• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Which .40? Walther P99 or CZ75 or Steyr M40 or Glock 23

Which 40 will you recommend?

• Total voters
I have decided that for my 9mm, that I will be getting a Steyr M9 and thats just what I did. You guys help me out on that tremendously! I am now a happy owner of an M9!

Now, about the .40, which one should you recommend?

Steyr M40, CZ75 or P99 or Glock 23.

This is for range/competition, I hope, and that can be carried too. Thanks.

Sincerely,

Bro Hiram,

The problem with your request is that unless we have fired each of them, all you get is the prejudice of what we know, not what we don't know.

Any chance you have any buddies in Manila that one each of them (multiple buddies are OK) so that you can try them all out and see what fits you best?

For instance, just handling the SigPro 2340 told me that it was too big for my hand with the small grip. What works for one of us may not work for you.

BTW, caution (info here on forum somewhere) the Walther marked .40 mags . . . the baseplates may "launch" . . . I had all 4 of mine do it multiple times. Finally had S&W send me the S&W marked baseplates and all is well again. There was some bad plastic used in the Walther marked .40 baseplates and they are NOT marked in any way that you can tell in advance. It only affects the .40 mags and only the ones marked Walther.

I've got to agree with Len about bias and knowledge.

You really need to try them all, and then buy what works best for you.

Please do let us know what you buy, and your opinions on all, though.

I have handled all the models mentioned and fired all but the CZ in .40 (like Ross, I've only fired the 9mm version)

That said, You really need to hold them yourself and see which was built for you. I find just about any double stack in .40 too large a grip. Thus, my .40 choices have always been a single stack based purely on fit.

Then you try the triggers and get shown how to strip them for cleaning and select the one you like.

I know that probably doesn't answer your question, but that is the advice I give to all my students. Buy the gun that YOU prefer. Heck, you might find that you absolutely LOVE the 1911 format and order yourself a pistol in every chambering for that you can find.

If you do go with the Glock, be aware that it is highly discouraged to use reloaded ammo in it in .40. You also should not shoot led in a polygon style rifling as it does not grip the lead as well as conventional rifling, but works just fine on jacketed ammo.

Bias or not, its fine with me.

Basically I just want to know if there are issues in regards to these pistols, issues for instance like, service, recoil, cost, availability of parts, continued or not, weight, etc.

In regards to the Walther P99, what we have is the German [Germany?] made and not the US manufactured one.

As of now, I can only afford to get one of the 40s [wife said so! ]. Will try to visit some stores here and take a look at the grip and check if its fits my hand well. But this will not answer performance wise. I hate the glock but it is the only most affordable one around here! Oh oh I may end up with Armscor 40!

derek said:

NO, not the HK. :D It is the most expensive pistol here! No question with quality for that, I have a friend who has one and he is so proud about it and, really is a gorgeousgun! Superb quality pistol!

My wife may kick me out of the bed, if not of the house! [oops]

LenS said:
Bro Hiram,

BTW, caution (info here on forum somewhere) the Walther marked .40 mags . . . the baseplates may "launch" . . . I had all 4 of mine do it multiple times. Finally had S&W send me the S&W marked baseplates and all is well again. There was some bad plastic used in the Walther marked .40 baseplates and they are NOT marked in any way that you can tell in advance. It only affects the .40 mags and only the ones marked Walther.

Thanks for that information... so the german made isnt good then. Will check if there are any baseplates that has the S&W markings here before considering the P99. These can cause money! :)

I've got both the Glock and CZ. They're both nice, 100% reliable with everything I've shot through them, and accurate enough to do the job. My personal preference is for the CZ, based on the way it fits my hand and the fact that I can carry it cocked and locked. (Carrying a 1911 for about 20 years will do that to you.)

Ken

Cross-X said:
My rankings, in order:

G23
G23
G23
G23

Glock lover! :D

BTW, have you used it for any competition and how was it? That one could have been my first pistol if not for the M9 but since Im eyeing on a 40 now, that can be considered. Thanks.

The Steyr here is being left behind!

Which 40 will you recommend?
CZ-75 .40
27% [ 3 ]
Walther P99
45% [ 5 ]
Steyr M40
9% [ 1 ]
Glock 23
18% [ 2 ]

Total Votes : 11

That one vote for the Steyr is even from me, but its not over yet! I have a month to decide. Not in a hurry.

Pilgrim said:
a little off topic....

I never thought I'd see someone named hiram_Abiff posting on a website.

parting on the square........

Yes my brother... I survived! or should I say "resurrected"! But those three [3J] never had what they were demanding from me!

hiram_Abiff said:
LenS said:
Bro Hiram,

Thanks for that information... so the german made isnt good then. Will check if there are any baseplates that has the S&W markings here before considering the P99. These can cause money! :)

Well, that's a question that I can't answer, as I know not where the mags were really assembled.

My Walther P99 has a frame made in Germany, the upper made by S&W and gun assembled by S&W. All the errant mags are marked Walther, made by Meggar and mfd in Italy (but is that the shell or the entire assy). Speaking with S&W tech supt who handle all Walther and S&W imported to US (well, almost all . . . except Earl's imports) they told me it was ONLY the Walther marked mags, they changed the plastic but there was NO way to determine which are good and which are bad until they go "ping" and fracture. Yup, they sent me a set of replacement baseplates, all of which went "ping" . . . that's when I called back and told them to send me the S&W marked baseplates.

Whoever supports Walther in the Philippines should take care of any problems at NO COST to you.

Other than this problem (which is no longer a problem for me), it is a great and reliable gun.

hiram_Abiff said:
Pilgrim said:
a little off topic....

I never thought I'd see someone named hiram_Abiff posting on a website.

parting on the square........

Yes my brother... I survived! or should I say "resurrected"! But those three [3J] never had what they were demanding from me!

[lol] [lol]

Back
Top Bottom