Henry color case hardened or all weather?

just because is ok.
marlin-45-70-scope-e1598506555690.jpg
That sling must have been quite a project.

I’m a stainless and chrome guy (hate case hardened) so I vote for all weather. Mainly because I have the all weather 44 mag lol. Very durable when I’m deer hunting and it’s raining or snowing. Or when I lay it on the ground

I’m a stainless and chrome guy (hate case hardened) so I vote for all weather. Mainly because I have the all weather 44 mag lol. Very durable when I’m deer hunting and it’s raining or snowing. Or when I lay it on the ground
Is yours a Henry if so how do you like it?
The all weather appeals to me for the sole reason of its not a high maintenance girl. Just clean it and rub a little oil on it and put it away till next time.
If I go camping I don’t have to worry about cold air dew, or if it’s raining, since I don’t have any gun that would handle that well it’s another tick towards all weather.
However my big boy.357 has filled that role for now but I almost cry when I pick it up and it’s all wet with dew.
Note I am camping and hanging out, not hunting I just like to have a rifle when I’m out in the woods hanging with my friends by a fire.

Is yours a Henry if so how do you like it?
The all weather appeals to me for the sole reason of its not a high maintenance girl. Just clean it and rub a little oil on it and put it away till next time.
If I go camping I don’t have to worry about cold air dew, or if it’s raining, since I don’t have any gun that would handle that well it’s another tick towards all weather.
However my big boy.357 has filled that role for now but I almost cry when I pick it up and it’s all wet with dew.
Note I am camping and hanging out, not hunting I just like to have a rifle when I’m out in the woods hanging with my friends by a fire.
Yup Henry. Got it in 2017 or so. Love it. Been sitting in the pouring rain with it. I did have a minor issue with the stock where it meets the receiver when it got wet. It started cracking a bit - VERY small. Called Henry and they sent me a whole new stock and forend for free. I haven’t swapped it out yet as I figured I’ll keep using this and then have a backup.
It’s very accurate, smooth action, great trigger. No complaints from me

I like the look of both and I don’t think you’ll go wrong with either… something about the color case hardened has a lot of sex-appeal to me… 🤷🏻‍♂️

I paid $$$ to get my Ruger Mark IV color case hardened by Turnbull, just because… ultimately, I’m into heirloom firearms that I hope to pass down some day and I wanted this to be one of them…

I guess what I’m saying is, what do you want yours to be?

View attachment 720783
Real shame with the Creekside Gun Ship in Holcomb, NY closed; used to go there as soon as I was old enough to drive to use their range (public and free).

I'd get an 1886 but of the options you listed, I'd pick the case hardened straight stock and add a Skinner peep sight. It's not that one will work better than the other. It's purely a matter of looks.

Entry level Skinner peep sight. No modifications to the front sight and no drilling required. Fits in the factory dovetail for the original buckhorn sight. They also offer receiver mounted sights which may require a front sight adjustment. This sight has really improved my accuracy with the rifle. Henry's customer service is also top notch, when I asked them what the thread pitch was for the original buckhorn sight mounting screws, as they were now exposed and I wanted to fill them, they sent me several set screws free of charge to finish it off.
20191030_213623.jpg

The only advantage I see with receiver vs dovetail mounted peep sight is a much longer sight radius. I have a receiver mounted one on a Marlin 1894 and a dovetail mounted one on a Remington model 14. The dovetail mounted one comes with a larger aperture.

I like the look of case hardened on a lever, done by some manufacturers like Winchester, Turnbull, Dickenson Shotguns...etc.

Others....like Henry and some of the the others.....the look just doesn't pop. I think in Henry's case color is because they leave it dull. I think color case hardening needs to be polished before hand, or have a layer of finish or something over it to pop.

There is a huge difference in a Winchester or Turnbull case color vs. Henry's which wouldn't make me pay extra for it.

Back
Top Bottom