What would you do?

Pilgrim

NES Member
RETIRED, at home or wherever I want to be
Last year I got one of the numbered NES lowers from the long awaited group buy, and have been slowly collecting the parts I need to build it into a Vietnam era styled A1. I have an LPK on order from the current group buy.

With everyone being out of everything during the crazy period we've just been thru, it's been a slow process.

I found a perfect a1 stripped upper, charging handle, hand guard, stock, grip and a few other pieces.

I've been waiting for an affordable barrel assembly to come along, and with bolt assemblies getting more plentiful, I'd be nearly there.

Yesterday, I came across this:

arbarrel%20800x277.jpg

for a price I couldn't pass on. It's perfect and it's new and it's preban..complete with front sight. I don't know the age but I think it's real early.

So now I have three choices:

1) cut off the bayo lug and weld on a compensator and use my NEW lower

2) find a preban lower,and type 1 flash hider and sell off the NES lower. I doubt I'll ever build another.

3) neither of the above, just match the preban upper to the post ban lower.

I know #3 is not legal (stupid, but not legal) and I of course I will not do this.

So which would you guys do? Where and how much would a pre ban lower go for? How about an original style flash suppressor?

I guess what I do will depend on how much it will cost me to get preban stuff to match the barrel.

Advise is appreciated.

I think that if you want it "correct", go with a preban lower to make it right.
I started gathering parts for one but all I have so far is an upper.

Number 2 - sort of.

You don't have to totally remove the bayo lug. I'd pick a legal compensator that retains the look of the old flash hider, and have whoever welds it on throw a bead in a strategic location on the lug so that a bayonet can no longer be attached.

if your trying to build a veitnam era AR, why are you using a new lower?

a new lower has features that older ones dont... (like the bump around the mag release, right?)

if your trying to build a veitnam era AR, why are you using a new lower?

a new lower has features that older ones dont... (like the bump around the mag release, right?)

also the rounded shell deflector instead of the pyramid-style one as well, right?

Stoney Pete got a good buy at Zero Hour for an original Colt AR15. It's so nice and light compared to newer models. Like you, one was my duty weapon too, and I like the original. I know you like surplus stuff, and you have an affinity for the REAL M16 as we were issued. At this point in our lives, why mess with second best? Go for the gusto! Sell off your parts and buy an original one. I'm sure Marco at Zero Hour can help you out. Maybe sell one of your other guns to make the difference in the money. I think you can get a pretty cherry stock original for under $1500 if you look around.

I have a Bushmaster and three new lowers now, and it doesn't look like I'll build any of them out, but I would like to have a pre-ban original... just because!!!

(I'm being nice and not saying sell me your 29-2 and you'll have most of the money.[smile])

option 4

Move to NH, then build the rifle any way you want.

I'm sorry that was rude. I vote for get a preban lower and do it the way you intended.

uppers arent controlled by the definitions pre- post-ban, lowers are.

That being said, I think you should find a pre-ban lower to use that Bad LArry on.

I have a Bushmaster and three new lowers now, and it doesn't look like I'll build any of them out.
)

uh...why my friend, would you do that! It's thanks to you that I even got in on the second group buy at all. I simply won't let you leave all three unbuilt. At least one MUST be a rifle. What's the road block? What part/s do you need. Make no mistake. We're getting this done. Don't make me get in a car and head east.[wink]

RD

Back
Top Bottom