Which one you would get it? Remington or HOWA?

I'm planing to buy my first rifle, and I can't make a decision .Please help me what should I buy?
This is my option:

1, Howa - Supreme Varminter heavy barrel 24" RH 1:12" .308 Win , blue finish

or

2, Remington 700 sps Police in .308 Winchester heavy barrel 26"

Personally I would go with the Remington. I have no experience with Howa, but the Remington is a great rifle. The 700 has been around for a long time for a reason.

I would look at Savage, better gun for the money. I would go with a Savage 10FP or 10 FCP HS Precision, or even an Edge over a Remington. I love Remington, but I am not a fan of their bolt guns. The Savage's floating bolt head eliminates most problems of a solid bolt, they have the accustock and accutrigger as well. I also like the fact that you can change a barrel on a Savage and set headspace without a lathe. They are naildrivers out of the box, and the target series will run with custom guns to a point. You can take a box stock Savage action and build a very competitive rifle, where as a Remington needs to be trued, the bolt sleeved, lugs lapped, just not in the same league if you ask me. Don't get me wrong, they will shoot, but a Savage will shoot better most times. Just my opinion.

But you are buying the rifle and not me, so either way I guess you will get a decent rig.

I would look at Savage, better gun for the money. I would go with a Savage 10FP or 10 FCP HS Precision, or even an Edge over a Remington. I love Remington, but I am not a fan of their bolt guns. The Savage's floating bolt head eliminates most problems of a solid bolt, they have the accustock and accutrigger as well. I also like the fact that you can change a barrel on a Savage and set headspace without a lathe. They are naildrivers out of the box, and the target series will run with custom guns to a point. You can take a box stock Savage action and build a very competitive rifle, where as a Remington needs to be trued, the bolt sleeved, lugs lapped, just not in the same league if you ask me. Don't get me wrong, they will shoot, but a Savage will shoot better most times. Just my opinion.

But you are buying the rifle and not me, so either way I guess you will get a decent rig.

i'm going to agree with this.

i have a 10FP in .223 and the thing shoots!!!! regular 55 grainers all day long, all day strong with it's 1/9 twist. [smile] the accutriger breaks nice and crips and is adjustable. the only problem i had with Savage was their cheap stocks. they seem to have pulled it together with the accustock... i put a bell and carlson stock on mine to solve that...

I'm planing to buy my first rifle, and I can't make a decision .Please help me what should I buy?
This is my option:

1, Howa - Supreme Varminter heavy barrel 24" RH 1:12" .308 Win , blue finish

or

2, Remington 700 sps Police in .308 Winchester heavy barrel 26"

Target work or varmint hunting? I think (but am not positive) the Remington has a 1-10 twist barrel which might stabilize 175 or 190 grain bullets better if long-range is your game. The Howas are decent rifles, but I wouldn't pay more for one than a Remington.
If price is equal, of your two choices, I'd get the Remington.

+1 for Savage 10FP or 12. I went with Savage originally because of accuracy, price, and wider range of left hand models (10FLP for me!).

It was later that I found out how much work you could accomplish on a Savage at home.

I've got a Savage Weather Shield 16 FCSS on my wish list. It comes with an Accu-trigger and Accu-Stock.

I'm trying to decide whether I want a .223 or a .308, which would get me into a new caliber. It would be for the range and SHTF.

Between the to choices you have I pick the Howa. My personal experiences with Remington rifles was not to great.

add one more vote for Savage.

I have a rem 700 and had Savages... I kept the rem because I liked the stock better. But the savage was every bit as good a shooter, if not better.

Savage Weather Shield 16 FCSS

Reading all of the answers, and other forums, my choice is :Savage Weather Shield 16 FCSS !
I was reading also most of the tactical shooters aren't like the original stock. What should I get ? What kinda stock?

Between the two choices - Howa - all day, any day. Cerberus has not done Remington, nor the other bazillion firearms companies they've swallowed up any favors...QC is in the shitter. If you decide to open up your choices, I'd go Savage over both....

What exact model of Savage are you prefer? I want a .308 You think I should go with 26" heavy barrel?
Please give me an advice.
Atti

If you want a heavy barrel, the 10FP would be excellent. If you want a heavy barreled rifle with a target stock, the 10FCP HS-Precision would be about perfect.

If you are going to get a lighter barreled model, and plan to replace the stock, buy an Edge and add a stock and a trigger. It has been reported they deliver 1/2" to 5/8" groups on the regular, and they go for a bit over $300 on the street. The only thing they lack is an accutrigger, but you can get a very nice aftermarket for $80-100.

http://www.sharpshootersupply.com/ They sell an awesome competition trigger for $97, adjustable from 2lbs to 12oz. They offer another for $300, but that has to be installed by them, along with timing the action. The $97 trigger is awesome anyway, so no real need to spend anymore. The stock trigger will do fine as well, unless you are a very good shooter, you probably won't be affected that much. As long as you take your time and have good technique, you will still get good results.

All the rifles listed above have a 1-10 twist, and will stabilize heavy bullets well at long range. Though they will also work with all but the lightest .308 bullets.

Also, if you plan to shoot lighter bullets, the model 12BVSS in .308 is very nice as well. It has a 1-12 twist for lighter bullets, and a really nice laminated stock.

It really depends on the application. If you want a light barreled rifle with a sporter style stock, you can't beat the Edge. The most accurate gun in it's price range hands down.
If you want to go long range, the top two will be great, though the HS-Precision has an excellent target stock already.
If you want heavy barrel and nice stock, but don't plan to shoot heavy long heavy bullets or past 600, than you can get away with the 12BVSS, as it probably won't stabilize anything over a long 168-180gr bullet. The others will stabilize the VLD's, which are ideal for the long shots.

Whatever you decide, I think you will end up with a really nice rifle.

Reading all of the answers, and other forums, my choice is :Savage Weather Shield 16 FCSS !
I was reading also most of the tactical shooters aren't like the original stock. What should I get ? What kinda stock?

That model is an excellent choice. The stock on the Weathershield models is an overmolded (rubberized) black stock. It is an Accu-stock which means it includes their form of bedding to aid with accuracy.

If your interest is .308, that would also be a great choice. Expect some recoil, but it won't be bad.

Another great reason why Savage is a choice of mine is this...

from the catolog.....

In addition to the broad range of models offered in this catalog,
Savage can create a special make-up for a modest fee. Various calibers
and components can be configured to make unique rifles for
customers whose specific needs are not met by our standard line.
call effie sullivan at 800-370-0708 ext. 6 for more details on unique configurations.

Dont see what you want give them a call.

Thank you for all of you! I will get with Savage instead of Remington or Howa. I found a lot's of good forum about Savage. I didn't decide which one I will get, I like a Savage 10 10FP-LE2B .308 Winchester McMillan Stock ($762) , or Savage Weather Shield 16 FCSS , but I didn't find a FCSS in .308
I 'm really like an idea to get a muzzle break on .308 , and a 10FP has it. My other option was a Savage 10-FCP-K , so I still need a bit more time to make a final decision ;)

I'm scared to ask what about a DPMS 308LR?

just a note / question:

what distances do you plan on shooting? i only ask because IF you are plinking at less than 200 (300max) yards, you might want to consider the price of .308 vs. a cheaper caliber... (.223, .17hmr ect)

600-800 yards

what distances do you plan on shooting? i only ask because IF you are plinking at less than 200 (300max) yards, you might want to consider the price of .308 vs. a cheaper caliber... (.223, .17hmr ect)[/QUOTE]

Thank you for all of you! I will get with Savage instead of Remington or Howa. I found a lot's of good forum about Savage. I didn't decide which one I will get, I like a Savage 10 10FP-LE2B .308 Winchester McMillan Stock ($762) , or Savage Weather Shield 16 FCSS , but I didn't find a FCSS in .308
I 'm really like an idea to get a muzzle break on .308 , and a 10FP has it. My other option was a Savage 10-FCP-K , so I still need a bit more time to make a final decision ;)

I'm scared to ask what about a DPMS 308LR?

I think you will make a good decision with Savage, and the 10FP will be great for 600-800yd shooting.
Also, if it doesn't need to be a repeater, also look at the Model 12 Benchrest or the F/TR as both come in .308, or even the F-class if another chambering is an option, as they are available in 6mmBR and 6.5X.284. The Target series are excellent rifles, and come with a very light trigger, I believe adjustable from 12oz. to 2lbs. If you only plan to shoot long, the extra barrel length will be beneficial, as the added velocity for the heavy VLD's will come in handy at 800.

The DPMS rifles are very nice as well, though I don't believe you will get quite as muck accuracy from an AR as you can from a bolt gun, though still very accurate.

Think about it for a bit, and see if you can find a few different models to test them for fit, as comfort is always a benefit to accuracy.

Kenny,
The best match, and price I found so far is a :
-Savage Model 16FHSAK Weather Warrior Rifle 17954, 308 Win, 22" Muzzle Brake, Bolt Action, Black Syn Stock, Stain Steel Finish, Hinged Floorplate, 4 Rds $751.34
-Savage 10FCP 308 LE Rifle, 24" Heavy Fluted Barrel/Muzzle Break $762.99
-I can't find a 10 FP 24" under $800 :(

Do you have any link for Model 12 Benchrest or the F/TR ? I would like to find something with 24" heavy barrel, Muzzle Brake (if is necessary ) under $800 I still like to get a .308

I have a Savage 110 in 7mm Mag, very accurate rifle, But it does not compare to my Howa .308HB. I have fed it surplus 7.62x51, 150gr, 165gr, 168gr, loaded up 120gr for Varmints (yes varmints) and it shoots ragged 1 hole 5 shot groups at 100 w/ everything. At 400 yards it is just getting started. I had a 6-24x40mmAO on it for years, but I changed that out for a 4-12x42mmAO a few years ago. I lost nothing in the switch since the new glass is better. Remember, there is a reason that Weatherby contracts Howa to build the Vangaurd series. It is basicly a 1500.
DSCF0006-4.jpg

Back
Top Bottom