• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Where are the shooter-grade Colt pythons?

I keep hearing how great the Colt Python is so I want to buy one. Problem is, most I see for sale are safe queens that are nearly unfired and come with all the accessories. I don't really want to take a $2000 gun and bring it to the range and beat on it.

Right now I am thinking about a 6" nickel model as a complement to my 4" S&W 686.

I assume I also need to make sure it is pre 1998 if I am shipping it into MA?

Chris

Pre98 won't help you because it is not on the list. It has to be papered exempt if you want to import it through most FFLs in MA.

Good luck finding one- A shooter grade python is one of those ones that's only 8.5 instead of a 10 because it has some bluing worn off it in a couple of spots. That means it only takes 100-200 off the top of the price, which doesn't amount to a hill of beans. "Beater" grade guns are rare.

Unless you're absolutely fixated on a Colt I would just find some cool old school S&W instead. (EG, like a Model 19) There are a lot more of them out there and they are not nearly as expensive.

Don't get me wrong the Colts are nice guns, but they won't do anything a good S&W will do at a portion of the price.

-Mike

The Range quality/worthy ones, most guys aren't letting go of because the value obviously isn't what it is for a safe queen one, so most feel they should just keep it and shoot it. I love Pythons, don't own one, but recently acquired a Trooper AKA Po'mans python. They may be a little easier to find, def cheaper, and almost the same gun.

range colts are being used, best bet is to buy a S&W or Ruger for heavy range use.
I been looking for a good not great colt revolver to fall into my lap.

I have a 6" Python in the "Coltguard" electroless nickel finish purchased new in 1983. Nice gun. I would like it to stay in the family forever along with the Colt 1911 and the Woodsman. You would probably pay to much for one. Get a good S&W as others have said. Jack.

The King Cobras usually go for a bit less than the pythons and if I recall correctly they are the same gun, just updated with the Anaconda's lockwork. If you want a shooter grade Colt .357 you're probably better off looking for a Trooper or Lawman. Nothing looks quite as good as that python barrel though.

The King Cobras usually go for a bit less than the pythons and if I recall correctly they are the same gun, just updated with the Anaconda's lockwork. If you want a shooter grade Colt .357 you're probably better off looking for a Trooper or Lawman. Nothing looks quite as good as that python barrel though.

King Cobras have a different frame, no? I have two of those but no python so I could be wrong but I thought the KC is a python without the anaconda frame. i.e.; with a smaller frame. Or maybe it's the python with a larger frame. I am confused but I believe the frame is different.

Why are Python's so expensive? Is it a MA availability thing? I'm fairly certain I saw one for $800 at Collector's Gallery 2-3 years ago, and I'm kicking myself for not buying it, because every other one I've seen since then has been $1500+.

Why are Python's so expensive? Is it a MA availability thing? I'm fairly certain I saw one for $800 at Collector's Gallery 2-3 years ago, and I'm kicking myself for not buying it, because every other one I've seen since then has been $1500+.

No, it's not a MA price, it's because Colt stopped making a great, commercially viable revolver because they had some competition. Where S&W makes their revolvers with smaller frames and looser tolerances, Colt made some of the best shooting, highest build quality revolvers of the late 20th century. But because they couldn't pimp it out w/ licensing fees and patent encumbrances, they dropped everything but the 1911s and the SAAs because remember, Colt is no longer a manufacturing company. It's an IP/trademark licensing company or so acts their more recent leadership. Now that Colt has lost the military contracts and everyone is making 1911 patter and SAA pattern handguns, whatever leg up Colt had in the market is GONE.

I frankly think that Colt management thinks they can survive on limited edition display boxed bling'd out 1911s. I beg to differ. It's a shame. For a while they were actually creating great new products.

Partly because they were hand fitted and for the most part feel it, partly because the bluing has never been equaled on any other gun, partly because they're just so damn pretty, and partly because they're Pythons and they ain't making them any more. Some of it is hype and some of it is real. I have one that's about 99% (cost me $250 about 20 years ago) and it gets shot from time to time. It's no more accurate than any of the many older S&Ws that I own, but it does attract a bit of attention at the range. The Python lockwork, BTW, is the same as the original Colt Three-Five-Seven and Trooper, both of which sort-of evolved into the Python, but different from the newer "snakes" and the Trooper MKIII. I also have a Three-Five-Seven (photo below) and an original Trooper was my first centerfire handgun, purchased back in the early 1970s. I foolishly sold it and have been looking for another one ever since.

There are plenty of Pythons, and better than "shooter" grade, around for well less than the $2000 the OP mentioned. Rileys had one in the case a few months ago for right around $1K and as I recall it was probably 95% or better.

187_8787.jpg

No, it's not a MA price, it's because Colt stopped making a great, commercially viable revolver because they had some competition. Where S&W makes their revolvers with smaller frames and looser tolerances, Colt made some of the best shooting, highest build quality revolvers of the late 20th century. But because they couldn't pimp it out w/ licensing fees and patent encumbrances, they dropped everything but the 1911s and the SAAs because remember, Colt is no longer a manufacturing company. It's an IP/trademark licensing company or so acts their more recent leadership. Now that Colt has lost the military contracts and everyone is making 1911 patter and SAA pattern handguns, whatever leg up Colt had in the market is GONE.

I frankly think that Colt management thinks they can survive on limited edition display boxed bling'd out 1911s. I beg to differ. It's a shame. For a while they were actually creating great new products.

Wow, I knew they had stopped making some things, but I didn't know all of that. Thanks for the info, and I agree - it's a shame.

Pre98 won't help you because it is not on the list. It has to be papered exempt if you want to import it through most FFLs in MA.

-Mike

Mike:

I am a little confused, are you saying if I bought a 1972 python on gunbroker, some FFLs may not transfer it into MA?

Chris

The last time I was in Undercover Arms they had some Colt Pythons. I didn't check the prices, but I'd bet they were expensive.

It's more than that - Colt pretty much abandoned the civilian market and focused on M4 sales. They're finally getting back into the civilian market with commercial regular production 1911s and new no-ban AR sporters. That model they make that takes 7.62/5.56 is interesting as well.

I am working in West Virginia and today I was traveling around to various gun shops. One in Maryland had an extremely nice 4" one that looks like it has only been cocked a few times judging by the ring on the cylinder. It was in the box with papers for only $1495. It was very nice looking though.

Pythons only increase in price every time you see one.
I'm glad I got my 4" Bright Stainless version when they were still available for under $1000.
I've seen quite a few used Pythons over the years, but never a really beat up one.
99% of them are safe queens and only see the light of day on special occasions.
I know I haven't fired mine in over a year, and I only feed it a special diet of selected "clean burning" full jacketed handloads.

King Cobras have a different frame, no? I have two of those but no python so I could be wrong but I thought the KC is a python without the anaconda frame. i.e.; with a smaller frame. Or maybe it's the python with a larger frame. I am confused but I believe the frame is different.

You're right I checked. The King Cobras had the medium size frame and the pythons had the large or "I" frame. With the availability of actual Pythons though, you might be better off mating a barrel to a trooper or cobra.

There's an odd hybrid out there known as a "Smython".
It's a K frame S&W mated with a Python barrel.
The reason for this was to get the stronger S&W action with the more accurate Python barrel.
Good luck finding one.

Smython.jpg

I have a blued python .357 mag w/6" barrel. It is the smoothest shooting handgun I own. The double action is so smooth it feels like single action. I sometimes think of the value of selling it, then I am reminded of the value of owning it! Anyway, good luck!

There's an odd hybrid out there known as a "Smython".
It's a K frame S&W mated with a Python barrel.
The reason for this was to get the stronger S&W action with the more accurate Python barrel.
Good luck finding one.

Smython.jpg
That's cool!

Mike:

I am a little confused, are you saying if I bought a 1972 python on gunbroker, some FFLs may not transfer it into MA?

Chris

Most won't. It must be papered as having existed in MA prior to 1998 to transit a "typical" MA FFL. All Colt (anythings) are non compliant unless papered exempt.

-Mike

100_3076s.jpg

In my safe. [grin] The Python was made in 1967 and the Diamondback in 1968.

And you'd have an aneurysm if I told you what I paid for them.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom