Which one you would get it? Remington or HOWA?

Out of curiosity, does anyone here have any experience with the Mossberg 100 ATR or 4x4 models? I've read some good reviews of them, but have never heard of any first-hand experience.

-I can't find a 10 FP 24" under $800 :(

Do you have any link for Model 12 Benchrest or the F/TR ? I would like to find something with 24" heavy barrel, Muzzle Brake (if is necessary ) under $800 I still like to get a .308

Even adding shipping and a transfer fee, this 10FP would be less than $800.

I don't see the need for a muzzle brake on a heavy barrel 308 10....I mean, if you really want one, have at it. I've never missed having one on my 10FLP/308, and I certainly don't miss the extra noise.

Not that I would ever suggest looking for firearms support or information from them, unless it's the store MassMark works at, but next time you're near a Dicks Sporting Goods stop at the Lodge and ask to see their special order book. They had really good prices on the 2 Savages I've ordered through them. Finding someone who knows how to process the order is the tough part.

Kenny,
The best match, and price I found so far is a :
-Savage Model 16FHSAK Weather Warrior Rifle 17954, 308 Win, 22" Muzzle Brake, Bolt Action, Black Syn Stock, Stain Steel Finish, Hinged Floorplate, 4 Rds $751.34
-Savage 10FCP 308 LE Rifle, 24" Heavy Fluted Barrel/Muzzle Break $762.99
-I can't find a 10 FP 24" under $800 :(

Do you have any link for Model 12 Benchrest or the F/TR ? I would like to find something with 24" heavy barrel, Muzzle Brake (if is necessary ) under $800 I still like to get a .308

Most of the Target models will be somewhere around $1000, and they have 30" barrels for the most part, and weigh a good bit more than the 10FP. Just go to Savage.com and click browse models, then look under target series. They are serious target rifles and set up as such, and will not need a muzzle brake, as recoil from a .308 from a heavy rifle will be minimal. All a brake will do is make it louder, and blow up dust if you shoot prone. I am not sure of what laws allow in your area, but if I was to go with a brake, it would be removable.

I have seen the 10FP locally for around $800, so it shouldn't be that hard to find, and as someone else mentioned, Dick's will special order you most anything from Savage.

A fluted barrel has "flutes" milled in the side that go most of the barrel length, they are essentially shallow grooves that aid in cooling due to increased surface area and remove some barrel weight. I have heard good and bad about them, and are more cosmetic than anything else. If they are done improperly they can hurt a good barrel more than they help.

Where are you located? If you are anywhere near me, I can tell you where there are a few different models to go look at.

I'm in Houston Tx, just moved from Florida not long ago. The closest Dick's is few hours away. I found a local shop, and they have a Savage 18608 ( 10 FCP model ) Heavy barrel 24" Accu Trigger , Muzzle B. for $787.99
The Savage 01284 is a new rifle is not in the store yet here is a description: The only thing is why they call for Varmint? Who is shooting to prairie dog with a .308? :Savage Arms Varmint Rifle
Model: 12FV Varmint Series
Manufacturer Number: 01284
Action: Bolt
Caliber: 308 Winchester
Capacity: 4 Round
Barrel Length: 26 Inch
Barrel: Heavy
Overall Length: 46 Inch
Safety: Thumb
Stock: Black Synthetic
Trigger: AccuTrigger
Weight: 8.75 Pounds
Finish: Blue

I'm in Houston Tx, just moved from Florida not long ago. The closest Dick's is few hours away. I found a local shop, and they have a Savage 18608 ( 10 FCP model ) Heavy barrel 24" Accu Trigger , Muzzle B. for $787.99
The Savage 01284 is a new rifle is not in the store yet here is a description: The only thing is why they call for Varmint? Who is shooting to prairie dog with a .308? :Savage Arms Varmint Rifle
Model: 12FV Varmint Series
Manufacturer Number: 01284
Action: Bolt
Caliber: 308 Winchester
Capacity: 4 Round
Barrel Length: 26 Inch
Barrel: Heavy
Overall Length: 46 Inch
Safety: Thumb
Stock: Black Synthetic
Trigger: AccuTrigger
Weight: 8.75 Pounds
Finish: Blue

I don't understand why You are asking for advice here?

Surely there are similar forums in FL an TX?

Specially when you're looking for 600 yard + ranges.

600-800 yards

[thinking]

Last edited:
I don't understand why You are asking for advice here?

Surely there are similar forums in FL an TX?

No, there aren't. And since when have we not welcomed non NE'rs... [slap]

ETA: Snipers hide chews alive anyone who isn't a professional shooter, so here is as good a place as any.

Well , I didn't know it is a big deal to not be Northeastern. I thought we all humanAnd the reason I wrote to this forum, because I was reading ton's of other forum and this seems to me one of the best, with people they know what they are talking about. I got very good advices from Kenny, and others, so Thank You so much.
I will not bother anymore, if to live in different state is a big problem.
Regards, Attila

Well , I didn't know it is a big deal to not be Northeastern. I thought we all humanAnd the reason I wrote to this forum, because I was reading ton's of other forum and this seems to me one of the best, with people they know what they are talking about. I got very good advices from Kenny, and others, so Thank You so much.
Regards, Attila

It's not a problem at all - welcome aboard.

He's just jealous because you have places you can shoot 600-800 yards. Rarer than hens teeth around here.....

Thanx man,
It is not easy for me, because I don't know too many people around here. So it is hard to find somebody who has a same interest than I do also smart enough to answer to the questions, or even care about it.
I did sign up to few shooters web sites, and I really like this one. It is really hard to decide, which way I should go, which rifle I should buy without any experience.
2 month ago I didn't even know what is barrel means :) I almost bought a Remington 700 SPS .308 earlier because that rifle was the first idea to get for shooting a long range 600-800 yards range.
I started to dig in more and read lot's of articles and I learned more . The Howa sounded the best decision for me until I found this forum.You guys were talking about Savage rifles and I had more "study " and I became a Savage fan :)
I don't need a $1300 rifle to start with it, so I need to find a good start up rifle , and keep the price under $800+ scope.
The best so far was a Savage 18608 24" 10-FCP , but I'm still looking. The 26" heavy barrel will be a better decision. I didn't find any feedback about a Savage 12FV .308 ( model # 01284 ) , because it is a new rifle? It has an accutrigger, 26" barrel ,so it might be a best decision, and I will buy a better stock later. I'm not quiet sure why is a varmint gun, I wouldn't hunt varmint with .308 , sounds messy to me.
Regards, Attila

Last edited:
Don't knock a .308 for varmints, it's like hitting them with a hand grenade, very fun to watch! My brother in law lives out west, and has several varmint guns, one being a custom 7mmWSM. Now that is fun to watch when it impacts! I don't know many people who eat varmints, so meat isn't important. I have heard of people using .338 Lapua, and even watched a few videos of it. Most stick to 6mm and smaller, but some like the big stuff too. All personal preference.

Anyway, it doesn't matter where you're from, your welcome here. Just keep your eyes open for a good deal, and I'm sure something will pop up.
You can't beat a Savage for versatility and box stock accuracy. And if you decide you want something other than a .308, you can buy another barrel and swap it out yourself with just a few tools. Savage is one of the few rifles available that have that ability. They use a jam nut to set headspace, so you don't need a gunsmith. There are several places online that have detailed instructions on how to do it, and it's really not that hard. That way you can keep the same rifle you are comfortable with, and shoot several calibers with just a quick barrel change and possibly a bolt head, as it will only take 15 minutes after you have done it once or twice. So if you end up wanting a better varmint gun, just swap in a .243 barrel, or a 6mmBR or whatever you want. Pac-Nor, and several others, make good prechambered Savage barrels, and they don't cost a ton either. Just another benefit to owning a Savage.

Keep posting and let us know what you end up buying. Good luck in your search.

Kenny

I didn't know that! This is great! I will buy a 10-FCP than for sure , and If I will more comfortable with it, I will buy a 6mm BR. Nobody told me that before, you just made my day! Should I use a factory stock on 10-FCP or buy with a McMillan A-5?

I forgot to ask what kind a rifle do you have? Are you using for long range?

Don't knock a .308 for varmints, it's like hitting them with a hand grenade, very fun to watch! My brother in law lives out west, and has several varmint guns, one being a custom 7mmWSM. Now that is fun to watch when it impacts! I don't know many people who eat varmints, so meat isn't important. I have heard of people using .338 Lapua, and even watched a few videos of it. Most stick to 6mm and smaller, but some like the big stuff too. All personal preference.

Anyway, it doesn't matter where you're from, your welcome here. Just keep your eyes open for a good deal, and I'm sure something will pop up.
You can't beat a Savage for versatility and box stock accuracy. And if you decide you want something other than a .308, you can buy another barrel and swap it out yourself with just a few tools. Savage is one of the few rifles available that have that ability. They use a jam nut to set headspace, so you don't need a gunsmith. There are several places online that have detailed instructions on how to do it, and it's really not that hard. That way you can keep the same rifle you are comfortable with, and shoot several calibers with just a quick barrel change and possibly a bolt head, as it will only take 15 minutes after you have done it once or twice. So if you end up wanting a better varmint gun, just swap in a .243 barrel, or a 6mmBR or whatever you want. Pac-Nor, and several others, make good prechambered Savage barrels, and they don't cost a ton either. Just another benefit to owning a Savage.

Keep posting and let us know what you end up buying. Good luck in your search.

Kenny

A Savage 10FP tactical, (rifle only) is under $600.00.... Start there and build up....it's a superb rifle. We special ordered the whole shabang 10FCPXP HS tactical package deal for a customer and when we opened the case, it was like when Jules and Vincent opened the case in Pulp Fiction...Just this look of awe....

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/models/

I forgot to ask what kind a rifle do you have? Are you using for long range?

Well, I have a few, only 1 Savage though. I have an older Savage 340 .222 that I acquired recently that I plan to build up a bit. It's not as nice as the newer stuff, but I got it for a steal. I don't have anywhere to really test it at range, as I only know of one place with a 400yd range(big gravel pit), and it's a hike from my house. But it shoots very well at 150yds since I used Tubb's final finish bore lapping system on it. There are very few ranges in New England that are very long, which kinda sucks. I plan to buy another Savage in the future, but since I got hurt money has been tight, and my current gun fund is probably going to an AR. I have several friends who own Savage's, and they are all super nice and shoot extremely well.

As far as a stock goes, it's a matter of what you like. If you plan to replace it with a target stock, I would just go with the McMillan from the start, as it will probably be cheaper than buying the gun and a stock after.

Regards, Attila

No, you are more than welcome here. Blitz just had a hurt mangina that day.

For varmints, go with a nice .19 Badger over at http://www.jamescalhoon.com/

6mmBR will do anything a smaller caliber can on varmints, and drift less as distance increases. 6mm's are king in high BC varmint bullets. And if you really want to reach out and touch a varmint, a .243 or .243 AI is hard to beat.

The smaller calibers are nice, but when winds kick up on the plains, BC is king. Not to mention dies are far cheaper for most 6mm's, as the Badger is a wildcat with few suppliers. Also, bullets are probably far more widely available for standard calibers than the .19.

For a small bore varmint gun, .22BR or just a plain old .223 or .22-250 will do the trick, along with saving a ton of money in the process, and has the benefit of easily available loaded ammo.

Again, just my opinion.

6mmBR will do anything a smaller caliber can on varmints, and drift less as distance increases. 6mm's are king in high BC varmint bullets. And if you really want to reach out and touch a varmint, a .243 or .243 AI is hard to beat.

The smaller calibers are nice, but when winds kick up on the plains, BC is king. Not to mention dies are far cheaper for most 6mm's, as the Badger is a wildcat with few suppliers. Also, bullets are probably far more widely available for standard calibers than the .19.

For a small bore varmint gun, .22BR or just a plain old .223 or .22-250 will do the trick, along with saving a ton of money in the process, and has the benefit of easily available loaded ammo.

Again, just my opinion.

.223 and .22-250 are considered on the larger size if you want to do minimum pelt damage on predators such as coyote and fox. They are certainly too big for groundhogs and such. The .243 through .308 is out of the question. You might as well use a .416 Rigby.

Did you even look at the Calhoon web site? You can buy the dies, and enough ammo to last the lifetime of the barrel for not a ton of coin. The smaller calibers are moving faster, and spend less time actually in the wind, so the effects are minimal. Besides, what "plains" are there in New England?

First off, the OP is from TEXAS, not New England.

Second, most people that shoot varmints, ie:groundhogs, prairie dogs, rock chucks, could care less about pelts. That's why they use bullets that basically explode on impact, providing maximum damage.

Third, if you are hunting Predators, ie:Coyote and Fox, you would use a non expanding bullet so as not to damage the pelt, or a frangible bullet that breaks up inside the animal, so you only have an entrance hole, and no exit. You are talking about two totally different things. Varmint hunting is totally different than predator hunting.

If you really think that .223 caliber is too big for varmint hunting, you obviously have NEVER shot with any serious varminters. And since the .19's are only good out to around 300 yards according to the site, they are useless compared to a 6mm in dog town. The long range guys use high BC bullets for a reason, they drift less and retain more energy downrange. Where a light small caliber bullet will drift far more and lose velocity much faster. Also, a very fast moving bullet will do as much, if not more, damage as a larger slower moving bullet. If light, small caliber bullets performed better in the wind, than the long range BR guys would all be shooting .220 Swift.

I don't know if you have ever hunted varmints before, as you have claimed that 2 of the most popular varmint calibers (6mm and .223) are too large, and that 6mm has no place in varminting. Aside from the .223 calibers, 6mm is far and away one of the most used bullet diameters, far more so than .19.

Yes, I looked at the prices, and they are not really in the cheap category. Your looking at $500 to get started. And that's without any machining on the barrel. If you have them install the barrel, your closer to $900. I'll go with a pre-fit barrel in a normal chambering.

Read this. http://www.6mmbr.com/varmint.html It will help you understand the reasons behind high BC bullets and 6mm use in varminting. You will also notice at the bottom of the page that the two guys are using .300 WSM's for long range varminting.

No, you are more than welcome here. Blitz just had a hurt mangina that day.

HEY!! [frown] Terra

ahdm01.jpg

[laugh]

Sorry it was a legit question, my bad. I didn't mean to come off like a prick. (hmmm wait no pun intended there [smile])

I'm probably the nicest guy here. [wink]

My apologies Atti_Mac. Welcome to the forum. [grin]

First off, the OP is from TEXAS, not New England.

Second, most people that shoot varmints, ie:groundhogs, prairie dogs, rock chucks, could care less about pelts. That's why they use bullets that basically explode on impact, providing maximum damage.

Third, if you are hunting Predators, ie:Coyote and Fox, you would use a non expanding bullet so as not to damage the pelt, or a frangible bullet that breaks up inside the animal, so you only have an entrance hole, and no exit. You are talking about two totally different things. Varmint hunting is totally different than predator hunting.

If you really think that .223 caliber is too big for varmint hunting, you obviously have NEVER shot with any serious varminters. And since the .19's are only good out to around 300 yards according to the site, they are useless compared to a 6mm in dog town. The long range guys use high BC bullets for a reason, they drift less and retain more energy downrange. Where a light small caliber bullet will drift far more and lose velocity much faster. Also, a very fast moving bullet will do as much, if not more, damage as a larger slower moving bullet. If light, small caliber bullets performed better in the wind, than the long range BR guys would all be shooting .220 Swift.

I don't know if you have ever hunted varmints before, as you have claimed that 2 of the most popular varmint calibers (6mm and .223) are too large, and that 6mm has no place in varminting. Aside from the .223 calibers, 6mm is far and away one of the most used bullet diameters, far more so than .19.

Yes, I looked at the prices, and they are not really in the cheap category. Your looking at $500 to get started. And that's without any machining on the barrel. If you have them install the barrel, your closer to $900. I'll go with a pre-fit barrel in a normal chambering.

Read this. http://www.6mmbr.com/varmint.html It will help you understand the reasons behind high BC bullets and 6mm use in varminting. You will also notice at the bottom of the page that the two guys are using .300 WSM's for long range varminting.

Until recently (past year or two), "varmint" was used for both groundhog, prairie dogs, chucks, and also the whole line of predators. I was more referring to the predators. You are right about the exploding, pink mist, major devastation on the small varmints at long distances. So, I guess the clarification was necessary. Also, I didn't notice he was from Texas, as this is called "Northeast Shooters", so I apologize for that.

Thanks for the chance to clear that up.

Until recently (past year or two), "varmint" was used for both groundhog, prairie dogs, chucks, and also the whole line of predators. I was more referring to the predators. You are right about the exploding, pink mist, major devastation on the small varmints at long distances. So, I guess the clarification was necessary. Also, I didn't notice he was from Texas, as this is called "Northeast Shooters", so I apologize for that.

Thanks for the chance to clear that up.

No problem. It's understandable. I was surprised to see Texas as well.

I have to stick with .308, because if I will go to hunt I will shoot elk. But I want to shoot most at the range. So basically it will be more tactical than hunt rifle. I found at a local Walmart , they have Savage! And I have 2 option: I can get a 10 FP .308 for $590 with tax, or a 12FSS for $689 (26" barrel) 1:10 twist
I can buy later a different stock if I need to. I think I will go with a 10 FP 24" , I don't know anything about 12FSS

I have to stick with .308, because if I will go to hunt I will shoot elk. But I want to shoot most at the range. So basically it will be more tactical than hunt rifle. I found at a local Walmart , they have Savage! And I have 2 option: I can get a 10 FP .308 for $590 with tax, or a 12FSS for $689 (26" barrel) 1:10 twist
I can buy later a different stock if I need to. I think I will go with a 10 FP 24" , I don't know anything about 12FSS

I believe the 12 FSS is actually the 12 FVSS, which is very similar to the 10 FP, but has a barrel 2" longer and is stainless. I would go with the 10 FP myself and save the $100. I think you will make a very good choice with the 10 FP, and that looks to be a very good price. I would stick with the factory stock for a while, until you have developed your skill to the point that the rifle is holding you back accuracy wise.

I would look into doing a glass bedding job on the factory stock, as that will help with accuracy a bit, and is much cheaper than a new stock. I'm sure you can find someone here to give you some tips on bedding, as I am no expert or I would help you with it.

Also, what are you planning on running for optics?

I have listed a few good places to check out for Savage parts and advice. They are definitely worth looking at.
http://www.sharpshootersupply.com/<--- Good place for Savage parts and accessories.
http://savageshooters.com/SavageForum/index.php?PHPSESSID=0dhj3en0fj3lb5n6486suqlt80&board=64.0 <--- This is Northland Shooter Supply at Savage Shooter.com, has a lot of nice stuff for good prices
http://savageshooters.com/SavageForum/ <---- Forum at SavageShooters.com, good place for info on Savage rifles, But NES is still the best![wink][smile]
http://savageshooters.com/index.php<---- SavageShooters.co home page, lots of product reviews and reload data, articles and such.

Back
Top Bottom