What you want GOAL to do for you this year.

What would you most like GOAL to do for you this year?

• Total voters
drgrant said:
I had thought about this briefly, but I don't like that idea because it proffers on your DL that you (probably) own guns, and frankly I'd want those two things to be separate.

Well, of course, the 'right' way to do it is to mark ONLY those people who CAN'T have a gun. But that is discrimination and the liberal nanny state would never want to violate the rights of the slime that keep voting them into office - or worse, realize that our leaders suddenly have the "I'm a Criminal" deep red background on their licenses.

-----------------------

Let me explain to you why we are not taken seriously and our political leaders feel no regret treating us like second class citizens:

Ever wonder why criminals seem to have all the rights? You injure a criminal when they go to rob you and you get in trouble? A woman gets raped and tramatized for the rest of her life and the criminal gets a few years at best. A citizen is murdered for his property and the criminal gets let off due to a technicality.

The problem is that the criminals have nothing to lose. So they push the case along with the ACLU (All Criminal Lovers Union) to defeat any and all punishment for choices they made. If WE were to push the issue of our freedoms, we have our privledge to own guns to lose and perhaps even more. It's not like if we lose, things will return to the way they are. You would be a marked person for questioning the 'MAN'. A 'Trouble maker'. Perhaps even used as a reason to make more 'reasonable' laws.

Frankly, I'd love to be the one who when asked for his license pulled out this:

huge_bor.jpg

But I'm a coward. I do not have the strength of will, financial reserves, and friends that the original patriots had to fall back on when they risked it all for my freedom. In good faith, I can not abandon my family and risk their well being for a clear and dangerous violation of human rights regardless of how obvious it is to me.

I am a coward. Instead, I play by the rules and try to make change slowly by banding with my fellow minded citizens. I get to know the people who are voted to represent me so that they know who they are representing and what my feelings are in attempts to slow or reverse the violation of my freedoms.

But one thing I DO NOT do is ask of others to do that which I can not do myself.

"What do you want GOAL to do for you?"

SHAME ON YOU.

Unless you are willing to sacrifice it all, how DARE you suggest that another do it in your stead. I am a coward, you are something far less.

People wear the "I'm a GOAL member" like a badge of pride, but do you do anything to further your own freedom? I'm not saying that we all have to be Jim Wallace and hang out at the State House. We hired him for that. But we CAN spread the word. We can volunteer to teach. We can bring a friend or co-worker to shoot and then sign them up to GOAL. We can stare down the lazy hunter who thinks that "they will never take my shotgun" and give him a dose of truth. We can be the example of what a good citizen is.

The degree of commitment is of course a personal choice, but keeping quiet, keeping a low profile, and hoping that nobody finds out your little secret helps nobody. Start small. Talk to people. Allow the subject to be just as legitimate as discussing golf or baseball. Take some pride in yourself.

There is a huge tide to turn. Public Opinion is driven by the media and we have no access to the media. The only way is to plug away ONE PERSON at a time.

"What do you want GOAL to do?"

SHAME ON YOU.

Couldn't be said better, Chris.

Although I'd take the red criminal stripe a step further and say that anyone
who can't be trusted shouldn't be allowed to roam around in public, drive, or
anything like that, either. (frankly im of the sort that thinks that the
sale of guns shouldn't be much different than buying a butcher knife, the
defective people are the REAL problem, not the inanimate objects!).

IMO the first and ast stand has always been trying to spread public awareness, and
I've always thought the best way to do this was to make more gun owners, or at least
getting people to rethink the LIES they carry around about gun ownership. There are
many people out there who are "on the fence" or indifferent. Making them aware of
what reality is, not all the crap the media sprays around like a bunch of sick animals.

One of the problems though, that we face as a group in MA, is it's very easy
to feel -already defeated- out of the gate in this place. Most of us are
always standing a step or two away from losing our rights. (All it takes
in this state, as you know it, is a crappy IA to ruin your day). Some would
even argue that fighting the crap in this state is a waste of time... and
sometimes I would almost agree iwth that. That being said, we stand
to lose a LOT more by -not- doing anything.... and it isn't just a "state"
thing either. Even if I moved out of MA, I would still support pro gun
efforts here, because of the fact that ANTIS would use this place as a
bellweather if they achieve total annihilation of gun owners here. The more
the crap states get away with abusing citizens, the more everyone else
thinks that its "okay" to persecute gun owners and ban guns. That has
huge implications nationally. GOAL exists as a sort of communal rallying
point, but we all need to call upon OURSELVES to make a personal effort as
well. It's about getting open minded people to accept the fact that
guns do nothing to detract from our existence here, they only add to
it. (And there ARE plenty of such people in this, and many other states,
fence sitters, whatever you want to call them.... even getting them to
understand why guns are important to some people is a big improvement
over what they know now, which is the "only cops, military, hunters, and
criminals have guns" mindset.

It's about sending hand-signed letters to legislators so they know
that we're watching what they do, and telling our friends that what they
do is reprehensible, if they choose the side of communism.

-Mike

So much for trying to get some focus on our group's intentions.

Chris, I bet you don't remember the day we spent stuffing envelopes and making phone calls at GOAL, do you? I even remember the subs we ordered. I guess you don't remember me bringing Eddie Eagle out to a public safety day either. I have been a member for years, and even have given away gift memberships. I have made trips, attended rallies, visited the statehouse, participated in the GOAL banquet, put on bumper stickers, written letters, contributed money, etc.

But why do I need scorn from you or anyone else for asking a few questions of where we might like to see our lobby group direct their energies?

Shame on those who can't look in a mirror and see how they might improve themselves.

1. Uniform licensing requirements, none of the additional crap that chiefs like to throw on. Realistic, but the judiciary would probably never enforce it and the chiefs would ignore them even if they tried to.

2. Shall issue. Not a chance in hell, see No. 1.

/rant on
The hell with that though, I'm leaving as soon as I can. I've been managing making a round of calls to politicos at least once a month or so for the past six months and it is getting depressing. They just don't seem to care about other people, have no faith in their fellow man, and don't want to hold anyone responsible for their actions.

Too many other things wrong with this state, I could be making the same money in Tennessee and have a house with a mortgage payment (with insurance) that is half my current rent. The battle is lost here, the younger generation that actually cares about RKBA and our legal system in general is not going to set down roots in such chaos. Those who are left are only going to further entrench the current system. There is no future here.
/rant off

All that being said, I voted for simplifying the laws so fewer good people get railroaded by the Fuzz. We can always play on the publics desire to protect the victim/criminal.

Last edited:
Coyote33 said:
So much for trying to get some focus on our group's intentions.

Chris, I bet you don't remember the day we spent stuffing envelopes and making phone calls at GOAL, do you? I even remember the subs we ordered. I guess you don't remember me bringing Eddie Eagle out to a public safety day either. I have been a member for years, and even have given away gift memberships. I have made trips, attended rallies, visited the statehouse, participated in the GOAL banquet, put on bumper stickers, written letters, contributed money, etc.

But why do I need scorn from you or anyone else for asking a few questions of where we might like to see our lobby group direct their energies?

Shame on those who can't look in a mirror and see how they might improve themselves.

Chris isn't talking about folks who actually DO something for their rights, Coyote. He's talking about the folks who bitch and complain and can't even pick up the phone to call their Rep or Sen. He's talking about those who complain and don't do a damn thing. THEY do NOT have a right to demand or ask for ANYthing. My favorite line is "Those who complain and do nothing have no right to complain."

"What do you want GOAL to do for you?"

SHAME ON YOU.
I agree. The question should be "What are you going to do to help GOAL defend our rights?" Most people in MA are anti-gun. Most MA legislators are anti-gun. GOAL is fighting a rear-guard action and needs all of our help to simply not lose any more ground.

That's great, but they need more than just our membership money. They need members calling legiscritters, helping on campaigns, etc.

I'd like to see the facts about legal gun ownership vs. criminal gun usage publicized. I'd like to see GOAL confront these politicians during their debates or in some other public forum ask the tough questions and display the documentation to back up the fact that gun control doesn't deter gun crime. I'd like the politicians to answer why every time there is an atrocity with a firearm some idiot proposes stricter gun control and licensing procedures for the legal gun owners. Ask why the criminals get light sentences for gun crimes. Ask why they are trying to eliminate our second ammendment rights and why they choose to pursue a personal agenda rather than a fair representation for all people of the state....

That's what I'd like to see.

M1911 said:
That's great, but they need more than just our membership money. They need members calling legiscritters, helping on campaigns, etc.

Oh that I do anyway.... If nothing more than to annoy them!

How many people have you seen at your club bitching and complaining, but when asked have not even renewed their GOAL membership let alone written a letter to their legislator?

Less than 10% of the gun owners in MA belong to GOAL. That sounds like a very target rich environment for recruiting.

Yes, dues alone isn't the answer, but it helps to get Jon an assistant to help promote more training. It keeps someone in the office to answer the phone when Jim, Jon, and Nancy are on the road spreading the word.

I've been a life member for quite some time now. It was cheap when i did it, but I still give every year.

Every course I teach gets the lecture about how important it is to belong to GOAL just to know when the laws change.

It takes so little to make a big difference. If every member would recruit just one person, we'd DOUBLE our membership. Twice the funds, twice the voice, twice the population we reach with the truth.

Even a small token like calling up and thanking them for their tireless work might turn a bad day better for the staff.

There is a difference in being a part of something and just belonging.

Even so, if you have something you want to discuss, I know that Jim would be happy to sit down and talk with you. He's always looking for clubs to invite him to speak to the membership - few clubs avail themselves of this.

How many people have you seen at your club bitching and complaining, but when asked have not even renewed their GOAL membership let alone written a letter to their legislator?
More than a few have told me that they won't join NRA/GOAL (take your pick) because they didn't stop gun law XYZ from being enacted in MA. As for what they personally did to stop the gun law....

Sigh.

I'm a life member of the NRA and GOAL. I contribute to and volunteer for my A-rated rep and senator. I try to be a good role model. I often instruct new shooters (doing a shoot for my wife's company in a few weeks).

Too many of our fellow shooters are just along for the ride. They need to help pull some weight.

Last edited:
I would like to see GOAL back a lawsuit to declare that FOB means what the uniform comercial code says it means (ie, the sale takes place at the location where the order is received). It's a cop-out for GOAL to claim there is nothing they can do about it, since it would be very easy to find a plaintiff with standing (any GOAL member turned down by an out of state vendor would qualify). It may be beyond the financial scope of GOAL but, if not, it's worth considering.

Other thoughts:

1. If we get uniform license criteria, it's not going to be pretty. We could end up with a NJ or MD style system where a license is required to own a handgun, but only persons of privilege, power and influence can get an actual carry permit. We need to be careful here, or we'll have another debacle like conversion of "reason for issuance" to "restriction".

2. The only way the > 10 round magazine thing has a prayer is to add another class of license (perhaps the "AA"). Such a proposal pits the desire of the bureaucrats to have another form to deal with and the chiefs to have another item they get to have discretion on against the general distaste for doing anything that gun owners like.

Chris said:
It takes so little to make a big difference. If every member would recruit just one person, we'd DOUBLE our membership. Twice the funds, twice the voice, twice the population we reach with the truth.

I feel the guilt a little bit but I've also felt the itch to get a little more involved. Most of the people I hang around with have guns. I also know that most don't keep their GOAL and NRA memberships valid. After I read this entire post I called my brother-in-law and talked to him a little about some of the posts in this thread. Coincidentally enough we are going to our niece's birthday party today so I told him to bring his checkbook and I would bring the GOAL application. I also have a friend in Natick who is applying for his LTC so I will jump on him to join GOAL and the NRA. I'll make him join this site too as it's a wonderful resourse for all gun owners.

I will work on others I know and take a more vocal stance at my club as well.

I try and listen to what GOAL says and take the time and write my reps here in the state. I know the buffoons in DC are hopeless.

But if they could, I'd like to see GOAL revise some of the laws. I remember reading in a thread here that a Mass. SCJ heard how that if you were convicted of a misdemeanor that years and years later was turned into a felony then you were disqualified for a firearm because you have a felony conviction.

The SJC saw that aspect as uncosnititional iirc, and urged that they should try and get that aspect infront of the Mass. Supreme Court to be remedied.

Right now, I'd have to say that the biggest problem facing MA gun owners is the license issuing system... particularly with regard to "may issue" LTCs.

Breaking down the barriers one step at a time and working forward, my priority(s) would be...

1) Establishing consistency in the issuance of MA Class A and B LTCs.

2) Prohibiting CLEOs from adding or making up their own rules and
requirements.

3) Combining Class A and Class B LTC into one permit.

4) Making LTCs for purchase and possession "shall issue".

5) Doing away with requiring any license/permit for purchase and posession of
a firearm.

6) Shall issue for CCW.

In a perfect world (state), the legislature would remedy all the above by enacting a single bill in a single session, but hell will freeze over before that happens. [frown]

At the very least, I'd be thrilled to see my first two wishes happen.

Skald said:
But if they could, I'd like to see GOAL revise some of the laws. I remember reading in a thread here that a Mass. SCJ heard how that if you were convicted of a misdemeanor that years and years later was turned into a felony then you were disqualified for a firearm because you have a felony conviction.

The SJC saw that aspect as uncosnititional [sic] iirc, and urged that they should try and get that aspect infront [sic] of the Mass. Supreme Court to be Remedied [sic].

The "Mass. SJC" IS "the Mass. Supreme Court." SJC stands for Supreme Judicial Court.

I have not heard of any such case. Perhaps you mean that certain misdemeanors which were not previously statutory disqualifiers became so because of Chapter 180.

This made it an ex post facto law for all practical purposes, although the authors and courts deny that on the grounds that the denials are administrative, not criminal. Imposing a specific date of Chapter 180's enactment would solve that problem and make the FLRB largely unnecessary.

Last edited:
Rob Boudrie said:
2. The only way the > 10 round magazine thing has a prayer is to add another class of license (perhaps the "AA"). Such a proposal pits the desire of the bureaucrats to have another form to deal with and the chiefs to have another item they get to have discretion on against the general distaste for doing anything that gun owners like.

I guess what they call "high capacity" (LTC-A) is actually just medium capacity everywhere else.

I still want to see the castle doctrine expanded beyond the home and I want protection from lawsuits in a righteous shooting. Shame a guy has to pay a lawyer $40,000 because he defended himself or others from harm.

Simplify the laws, keep putting pressure on so Class A LTC is available statewide. Help getting legislation passed, and keep the public informed of bad legislation, keep backing up how anti gun laws don't work, with statistics that show it doesn't.

As far as the AG regs go...the voters dropped that ball last November.......... We had a chance and we blew it. Simple as that. GOAL shouldn't have to shoulder that responsiblity. MA voters are a bunch of idiots.......proven in the last election. The only slight positive change voted for was in Central MA as it stood solidly Republican....(with the exception of that f***ing Commie McGovern)....East and West....moonbats prevail. Until that changes.....nothing will change.

Last edited:
Nice poll, but I would love to see GOAL focus on making MA a "Shall Issue" state, Sunset the useless AWB, and remove the AG's power to develop an approved roster.

Don't worry, my master plan is to get back to NH.

I'd like it if all towns/cities have the same criteria for letting people get their LTC's.

Severe criminal history - No guns
Basic criminal history - Restricted license
No criminal history or psychological faults - ALP LTC

Hey; one can dream, can't he?

What would you consider Basic criminal history?
I got PC'd a month after my 18th birthday drunk when I was a kid [laugh] O crap I got a restricted!!!!! That was over 17 years ago and I havn't had a speeding tix since I hope I can get my ALP before I die lol..
"Shall Issue" state"

Last edited:
Agree the primary barrier is with the population (yeah, and the leaders they/we have elected).

Work to eliminate the AWB foolishness, and in doing so, the magazine capacity limit. Even if it's just for LTC-A's (hey, they're supposed to be worthy to own large-caps anyway, right?). The problem is selling this in a way that the media and Dems won't present as "soft on crime" or "selling-out to the gun lobby" blah blah. There's a lot of fear, but also also statistics and logic on our side. I think the tide has been SLOWWWWLY turning.

Or maybe call it economic stimulus -- how many out there would upgrade to a full-featured AR if the ban went away tomorrow?

Let me be blunt.

Any gunowner that lives in Mass and ISN'T a member of GOAL has kind of given up his right to bitch about the gun laws there.

I don't think that's completely fair. I think if you are not a member of Comm2a, the NRA, GOAL or any organization OR you haven't written your state representatives... then you've got not right to complain. I've written my representative and Senators Kerry and Brown several times now and my family is a member of the NRA. I've taken people to the range and taught them about firearms and have been apart of several online communities that do the same. But because I'm not a GOAL member I shouldn't have a hope of changing our gun laws...? Hardly.

Back on Topic: I wish that the magazine capacity restriction was removed. I wish the license restrictions were removed. I wish we had PERMANENT licenses (hey man a guy can dream.) that would not expire unless we broke the laws.

So, it is not too late to submit legislation. Anyone want to make a newer poll, or think this is good enough for starters?

Back
Top Bottom