Why is S&W giving me such a hard time? ...and lying

I have the same gun, and yes, that 10th round is a bitch to squeeze into the mag. With some practice and lots of elbow grease, it goes in. When you load the mag with the slide locked back, the slide returns by itself more often than not.

The first time that happened to me at the range, I was a little shocked. After a while, I realized it happens about 1/2 the time..
Depending on how hard you push it up in there.. If released like that ALL the time, I wouldn't mind. But at random..?. Not what I expected.

I recently purchased a new S&W Pro Series 1911 9mm. It did not function reliably from the box, continuous failure to extract. It is currently at S&W for the second time since the "repaired" pistol did not function any better than it did before the first "repair". There is much more to this story that I may post about if I ever get a functioning pistol back from them. Bottom line is I am very dissatisfied with both their product and their customer/repair service and will not be purchasing anything from S&W again.

I've owned many Smith's their customer service and warranty used to be the best in the industry.

They used to have many gunsmith's and skilled craftsmen on the payroll.

Due to the high demand of of guns they now hire a lot of temporary employees. Less pay, no benefits.

The older more skilled polishers, machinists, and gunsmiths are all retiring or gone and they don't seem to have a program in place to capture their knowledge or skills.

It's unfortunate but the reality is less skilled people built your gun and less skilled people are fixing your gun.

Smith-Wesson-Ships-Millionth-MP-Shield-Pistol.jpg

Today it's all about the numbers.

Your best bet is to wipe your ass with the mag,and just send it back stating it works kinda shitty in your gun.

I recently purchased a new S&W Pro Series 1911 9mm. It did not function reliably from the box, continuous failure to extract. It is currently at S&W for the second time since the "repaired" pistol did not function any better than it did before the first "repair". There is much more to this story that I may post about if I ever get a functioning pistol back from them. Bottom line is I am very dissatisfied with both their product and their customer/repair service and will not be purchasing anything from S&W again.

These guns are better off going to a 1911 gunsmith than S&W. 80% of the people that bought those guns have had issues.

LOL. go away.

To the adults here. I called and was directed to a manager. I am now going up the chain and waiting on a call back from someone higher up. The word is that it is "company policy" from their legal department despite the fact that it is not against the law. No real good answer other than they want me to go thru the dealer.

Lastly, I understand that some of you are wicked cool and like to trash their 10 rounders. Nothing wrong with that if it satisfies your inner desire destroy something. However, this rifle is still a product and the mag is defective. Rather than tossing it, I would not mind a replacement. I paid for it so why not. The fact that they are completely clueless is why I am making more of it. Maybe it will result in them learning the law so customers don't have to deal with this BS.

...and if you want to donate you 10 rounders to me than I will be more than happy to use them along with my 30 round pre-bans.

- - - Updated - - -

Another individual with principles! :)

I'm starting to wonder if you're the same guy that came here complaining about tooling marks on the inside of his production Beretta

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My M&P 9mm (range kit version) and my M&P Sport AR, had problems, because the S&W mags were built to hold only 9.8 rounds..
It's very hard to get that 10th round in the mag.. Just does not want to go in. (I use a UpLula for the 9mm).

When the magazines are new this true. Shoot them some and the 10th round will go in. I have 10 of the 10 round magazines and they have been used a lot over the past couple of years and I have no problems inserting the 10th. round. I would like some factual data concerning "the mags were built to only hold 9.8 rounds". I call B/S on this one.

Very hard to insert a fully loaded 10rnd 9mm mag, since the top round can not be depressed more than 0.2 mm..
If the slide is locked back, it loads normally, like a regular firearm.
Once again I have not had any problems inserting full 10 round magazines and I do it all the time. I have shot thousands of rounds in the last year (IDPA) using many full 10 round magazines and just haven't seen this is as a problem. If you want to talk about a problem, I will say inserting a full 8 round magazine into my Shield is more of a problem.

As far as the slide releasing, moving forward and loading a round, this can and will happen when the magazine is NOT fully loaded and it can and will happen on the larger capacity magazines. This is a combination of physics and design and really has nothing to do with the capacity of the magazine.

These guns are better off going to a 1911 gunsmith than S&W. 80% of the people that bought those guns have had issues.

I wish I had seen a comment like yours when I asked "Which 1911 9mm to buy" in an earlier thread I started. All the comments on the S&W were quite positive. I guess it was the 20% that had no problems who replied.

It was bought as a fun range gun, so it will go back to S&W as many times as necessary to get it running reliably, but, no more S&W for me.

When the magazines are new this true. Shoot them some and the 10th round will go in. I have 10 of the 10 round magazines and they have been used a lot over the past couple of years and I have no problems inserting the 10th. round. I would like some factual data concerning "the mags were built to only hold 9.8 rounds". I call B/S on this one.

Once again I have not had any problems inserting full 10 round magazines and I do it all the time. I have shot thousands of rounds in the last year (IDPA) using many full 10 round magazines and just haven't seen this is as a problem. If you want to talk about a problem, I will say inserting a full 8 round magazine into my Shield is more of a problem.

As far as the slide releasing, moving forward and loading a round, this can and will happen when the magazine is NOT fully loaded and it can and will happen on the larger capacity magazines. This is a combination of physics and design and really has nothing to do with the capacity of the magazine.

Your right! After a couple of years, 2 of my 3 mags are a lot easier to fully load. Maybe in another two years, all of them will be easy to load.. :)
But, I'm so used to using them with 9 rounds, I'll likely just stick with using 9.. Unless I move to another state.. LOL!
As to the random slide self-releases, I've learned to insert the mags with a lighter touch, so it doesn't self-load unexpectedly.

I've owned many Smith's their customer service and warranty used to be the best in the industry.

They used to have many gunsmith's and skilled craftsmen on the payroll.

Due to the high demand of of guns they now hire a lot of temporary employees. Less pay, no benefits.

The older more skilled polishers, machinists, and gunsmiths are all retiring or gone and they don't seem to have a program in place to capture their knowledge or skills.

It's unfortunate but the reality is less skilled people built your gun and less skilled people are fixing your gun.

View attachment 159849

Today it's all about the numbers.
I'd like to think it's just the numbers but it's more than that. It is poor management. I recently bought a Performance Center 1911 and while the gun itself has run fine I had a very difficult time replacing the sights. I finally brought it to a 1911 pistolsmith and he showed me how to measure the dovetails (front and rear) and explained that S&W has 2 types of dovetails and the ones that are cut on the Performance Center guns are WHATEVER IS ON THE PRESS WHEN THE SLIDES GET SENT OUT TO BE CUT!!!!!! For simplicity assume that the two types are A and B and they have Front and Rear . Your gun could be built with dovetails AA, AB, BA, or BB. NO way of telling you have. You must measure them. With that knowledge I called one of the better known sight suppliers and he agreed with the pistolsmiths explanation and sent me the sights that I had measured. (THey of course fit).

Is this any way to build a $1700 gun pistol?????

P.S. Don't both calling S&W. All they will do it offer to replace the sights with their own sights if you sent the slide in.

I blew the slide right off a 1911 PD and they fixed it no questions asked for free in a very short time,and sent it back with two free mags.
I called looking to buy a couple specific springs for another pistol and he just asked for my address. Dropped a dozen in an envelope and mailed them out, no charge.

Just lucky I guess.

Oh, and 20's? A must from prone for me.

Can someone on NES, just PLAH-EESE = send/gift this guy a spare 10-round mag and some Mcd's sweet-sour sauce packets ????

Be done with!

;):D

Ive had great experices with SW support..
OP, Im not trying to blast you. Its a crappy gun and a crappy mag even if it does function....
That said SW has increasingly worse quality control even on their higher end stuff.

I totally understand how you feel, but at some point have to decide is the principal worth more time and money.

Take it out shoot 500rds though it without even aiming, dissasemble, clean, deburr, buy more mags and run it no lube.

I not trying to sound negative, but SW has almost gone the way of sig with hype marketing and cookie cutter custom guns..

To be positive your rifle was CHEAP.
The one we have is great because it works, it weighs nothing, shoots strait and has a $4k thermal on it.

Call the 800 number and talk to someone that is in the know. S&W hires a lot of temps that just don't know anything, the person doing the emails must be one of them.

Same thing happened to me when I needed a replacement for a defective mag. I gave them the address for Four Seasons, which happens to be the closest gun shop to me. They mailed it to them and FS just held it under the counter for me until I got a chance to go down there and pick it up.

I laugh at the guys that complain about the M&P slide releasing when you slap a mag in. Like the M&P is the only one that does it ... I just recently went to the range with a friend, he shot my Shield 45 and I shot his Glock whatever number.. He loved the Shield, in fact went right out and bought one. The Glock was a good gun, but again I had to laugh when I inserted a mag like I would my M&P, slap it in place and the slide released .... :confused::D

For those of you with M&P mags where you can't get in the 10th round, there's an easy fix. Multiple threads on this topic, with pics.

Disassemble the mag and look at the follower. It looks like a little footstool. Use a Dremel tool to shave off the legs so the follower ends up with more of a flat bottom. Re-assemble. Profit.

On alot of guns i like the slide releasing..when it doesnt happen it throughs me off.
Alot of new guns dont do it reliably, whenever i shoot someone elses identical firerarm and it doesnt do it, i figure they just never shoot.

For those of you with M&P mags where you can't get in the 10th round, there's an easy fix. Multiple threads on this topic, with pics.

Disassemble the mag and look at the follower. It looks like a little footstool. Use a Dremel tool to shave off the legs so the follower ends up with more of a flat bottom. Re-assemble. Profit.

Or let you put in an evil 11th round...

Long story short I purchased an M&P 15 Sport II and love it. However, the 10rd mag they supplied fails to feed well and I sent them an email to replace it. After many emails and delays they are telling me they cannot legally send me a 10rd magazine in MA. I have to go to the dealer.

Ok, maybe I am wrong but I order all the time from online retailers, eBay, etc. 10 rounds!

On top of that, S&W did send me a 10rd magazine in 2013. I purchased from their site and they sent it to me. They are now telling me they did not. I sent them the invoice as proof and they said it "No, that order was blocked." I HAVE IT! It came in the mail and I use it.

Are they delusional?

Haven't you heard AR owners are bad people so no one wants to deal with them anymore, especially in Massachusetts. So that means you are on S&W's pay no mind list.

Back
Top Bottom