall pass.

I'll be having cook-outs and shooting rifle matches while you're shoveling snow.

Shoot much in January?

I used to be a Bench Rest Shooter, remember. Shot in Winter Leagues in Millerton, NY and Dunham's Bay, NY (near Lake George).

And the gas grill NEVER gets put up.

Point well taken, though, that's why I responded like I did to Pilgrim.

Does take a little more time and a little more gas to cook a steak on the grill in the dead of February...but that makes it tast oh so much better!

Here's the delemma, Stay here and enjoy all the weather benefits, or move to a red-state and either cook my ass off, or say goodbye to the ocean.

And I'm a dang Marine Biologist, so we know I won't be found to far into the mountains!

Arrrrr

-Weer'd Beard

After living in Vegas for 3 years it made me realize that I actually loved New Englands weather.

But unfortunately New England has another force of nature to worry about, taxes. Sometimes I think I would rather be back in the desert.

I live on the coast and, yes Nickle, we shoot all year. In fact, I just made the schedule for 2006 to send to the NRA, it's the first Saturday in Jan.

Moved from Portland, ME to Medford, MA and my rent SKYROCKETED.

I sometimes wish I could go back for the cost of living.....but I relized that every day I let pass the closer Portland is looking like Bean-Town.

At least the roads don't suck that much!

Arrrrr

-Weer'd Beard

TonyD said:
I'll be having cook-outs and shooting rifle matches while you're shoveling snow.

Who says we don't have cook-outs all year in Maine? :)
TwoLights.jpg

Also shoot some matches, but I don't have pictures of those at the moment.

TonyD said:
I live on the coast and, yes Nickle, we shoot all year. In fact, I just made the schedule for 2006 to send to the NRA, it's the first Saturday in Jan.

Yeah, we used to start about the 2nd or 3rd Sunday, every year.

That's why I don't like Leupold scopes, but swear by steel tubed Weaver's or Bausch and Lomb. Sure sucks making a parralax adjustment AND zero change at -20 degrees. Also fun watching the guys using H322 or T322 in their 6 PPC's. That stuff doesn't light well in the cold, and therefore causes keyholing. I used 4895 myself, some folks used N201.

it was colder than a well-diggers ass!

TonyD.
When you're from Ga, just about everywhere else meets that description !

I was in Atlanta one January when the temp hit 28 degrees and 1/4 inch of snow fell. The highways were a mess, wrecks everywhere.

The municipal workers had the day off because their contract said they didn't have to work because below 30 was considered too cold to be outside !

Nickle, I agree VT winters might be a little worse than mine but I said 'really long periods'. The ground isn't covered in October and still white in May - usually.

I love VT. Spend all the time I can there, and would move there in a minute if it weren't for family obligations.

What part are you from? I've been trying to visit every town/village in the state and join the 252 (?) club. I've been doing it in this car too! I'm probably 3/4 down the list of 252 cities/towns and villages.

Nearly bought 20 acres on a mountain but the deal fell through.

I LOVE VT !!!

and yes I shoot year round - even in the snow.

mt.jpg

Pilgrim said:
Never have really long periods of lots of snow,

Uh... Pilgrim, where were you the winter before last? the little Loch Ness Monster lawn ornament in my front yard disappeared the day before Thanksgiving and didn't show her head again until sometime in late April or so! (this was in Marlboro, MA... not usually known for it's weather... :) )

Ross

I live in New Haven (near Middlebury) and work in Colchester (near Burlington).

I know a few of the 252 towns you won't get to with that. But, most of them you can.

If it'll go up Burke Mt or over Middlebury Gap to name a few, it'll go most everywhere.

I've even Forded streams and had river water over the running boards while taking dirt logging roads up mountains.

I've put maybe 5,000 miles on it over Vt roads, mostly dirt roads. I often come to a split in the dirt road and ask my wife which way do we go and her answer is always, "Which one goes up?"

It's the original SUV !

If you have a place you think it won't go, let me know and I'll meet you there. As I said, I LOVE VT !

Having lived on the west coast,I much prefer New England. I love the 4 seasons,and wouldn't trade it for anything. Although sometimes the snow can go.

Pilgrim said:
it was colder than a well-diggers ass!

TonyD.
When you're from Ga, just about everywhere else meets that description !

I was in Atlanta one January when the temp hit 28 degrees and 1/4 inch of snow fell. The highways were a mess, wrecks everywhere.

The municipal workers had the day off because their contract said they didn't have to work because below 30 was considered too cold to be outside !

Nickle, I agree VT winters might be a little worse than mine but I said 'really long periods'. The ground isn't covered in October and still white in May - usually.

I love VT. Spend all the time I can there, and would move there in a minute if it weren't for family obligations.

What part are you from? I've been trying to visit every town/village in the state and join the 252 (?) club. I've been doing it in this car too! I'm probably 3/4 down the list of 252 cities/towns and villages.

Nearly bought 20 acres on a mountain but the deal fell through.

I LOVE VT !!!

and yes I shoot year round - even in the snow.

mt.jpg

We're 5 hours south of Atlanta and the weather is quite a difference between the two. I grew up in the midwest and learned to drive on snow and ice. It's funny to watch a town shut down 'cause of a 1/4". However, they rarely have the equipment to make it safe, or the drivers who can handle it.

We're down to about 2 feet from critical. Wife decided to chance going through the water to get home. Didn't listen to me about going slow, riding the brakes and keeping engine RPM up. Had to push her car with mine after she stalled 100 yards from the house. Looks like the electronics are bust. Why won't they listen??

cdkayak said:
Sorry to hear about the car. I hope the water starts to subside pretty soon.

CD

Me, too. However, it's just starting to get fun. Already have my dive gear out and inventoried, ALICE pack, packed. I'm good to go! The water is your friend!

You don't keep your ruck packed? You're getting soft. (I don't know whether to call you young man or old man, but I'm 50, you pick; my ruck is usually packed.)

Nickle said:
You don't keep your ruck packed? You're getting soft. (I don't know whether to call you young man or old man, but I'm 50, you pick; my ruck is usually packed.)

The point was that my ALICE pack is always packed, weapons and duece gear. Water gear is always at the ready but stowed.

Back
Top Bottom