When selling/buying a firearm, what do you consider "low....

Zeo

When selling/buying a firearm, what do you consider "low round count" ?

1: 50 and under ?
2: 100 and under ?
3: 500 and under ?
4: 1,000 and under ?
5: Other = ?

When selling/buying a firearm, what do you consider "high round count" ?

A:100 and over ?
B:500 and over ?
c:1,000 and over ?
D: Other = ?

The only time round count really matters, IMHO, is on things that are going to fall apart rapidly, etc. Which for most guns is not an issue.

It's also kind of a bogus statistic. There are a lot of guns out there that don't show wear significantly. For example my Glock 19 Gen3 probably has like 6000 rounds through it, but you would never know by inspecting it, or you'd never be able to tell the difference between a gun with 200 and 6000 rounds down the pipe.

It's not something I even really worry about. I'm not even vaguely interested in the statistic unless the seller keeps painstaking records or something- EG its nice to know, for example, if someone recently changed the springs in the gun, and that kind of thing.

-Mike

I don't trust anything the seller says. Use your eyeballs to judge condition not a ridiculous estimate of how many times it went bang.

I don't consider it really at all. If the gun feels and looks right and it's what I want, I'll buy it. I think the whole "round count" thing is pretty much BS. It's like a used car with 125,000 miles but the seller that they're "highway miles"
This. Who the hell cares about round count? How do you even check if it's accurate?

Low round count: Chamber, extractor, and rifling look new.

Anything in an ad that is left to interpretation immediately should be discarded as information.

Example: FS Custom 1 of 1 Glock 43, low round count, shoots lasers out to 200yds. This handgun was owned by an adult and treated like such, and is in full working condition. Slight scratch to frame on right side, hot custom stippling job. PST.

What you should really read: FS Glock 43, scratch to frame on right side, stippling job. PST.

when a buyer asks about round count it just shows they're clueless. there are other factors that are far more important. my favorite are the knuckleheads who think a glock with 500 rounds has been shot a lot....in my book 500 rounds isn't even getting warmed up. in fact I find the whole "round count" issue to be helpful because if a buyer starts asking about it I save my time and just move on.

the only place where round count would really matter is in some high pressure rifle cartridge where the barrel may show wear quickly, such as a .243 win or 6mm creedmoor, but again anyone with enough $$ to shoot out their barrel will have plenty of $$ for a new barrel!

Last edited:
I had a guy back out of a swap because my glock had about 500 rounds through it and was too used...

And that probably was because you were honest with him- if you had blown smoke up his ass and said you fired like 100 rounds through it, he wouldn't have known the difference? [rofl]

-Mike

round count is a newb thing. I was a newb once. we all were at some point.

I took a class at SIG and even asked this newb question of "how long do the pistols last, like how many rounds?" the instructor thought for a moment pondering then said, "thousands, like 10's of thousands... no one really counts, we just clean and replace parts as they wear but we have guns that get used weekly and they're 10+ years old." And these were range guns so I probably put 300 rounds through the one pistol in that day alone.

Last edited:
Low round count matters for precision rifle shooting. Even an AR with a few hundred rounds will often be less accurate than when new, though I'm talking .5MOA vs 1.0MOA accuracy (give or take a bit).

if i'm selling a gun, i never even bother to mention round count unless it's in unfired condition. buying, never take round count into consideration, it's pointless really.

.. It's like a used car with 125,000 miles but the seller that they're "highway miles"
True.

Seller used the term, "low round count", instead of saying "100 rounds", or "around 100 rounds", etc..
So I judge him/her the same way I judge used car salesman.

If they get nervous when I break out the micrometer and calipers to make sure that precisely 500 rounds have been put down the pipe, then I'm not buying.

I only buy from serious shooters. [lol]

/sarc

Have any of you got call backs after transactions saying that the gun isn't what they wanted or some other mysterious grievance and the buyer wants to sell back?

It would matter a great deal in a varmint rifle in .220 swift which they say will kill a barrel in 1 or 2k but very little in the other end of the continuum like a G17 being fed mouse fart reloads.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Round count is kind of a hard thing to go by... look at all the MGs on GB that say things like "less than 400rd"
Ya 4 or 5 owners in the last 27 years i dont by it.

i go by unfired, fired ,fired alot, and abused

To directly answer your question ....
on a pistol 1000rds would be low and 10,000 may be high depending on the condition of the pistol.

On a rifle its completly depends on what kind of shooting your doing.

Its carrying guns that can really beat them up.unless im getting a good deal i wouldnt want somone else beater.

Anybody who buys and sells target rifles should ALWAYS give or get a round count. It directly bears on the price of that gun.

What scares me more is the LNIB. So someone bought it and fired 20 rounds and hated it that bad?

When I see wear marks on a gun from the shooters grip and inside the slide...

1. It didn't get like that because it was giving someone a hard time.
2. The shooter shot the hell out of it because it was fun to shoot and did well with it.

What scares me more is the LNIB. So someone bought it and fired 20 rounds and hated it that bad?

When I see wear marks on a gun from the shooters grip and inside the slide...

1. It didn't get like that because it was giving someone a hard time.
2. The shooter shot the hell out of it because it was fun to shoot and did well with it.

More curious to me are guns the seller pimped out with a trigger job, unobtanium sights and a match barrel then says it was never fired. Really?

Of course round count matters, especially for common guns. All things be equal, if one represents 50 rounds through and another does not state round count, then the preference is for the 50 round gun for sale. Everyone wants the used item they're buying to be newer. The bigger red flag is if the item is "LNIB" and comes with three holsters.

Of course round count matters, especially for common guns. All things be equal, if one represents 50 rounds through and another does not state round count, then the preference is for the 50 round gun for sale. Everyone wants the used item they're buying to be newer. The bigger red flag is if the item is "LNIB" and comes with three holsters.

I don't personally see that as a deal breaker because I've known a few guys, as well as talked to others at gun stores and such that will literally buy a gun and start carrying it without ever putting a round through it.[rolleyes] In the situation you mention, they may have tried several different holsters to find one that was most comfortable for carry, since that was the most important criteria to them, even if they didn't shoot it much.

As to the Ops question, I like to know the approx. round count if the seller keeps track of such things, but it's not a deal breaker for me if the condition is what I'm expecting when I see it in person. The last 2 purchases I made were from members here who both stated super low round counts and when I inspected the guns, they could have been in the display case of a gun store and no one would have been able to tell they had ever been fired at all. The bigger concern that no one has mentioned yet is the potential for buying someone else's lemon that they are only selling because it's a jamomatic. That is actually my only real concern, but I've been lucky so far I guess.

I had a guy back out of a swap because my glock had about 500 rounds through it and was too used...

What the ****? I'll put that through a new handgun in Bout two months! Why does the guy even want a handgun? Apparently he's never going to actually shoot it.

Anybody who buys and sells target rifles should ALWAYS give or get a round count. It directly bears on the price of that gun.

So........I'm.supoosed to keep track on a spreadsheet or something exactly how many rounds I shoot through my rifles? And who's got proof the seller is lying his ass off about the total? This is utter stupidity. Look the gun over carefully. If you have been around fire arms long enough that this kind of shit matters.....you can tell what condition the barrel is in if you look carefully

So......youll buy a gun where the seller "claims"50 rounds....over a gun where the seller does not specify......without even examining the gun? I got a bridge in Brooklyn if you are interested [rofl]

Look.....if someone is showing me a gun and says it's got 50 rounds through it my first impression is the seller is a lying sack of shit And I'll examine the gun and make my own determination of condition.

Last edited:
To me it is not how many round a seller states the firearm has through it as much as how many it really has through it that he was less than truthful about![frown]

I can't tell you how many times a "New or LNIB" firearm I've looked at appeared to have fought in at least two wars.
With the seller looking you in a straight face and then state that they all come that way from the factory![rofl]

Last edited:
So........I'm.supoosed to keep track on a spreadsheet or something exactly how many rounds I shoot through my rifles? And who's got proof the seller is lying his ass off about the total? This is utter stupidity. Look the gun over carefully. If you have been around fire arms long enough that this kind of shit matters.....you can tell what condition the barrel is in if you look carefully

I believe Pat was referring to true target guns such as match rifles. Guys that use those tend to be very particular about record keeping, logs, etc. mostly because they track the performance of particular loads.

- - - Updated - - -

To me it is not how many round a seller states the firearm has through it as much as how many it really has through it that he was less than truthful about![frown]

I can't tell you how many times a "New or LNIB" firearm I've looked at appeared to have fought in at least two wars. With the seller looking at you in a straight face and says they all look that way from the factory![rofl]

That could be true if buying a used AK. I've seen some being sold as brand new in stores that look well used to me because of poor finish quality.

I believe Pat was referring to true target guns such as match rifles. Guys that use those tend to be very particular about record keeping, logs, etc. mostly because they track the performance of particular loads.

- - - Updated - - -

That could be true if buying a used AK. I've seen some being sold as brand new in stores that look well used to me because of poor finish quality.

To me a target gun can be just about anything. A match grade rifle is more what he may be referring to the and I may be able to appreciate that. But general target rifles.......I dont even listen to what the seller is spouting out.......let me see the damn rifle and I'll decide what condition it's in.

Back
Top Bottom