Henry color case hardened or all weather?

Laderbuilt

NES Member
So I’ve sort of settled on my next firearm purchase.
To state I have absolutely no need for another gun or the caliber I am after. I want because it gives me the “fizz” for some reason.

1: I know I want a rifle in 45/70.
2: I am a huge fan/sucker for lever action.
3: I Fricken love my Henry rifles I already own.
4: My great debate is over esthetics.
5: I question if there is any other pros or cons with the two models I’m after.

The color case hardened rifle reminds me of a calico cat or a brindled colored dog, Of which I love.
However the all weather seems like a rough and tuff rifle that can be ridden hard and put away wet so the speak.
So I am reaching out to the group to see if there is something I should consider to either one of those rifles or perhaps another manufacturer I should consider.
I have attached links below to the two I’m torn between.
For the all weather I can see myself putting on some kind of red dot or the like, and for the case hardened I may just leave plain.

Color case

All weather.

I like the look of both and I don’t think you’ll go wrong with either… something about the color case hardened has a lot of sex-appeal to me… 🤷🏻‍♂️

I paid $$$ to get my Ruger Mark IV color case hardened by Turnbull, just because… ultimately, I’m into heirloom firearms that I hope to pass down some day and I wanted this to be one of them…

I guess what I’m saying is, what do you want yours to be?

9C51D7F4-0462-46F1-9C01-3758C1B2E7FC.jpeg

i would go with color, even if all-weather is probably more practically justified. just think this gun should be in a proper wood color.
also, not sure why would anybody put a modern scope on that gun, that brings to question the necessity of the whole all-weather design with the rail.

i would go with color, even if all-weather is probably more practically justified. just think this gun should be in a proper wood color.
also, not sure why would anybody put a modern scope on that gun
Because their eyes aren't what they used to be. Or, because semi-buckhorns and a gold dot suck. Or, because a red dot is faster.

Or, just because:
9386392_1.jpg

also, not sure why would anybody put a modern scope on that gun, that brings to question the necessity of the whole all-weather design with the rail.
Thanks for your input, to be honest I put a scope on my big boy just because I could and I love it. But the all weather I feel would look good with some kind of optic. I agree the case hardened should be left as is.

Because their eyes aren't what they used to be. Or, because semi-buckhorns and a gold dot suck. Or, because a red dot is faster.

Or, just because:
9386392_1.jpg
Man that is some old school cool look. Reminds me of a John Wayne movie where one of his sons has a automatic pistol and how the old way of thinking was towards it.

For the color case hardened is there any special care to be taken with them over a standard finish. (I assume not)

case hardened

How many times are you going to be slogging it around in swamps or high humidity that it will start rusting, especially if it has a light coat of silicone on it.... I used to have silicone impregnated cloths I'd wipe my revolvers down with, they never rusted

OP - outside of being a "boat gun" at sea, I cannot see any point in an "all weather" gun. I'd rather have a blued gun with rust spots than a "sensible" gun.

Man that is some old school cool look. Reminds me of a John Wayne movie where one of his sons has a automatic pistol and how the old way of thinking was towards it.
"Big Jake"

case hardened

How many times are you going to be slogging it around in swamps or high humidity that it will start rusting, especially if it has a light coat of silicone on it.... I used to have silicone impregnated cloths I'd wipe my revolvers down with, they never rusted
Case hardened coloring that has been ruined by blood, sweat and moisture while hunting still looks better than stainless steel.

Christ almighty, your like a devil on my shoulder whispering bad thoughts into my ears trying to send my soul to the depths of hell. If I bought both my wife might actually kill me thus sending me to hell. Lol. But I like the way you think.

OK, so if money and whatever our spouses would say is not a consideration, I would personally buy the CCH 45-70 and if you wanted an all-weather lever rifle with a dot, I would get it in .38/.357 because it seems to me that you wouldn't be plinking with 45-70.

I love the case hardened look!! That stainless with the laminated ain’t bad either…. But generally speaking case hardened looks way cooler than stainless.

One more thing that has me leaning even more towards the CCH is that octagon barrel. I love that on my golden boy.

Henry now owns Skinner sights. They make a great peep sight that fits the Henry rifle. Big improvement over the standard buckhorn style sight if you're concerned with keeping the old school appearance.

I did not know that so thank you! That would look more appropriate as well.
Another item I want in it is a really nice sling

I have the color case hardened in 38/357, and love it. I did however get a scratch in it at some point, but not the end of the world.

View attachment 720830

Ended up getting the matching case hardened large lever loop as well.

View attachment 720831
Well, now that you have ruined it with a scratch. I could scrape together $1000 and take it off your hands.....LOL That is a beauty right there

I have no intention of hunting with it. However I do like to get things that are just plain durable,
I may not think I’d hunt with it, but if I took up hunting out of need then I would use it
(that’s my mentality) but the same goes for any gun I already own. It’s a tool to be used not just played with.
At the same time I recognize while I would if needed it is very unlikely.

case hardened

+1

I slog around in nasty weather all day long with blued and/or case hardened shotguns. At end of day I always wipe down with G96 or RemOil and have never had a speck of rust.

Back
Top Bottom