• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Whats the "Best CLP"? What do you use?

What CLP do you use?

• Ballistol

Votes: 25 19.7%
  • Clenzoil

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Slip 2000

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • Frog Lube

Votes: 3 2.4%
  • Hoppes clp

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • Extreme Force

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hoppes #9 kit

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • Fluid Film

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Other

Votes: 27 21.3%
  • Break Free CLP

Votes: 51 40.2%

• Total voters
Break Free. Dont know if they still make the stuff, but it sure did great service for me over 20 years ago when I was forced to bury two bolt action rifles and a pump shotgun. The .22 and the .308 were stainless but the 870 was parkerized. They spent almost 18 months underground until the divorce was finalized, 209A expired, moved to another city and renewed my FID. When I recovered them, they were in exactly the same condition as when I buried them. Break Free is excellent, but I can't seem to find it retail any more.

Break Free. Dont know if they still make the stuff, but it sure did great service for me over 20 years ago when I was forced to bury two bolt action rifles and a pump shotgun. The .22 and the .308 were stainless but the 870 was parkerized. They spent almost 18 months underground until the divorce was finalized, 209A expired, moved to another city and renewed my FID. When I recovered them, they were in exactly the same condition as when I buried them. Break Free is excellent, but I can't seem to find it retail any more.

🤷‍♂️

It’s also stocked at virtually every gun store I’ve been to.

I've just been using a Hoppe's #9 kit with gun bore cleaner and separate lubricating oil for the past couple years. The cleaner seems fine, but the oil seems to evaporate way too easily. There are times I'll clean a gun after a range trip, put it in the safe for a couple weeks, and next time I go to bring it to the range, it looks and feels dry even though it's just been sitting in a safe. I'll have to check out the ones you guys have been mentioning here.

While I use a few other products for daily use (Lucas and Wilson Combat lubricants), I use Break Free for new guns to clean out that new gun grease (or whatever that stuff is they put in new guns right off the line). I literally just picked up a small 4 oz bottle at Walmart about two hours ago. But as others have said, it's all over the place.

I don't remember who mentored me about using Break Free on new guns, but they also mentioned "If it slides... grease it, if it rotates...oil it." It works for me. YMMV

Jay

I just started trying out the 5w40 mobil1 European blend mixed with Mobil1 grease. so far so good. atleast as a lube. On the shelf I also have rem oil, slip2000, break free, Ballistol, tw25. Only one I’ve ever had trouble with and won’t go back was Rem dry teflon lube. Years back tried it on my glock slide rails for a class and after a few hundred rounds my slide wasn’t returning to battery, lesson learned.

Careful with motor oils. If it has detergents or high temperature additives it can be toxic if used in firearms.

I only use the the aerosol stuff to douche stuff out in a pinch… I’ve said it before I usually just use whatever is in the closest dip stick in the nearest vehicle. I do this to some pretty high-end stuff.

A lot of times I’m a fan of the grease that comes in the case when you buy a new gun. But the grease can be hit or miss as far as retaining garbage and for winter use.

I use this stuff ProLix. I have the cleaner/lubricant in a spray bottle and they have an "X-tra lube" in a 1 ounce dropper bottle that is used for grease. Stuff is pretty awesome

Back
Top Bottom